Should I quit my job?

Should I quit my job so I can be here full time?

• You are on here all the time anyway, why quit now?

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Yes, Retirement is beautiful

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No, Keep working until you are 72

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard
ZomboMeme 18022021123352.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I have had a reef tank in my garage since we moved back to southern California in 2007. I've had tanks much of my life but I've never wanted to automate them as I prefer to tinker. I'm thinking about changing and getting a reef controller or just hiring a service to come take care of the system. 150 gallons of water in two tanks and a sump. I get free ocean water at Scripps in La Jolla. I come here to work and learn and see what other folks are doing with artificial ocean keeping. More progress has been made in keeping reefs by folks tinkering in aquariums than by all the marine scientist messing around underwater trying to measure the rate of reef extinctions by CO2. Not that science is invalid, its more like a rusty old machine that requires money to tell a fortune than a reporter of facts, but I digress a bit.
I started my job with the state almost 30 years ago, a biologist and now an "Environmental Scientist." I was supposed to start April 1st but since that was a Friday my start date (regrettably) became April 4. I joined here awhile ago but I figured I would check this place out and see if I wanted to stay before I introduced myself. I hope to get a build thread badge but first I have to finish scraping the algae off the acrylic. I've been in restoration mode for about 2 years following an aefw & pink turf algae battle caused by random additions of things that were supposed to be clean. So my coming out day is today, April 1 2021. I am thinking about quiting my job soon, 4/3/21 is just around the corner. Should I quit?

Kris
Welcome!!

We dream of fish. We dream of doing nothing but fish. If financially LONG term you can go without any income, live the dream and quit your job... however, its hard to have a small fortune and reef tank... it helps if you start with a BIG fortune...

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Have you checked for stray voltage?

we can’t advise you on quitting until we know this important information.

Also turn off all the lights in your house for the next 4 days. If your job is still there, not much else you can do to get rid of it.

OP
OP
KrisReef

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long belated official welcome! As long as you can afford to do what you love, retiring and having more time to do it sounds great.
Yessir, thank you. I enjoy being here a lot more than working, but since I started working at home I am here a lot more than, well I probably shouldn't put all that in writing. :)

OP
OP
KrisReef

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Have you checked for stray voltage?

we can’t advise you on quitting until we know this important information.

Also turn off all the lights in your house for the next 4 days. If your job is still there, not much else you can do to get rid of it.
True story. I'm involved (tangential) with some contract negotiations and some folks can't wait to work at home and my wife can't wait for me to go back to work! I'm trying to help strike a balance in the deal that lets me work at home and get paid more to do it. I need a new house if I'm going to keep working at home, something like Buckingham Palace where I can live and reef in one wing and she can do her thing in the other. That's going to cost some coin!

OP
OP
KrisReef

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

We dream of fish. We dream of doing nothing but fish. If financially LONG term you can go without any income, live the dream and quit your job... however, its hard to have a small fortune and reef tank... it helps if you start with a BIG fortune...
Yup, working for reefing is the only reason I have to get up anymore. :)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting around to introducing myself. I have had a reef tank in my garage since we moved back to southern California in 2007. I've had tanks much of my life but I've never wanted to automate them as I prefer to tinker. I'm thinking about changing and getting a reef controller or just hiring a service to come take care of the system. 150 gallons of water in two tanks and a sump. I get free ocean water at Scripps in La Jolla. I come here to work and learn and see what other folks are doing with artificial ocean keeping. More progress has been made in keeping reefs by folks tinkering in aquariums than by all the marine scientist messing around underwater trying to measure the rate of reef extinctions by CO2. Not that science is invalid, its more like a rusty old machine that requires money to tell a fortune than a reporter of facts, but I digress a bit.
I started my job with the state almost 30 years ago, a biologist and now an "Environmental Scientist." I was supposed to start April 1st but since that was a Friday my start date (regrettably) became April 4. I joined here awhile ago but I figured I would check this place out and see if I wanted to stay before I introduced myself. I hope to get a build thread badge but first I have to finish scraping the algae off the acrylic. I've been in restoration mode for about 2 years following an aefw & pink turf algae battle caused by random additions of things that were supposed to be clean. So my coming out day is today, April 1 2021. I am thinking about quiting my job soon, 4/3/21 is just around the corner. Should I quit?

Kris
I enjoy your posts.... and you introduce now lol? This is the Cali way all I can surmise! As for 'quitting ' or carrying on, it sounds to my ears you are either dissatisfied or bored. Perhaps I am wrong. However in will say at 47 years young here, house almost paid, I have pretty much had it with my employer of 25 years. They don't listen to those in the field anymore.... in fact it's totally ignored. I have seen people promoted who didn't deserve to be, only because they were eager beavers with nothing concrete to offer. One reason I stayed out of office. Sorry to ramble....but I think you/I suffer from a similar issue. And we need to find our own niche at this point. Am I right?
And April 1st......ah there we are...

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, working for reefing is the only reason I have to get up anymore. :)
Sweet because I have some work for you in my home. Change socks daily, refill ATO, scrape glass, heat up burritos, etc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back