Should I search for a possible dead fish? Advice needed

Al Shellpone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone Im assuming my female clownfish killed my male clownfish. She was attacking the male all day(Monday) and by the next day(Tuesday) the clownfish was missing. Even though they lived in harmony for 4 months my theory was the male was too small(a baby when I got him) and could not live through her pecking and attacks. They never really seemed like a pair. He usually stayed in his corner and she usually hung out on the opposite side of the tank. I assume he died under my aquascape. I do have crabs and snails but is there a chance that they ate his body within 12 hours? Or should I take apart my aquascape to find the body so it doesn't spike my ammonia? I did do a 40% water change today. There is no evidence of his body anywhere. Also sorry for the million questions, but should I avoid getting a new clown fish for a while or is it ok to replace the male clownfish? Thank you to anyone who reads this and responds with some insight. My LFS had no answers and were pretty rude when I was asking them for some advice.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef will not be harmed let him be absorbed

our systems process ammonia bumps like a shock absorber. Test kits that aren’t digital might over indicate for days but a digital system wouldn’t move much at all. They are precise and we have complete tangs degrading in tanks on seneye and the system literally didn’t spike due to the shock absorber effect. (They didn’t want to take apart system for wedged tang, tracked it on seneye I scooped up the report in our collection threads)

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back