Should I Be Concerned About My Frogspawn?

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a while just gave up and rode the ride. They all died eventually and haven't have the courage to get another since. Unique Corals has some nice big colonies for sale though and am considering taking the risk. From what I understand its most likely Vibrio bacteria devouring compromised tissue after some sort of trauma or insult. No way to prevent, or even slow down progression that I have come across in the forums.
That really sucks. I was doing some reading on it to learn up just in case and it sounds like a real nightmare. I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I love my euphyllia and really don’t want to deal with that kind of devastation.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you the best of luck with him. I am pretty attached those types of corals just something about them is so great. I use to have a power head beaming 500gmh at my hammer and never saw that happen. sure it was not happy for a good month but not damage like that.
Thank you. Gonna do what I can and hope for the best. They are my favorites.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FS looks to be extending polyps still. Though I agree it’s not as puffy as it should be. I want to offer a possible idea that maybe it died back once upon a time and that’s the skeleton that you see when it detracts at night but has since healed maybe. If It puffs up regularly and you see more of the tentacles it’s probably fine. Again just an idea. Good luck

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my euphyllia eventually do this. I've tried changing flow, lighting and positioning to no avail. I've given up on them for now. Everything else does just fine.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head ended up coming off so that sucks.

IMG_1839.jpg

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head ended up coming off so that sucks.

IMG_1839.jpg
I haven’t had luck keeping polyps alive once they’ve done this “polyp bailout” but other people have. It’s a stress response of some kind but it’s not the end of the line.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had luck keeping polyps alive once they’ve done this “polyp bailout” but other people have. It’s a stress response of some kind but it’s not the end of the line.
Yeah I'm doing some more reading up on it. One guy said he really nursed a polyp after a bailout and it ended up growing into a large colony. I will do my best with it and see what happens. As long as it is alive there seems to be a chance of a full recovery.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm doing some more reading up on it. One guy said he really nursed a polyp after a bailout and it ended up growing into a large colony. I will do my best with it and see what happens. As long as it is alive there seems to be a chance of a full recovery.
Good luck hope to hear good news

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like coral warefare to me.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a head just peel off like that. I'm not sure it's the flow since it seems like the flow is what pushes the head back onto the skeleton. Am I seeing that correctly?

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a head just peel off like that.
After doing more research on it a lot of people have said they don't know quite what causes it but it can be caused by unfavorable conditions at its current location which can mean a number of things. It can be considered a last ditch effort for the coral to survive by killing its connective tissue in order to eject itself from the skeleton to move somewhere else. One of the other euphyllia may have been bullying it or it didn't like something in the water or it didn't like the flow or it didn't like the light.

I'm going to glue the polyp to a plug or small piece of rock and try to keep it alive and nurse it back to health somewhere else in the tank. A lot of people say that once the polyp bails out like this it is done but I'm going to at least try to keep it. Would be a shame for it to die completely.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange. I can't blame you for not giving up. I had, or still have, a frag of FS just like that. In my system it receded to the point where it looked like a bare skeleton. Just like in your pic where the polyp completely detached. Expect it receded and didn't detach, but I kept it in the tank and got my nutrients in check. Which caused the receding in the 1st place. Come to find out... I didn't have enough nitrates and phosphates. After a couple weeks it started growing back and is now one of the healthiest corals in my tank. So it definitely won't hurt to try nursing it.

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious if you were able to bring it back? A head of my frogspawn bailed and is sitting on the sand. The polyps still look super healthy. The rest of the colony is flourishing so I have no idea why it happened..

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back