Should I keep vaccuuming sand bed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter carnicomh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2023
Messages
91
Reaction score
28
Location
Charlotte
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scoured this site for a long while but can't narrow it down. I've been vaccuuming my sand bed weekly, 1/4 at a time, since my cuc was so small. Kicking myself for that now, and I realize this might have been too frequent with the vaccuuming. I'm adding a proper cuc next week, and am wondering if I should stop or lessen the frequency. Will it have negative effects on the tank if I do stop? There will be loads of inverts to stir it up, but I don't want to cause catastrophic changes to the system if I stop...TIA!
 
I don’t think there is a one size fits all answer to this. Also a hotly debated topic with minimal hard data.

My experience/belief is the types of pollution/problems that come from not cleaning the sand are likely to show up in year 2-3. Mortalities or challenges that are often miss diagnosed or chalked up to mysterious “old tank syndrome”

Also my experience that cleaning it all at once is high risk. if you clean 10% of the sand bed every month or so it will likely avoid both problems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new