Should I get seahorses?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve been in the hobby for around a year and love it. But I’m eager to try something a bit more... uncommon. I have a low flow reef tank with Gorgonians, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, and a Kenya Tree. I was thinking about adding dwarf seahorses... has anyone ever kept these? Are they terribly difficult to keep? What equipment would you recommend for keeping them?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf seahorses need to be kept on their own. You would hardly ever see them if you put them in a reef tank as they are only about and inch long overall give or take a little.
Many corals are dangerous for seahorses, even some mushrooms.
Their feeding needs are live foods which entail a LOT of work keeping up long term.
If you really want dwarfs, do it in a species only tank as you can keep, say about 50 in a 5g tank.
You need a way to circulate the system such that they can't be sucked up into overflows or power heads.
I use open ended air lines.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf seahorses need to be kept on their own. You would hardly ever see them if you put them in a reef tank as they are only about and inch long overall give or take a little.
Many corals are dangerous for seahorses, even some mushrooms.
Their feeding needs are live foods which entail a LOT of work keeping up long term.
If you really want dwarfs, do it in a species only tank as you can keep, say about 50 in a 5g tank.
You need a way to circulate the system such that they can't be sucked up into overflows or power heads.
I use open ended air lines.
Could you do species only in a large tank say a forty?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A species only tank is the absolute best way to go for BEST chances of success in seahorse keeping.
Minimum tank size recommendations are 30g for ONE pair of standard sized seahorses with some saying an additional 15g for each additional pair. However, Dan Underwood of seahorsesouce.com has lately recommended 25-30g extra for each extra pair of seahorses.
Before you actually make a decision, I'd suggest reading the "stickies" at the top of the forum as there is A LOT TO LEARN regarding this hobby and one or two threads will not provide sufficient information for making the proper decision.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species only is absolutely the best way to go for the large seahorses, and absolutely a must for the dwarves. But if you meant dwarves in the 40 gallon that is MUCH too large . . . dwarves need a small tank to be able to find their food easily.
Sue

Back