Should I get a Snowflake Eel?

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to get a small snowflake eel, and I am always interested in getting one. Currently, right now, I have a softie/lps 40-gallon long tank housing 5 fish, and a cleaner shrimp.
The fish I have is a juvenile Tomini Tang, Leopard wrasse, an adult Pj Cardinalfish, a wheelri's prawn goby, and an adult silver belly wrasse. Are there any major risks if I get a snowflake eel in this system? And will getting a small snowflake eel affect how it thinks of the fish as it gets older? Any advice would be appreciated.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I was told, anything that can fit in the eel's mouth has a good chance of ending up there.
Not even that. I fed my eel a dead mollie that was thicc as hell and my baby snowflake still shredded that thing. They can be vicious.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will end up with a snowflake eel and a tomini tang.
This, any small slow moving fish will be food, same with any thin/slim bodied fish such as wrasses and tilefish.

Upvote 0

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 40 it will become very cramped for a fully grown snowflake eel. And they grow pretty rapidly to 12+ inches. At that size the only one that would be for sure safe is the tang. The shrimp wouldnt last a night. The other fish would live fine for a few months. You can do your best to keep it well fed, but they are a prime species of "if you feed it alot, it grows faster" type.

YES snowflakes main source of food will always be first and foremost, crustaceans, but they will rip and tear a fish in a heartbeat if they can catch it while they are hungry. Especially slim long fish like wrasses and gobies, more specifically ones that occupy the bottom of the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys, I decided against putting a snowflake eel in my 40-gallon tank. I am now planning on setting up a 75-gallon reef tank for a snowflake eel. I am so excited!

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back