Should I Be Concerned About My Frogspawn?

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut off the powerhead to feed the corals and this is what I notice.

frogspawn 2 11-1-19.jpg

Frogspawn 11-1-19.jpg

It looks like it is ripped away from its base. Flow is pretty relaxed in the tank and it has been extended the most I've ever seen it the past few days along with the rest of my euphyllia. This is the first time I've seen it like this. When the flow is back on it looks like a normal happy frogspawn. I'm pretty concerned but should I be? Any advice is appreciated.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to just leave it alone for now and hope it can heal if it is ripped. Haven't seen anything like this during my research so I really am not sure what's going on. No specific trauma occurred that I am aware of to make this happen but it does look bad. Here is a pic of it with the flow on for comparison:

frogspawn 3 11-1-19.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure about brown jelly but it does look like its dying. Has your tank changed recently?

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is pretty young at only 3 months old but I have been doing my best to keep things as stable as possible.

Parameters have been:
Salinity - 1.025/1.026
Cal - between 420 and 450
Magnesium - has been crazy not sure if test kit is off - has read 1395 and then 1500 another day
Alkalinity - around 8.6
Temp 79
PH 8.2

Flow is not very strong. Have two torches nearby that are gently swaying but not looking like a tree in a hurricane.

Only thing that has changed recently is a water change on Wednesday. Everything has seemingly been happy since then.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is pretty young at only 3 months old but I have been doing my best to keep things as stable as possible.

Parameters have been:
Salinity - 1.025/1.026
Cal - between 420 and 450
Magnesium - has been crazy not sure if test kit is off - has read 1395 and then 1500 another day
Alkalinity - around 8.6
Temp 79
PH 8.2

Flow is not very strong. Have two torches nearby that are gently swaying but not looking like a tree in a hurricane.

Only thing that has changed recently is a water change on Wednesday. Everything has seemingly been happy since then.
put the torches 9inches away they can release sweepers at night this could be damage from over time.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has same parameters as you I have a 40g breeder aio just a few months older then yours. seems like something nipped it or bumped it or the torches released sweepers and touched it. idk just does not seem like your water.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has same parameters as you I have a 40g breeder aio just a few months older then yours. seems like something nipped it or bumped it or the torches released sweepers and touched it. idk just does not seem like your water.

Yeah this is the current positioning. I'm going to give them their new home tomorrow and glue them to the rocks and give the frog some space. Everything has been thriving for the past few weeks so it was surprising to find it like that. It has only been extending further and further and then today I see it looking like it was messed with. Only other inhabitants are 2 clowns some snails and a cleaner shrimp.

11-1-19.jpg

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
current looks pretty strong. do you have a wave maker controlling the current making it random?

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an icecap gyre 3k. It is currently at the lowest setting flowing in one direction but is still stronger than I want. It was higher before I got any of the euphyllia and I had to turn it down to the lowest and then they seemed happier with that. If I go on the random setting its lowest output is even higher and really blows things around and it is too much for them.

I have been wanting to bite the bullet on a different powerhead as a replacement. I think what I have now is just too much for my euphyllia and the flow can't go any lower.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an icecap gyre 3k. It is currently at the lowest setting flowing in one direction but is still stronger than I want. It was higher before I got any of the euphyllia and I had to turn it down to the lowest and then they seemed happier with that. If I go on the random setting its lowest output is even higher and really blows things around and it is too much for them.

I have been wanting to bite the bullet on a different powerhead as a replacement. I think what I have now is just too much for my euphyllia and the flow can't go any lower.
there is a trick if you point it at the glass it bounces it off and that will slow/ disrupt the flow a little. I have mine aimed at a rock and the rock helps disperse the flow. you might wanna try that for the time being. I would keep it on random mode though corals rely did it.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, hope things turn out ok. Dealt w BJD a while back, slowly took Euphyllia one after another no matter what I tried. Everything else never looked better, but was removing heads almost daily until all were gone. That, sucked.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, hope things turn out ok. Dealt w BJD a while back, slowly took Euphyllia one after another no matter what I tried. Everything else never looked better, but was removing heads almost daily until all were gone. That, sucked.
How did you finally get rid of it? Have you gotten any more euphyllia since then?

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you finally get rid of it? Have you gotten any more euphyllia since then?
After a while just gave up and rode the ride. They all died eventually and haven't have the courage to get another since. Unique Corals has some nice big colonies for sale though and am considering taking the risk. From what I understand its most likely Vibrio bacteria devouring compromised tissue after some sort of trauma or insult. No way to prevent, or even slow down progression that I have come across in the forums.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O I see they look great. I feel stumped now on the FP. cuz the others seem fine from the pick
Yeah that’s why I’m concerned. Maybe the torches are acting bad and stinging it but who knows. I’m going to do some moving around tomorrow and do what I can to nurse the frog back to good health. Really don’t want to lose it.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you the best of luck with him. I am pretty attached those types of corals just something about them is so great. I use to have a power head beaming 500gmh at my hammer and never saw that happen. sure it was not happy for a good month but not damage like that.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back