Should I dose nitrate/PO4?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never told me how to calculate weight Randy.

What is the formula for g/mol to percentages.?! I need to be able to calculate the differences in molecular weight. Currently using a coral farmer’s Excel program that’s very accurate. Tired of bugging him. Lol

Repeating the above, Take the formula, such as Na3PO4, look up each atom’s weight in a periodic table, and add them together. If it is a hydrate of some sort, you also need to add the water.

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am having the same issue as the OP. I started with dry rock mainly and some live. Now my tank is reading 0 for both nitrates and phosphates and have a dino bloom.

I have been dosing brightwell nitrates and phosphates and my tank continues to read 0. Do I just continue continue to dose daily until I get some kind of reading? It seems like my rocks are consuming the nitrates and phosphates quicker than the volume that I am dosing.

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to tell you "what" to do as I am new to dosing these chemicals myself - but I have had good success using DIY mixtures to dose nitrates and phosphates and now, only after ~ 9 days, am measuring both - 4.6 ppm NO3 and 0.3 PO4 tested with hanna 2 days ago. It does appear that my tank is taking up the additions and I am currently testing ~3 days to avoid overdosing and also to dial in how much to dose to stay above 0/0. I am currently dosing about 0.88 ppm of NaNO3 daily and 0.05 ppm of Na2HPO4 daily. So far this has been up and down with testing every 3 days - one day I tested over 9 ppm NO3, but then 3 days later saw 4.6 ppm.
Edit - same with PO4 - 0.0 one day 0.3 the next test.

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to tell you "what" to do as I am new to dosing these chemicals myself - but I have had good success using DIY mixtures to dose nitrates and phosphates and now, only after ~ 9 days, am measuring both - 4.6 ppm NO3 and 0.3 PO4 tested with hanna 2 days ago. It does appear that my tank is taking up the additions and I am currently testing ~3 days to avoid overdosing and also to dial in how much to dose to stay above 0/0. I am currently dosing about 0.88 ppm of NaNO3 daily and 0.05 ppm of Na2HPO4 daily. So far this has been up and down with testing every 3 days - one day I tested over 9 ppm NO3, but then 3 days later saw 4.6 ppm.
Edit - same with PO4 - 0.0 one day 0.3 the next test.

Thank you for the response. Sounds like it will take some time for the tank to show up measurable numbers in the beginning. I am using brightwell no3 and po4 but can see it getting costly after some time. Do you know if there are any videos on how to make up the DIY versions of these products? I already have them in my Amazon cart but want to make sure I know how to mix them for dosing before I purchase them.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. Sounds like it will take some time for the tank to show up measurable numbers in the beginning. I am using brightwell no3 and po4 but can see it getting costly after some time. Do you know if there are any videos on how to make up the DIY versions of these products? I already have them in my Amazon cart but want to make sure I know how to mix them for dosing before I purchase them.

I do not know if there are videos on it but there are a number of threads here about mixing and dosing.

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a link in this thread that tells you what to do. it is really simple. I made mine using the loudwolf phosphate dibasic by mixing 5g in to 1 liter of water. That made a 0.05 ppm solution @ 10 ml. The nitrate came from kitchen alchemy and that solution was 50g / 1 liter making a 0.44 ppm per 10 ml. The calculator is nice and you can adjust your strength based on how much liquid you want to pour.

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a link in this thread that tells you what to do. it is really simple. I made mine using the loudwolf phosphate dibasic by mixing 5g in to 1 liter of water. That made a 0.05 ppm solution @ 10 ml. The nitrate came from kitchen alchemy and that solution was 50g / 1 liter making a 0.44 ppm per 10 ml. The calculator is nice and you can adjust your strength based on how much liquid you want to pour.

I think I got it. I have 90 gallons of volume. So if I mix 28 grams with 500 ml of Rodi, that will make a solution that will increase .1 ppm per 1 ml so every 10 ml will increase no3 by 1 ppm. I like to deal with whole numbers to make the dosing easier. Does that sound about right?

How is your dino doing now that you have measurable numbers?

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it. I have 90 gallons of volume. So if I mix 28 grams with 500 ml of Rodi, that will make a solution that will increase .1 ppm per 1 ml so every 10 ml will increase no3 by 1 ppm. I like to deal with whole numbers to make the dosing easier. Does that sound about right?

How is your dino doing now that you have measurable numbers?
Sounds 'about' right, but I'd have to punch the numbers into the calculator to know for sure. Also, I was told to use the potassium nitrate/phosphate drop down as sodium versions is not in there - but that would be 'close' enough.

My dinos are gone. Between dosing, removal and the UV light - all is headed in a better direction.

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds 'about' right, but I'd have to punch the numbers into the calculator to know for sure. Also, I was told to use the potassium nitrate/phosphate drop down as sodium versions is not in there - but that would be 'close' enough.

My dinos are gone. Between dosing, removal and the UV light - all is headed in a better direction.
That is great to hear. Congratulations. There is hope. Lol.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sounds right. Sodium Nitrate is 73% nitrate where Potassium Nitrate is 61% nitrate so it will be a little stronger.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am having the same issue as the OP. I started with dry rock mainly and some live. Now my tank is reading 0 for both nitrates and phosphates and have a dino bloom.

I have been dosing brightwell nitrates and phosphates and my tank continues to read 0. Do I just continue continue to dose daily until I get some kind of reading? It seems like my rocks are consuming the nitrates and phosphates quicker than the volume that I am dosing.

Yes, keep dosing if you believe the kits.

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update on this thread that started 7.24 - nearly 1 month ago - of me asking "should I dose NO3 and PO4?" I am happy to report that the dinos are gone and the cyano that 'happened' has retreated as well. Current tank values are - MAG - 1280, ALK - 10.9 (this has went up a tad from 9.8 steady), CA - 450 (steady), NO3 7.6 and PO4 0.10. PO4 rose from a steady 0.05 on todays test - fluke? I don't know and will test again in 3 days. Have not dosed any NO3/PO4 for several days also.

Now the 'issue' as I see it - I had a green octospawn that was and had been doing fantastic for about 2 months. 2 days ago he started losing flesh - do you believe this could be to the 'new' water parameters? Again, the only real changes are NO3 and PO4 and a slightly elevated dKH. My branching hammer is doing well along with all other LPS/Softies/zoas. My few SPS are not doing well and have been slowly declining for about a month (since the dino outbreak). I know I put SPS in too fast - really wanted to try a few as I have never had luck with them. What do you all think?
Thanks,
Janson

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and another update - the dinos appear to be coming back in some places? Even though NO3 and PO4 are now elevated, is this normal? 4 days ago test was 8.9 NO3 and 0.4 PO4.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back