Should I Start Dosing 2 Part? New Acropora

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was searching eBay today and saw this Green Slimer Acropora for and I won the auction for $10. Kinda a impulse buy... just wondering do I need to start dosing 2 part before the coral is shipped in. I have a 29 gallon with some SPS, & LPS and nuterients are added with water changes. I do water changes every 8 days
After water change
8.6 KH
440calcium
1260-1290 mag

2nd day
8.6 Kh
440 calcium
1290 mag
20ppm nitrate

4th day
440 calcium
8.3 Kh
1275 mag

6th
450 cal
8.15 Kh
1290 mag

8th
420 cal
8 Kh
1290 mag

Some of the readings might be a little off.
Do I need to start dosing 2 part?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the demands of your system, but you might want to consider it simply to keep things more stable. Keep in mind a small frag will have a much smaller demand then a large colony so dosing might not be necessary day 1, but your frags will hopefully grow out and when they do, they will cause your parameters to drop faster unless you replace those elements fast enough to compensate.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimers grow very fast when they're happy but one frag isn't going to create much demand. Your numbers do suggest that some consumption is present. If you don't have any SPS currently, other biological sources of consumption might include growing LPS and tridacna clams. Abiotic precipitation could account for some or even all of that decrease. Assume it's biological consumption. If you do the math, a 0.6 drop in dKH over 8 days in 29 gallons of water equals a daily consumption of 2.95 mEq alkalinity. This isn't much. For example, if you were using B-Ionic 2-part, this would only be about 1 ml of each component per day.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimers grow very fast when they're happy but one frag isn't going to create much demand. Your numbers do suggest that some consumption is present. If you don't have any SPS currently, other biological sources of consumption might include growing LPS and tridacna clams. Abiotic precipitation could account for some or even all of that decrease. Assume it's biological consumption. If you do the math, a 0.6 drop in dKH over 8 days in 29 gallons of water equals a daily consumption of 2.95 mEq alkalinity. This isn't much. For example, if you were using B-Ionic 2-part, this would only be about 1 ml of each component per day.
Ok thank you so much! I didn’t know but once I get more corals and they get bigger I will definitely have to invest in 2 part.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some Monti’s and there my fastest growing coral. Any extra tips for the Green Slimers?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine right now with just water changes. I would go with that as long as you can.

Also OP, if you collect more sps and eventually do start dosing 2-part, I would very much recommend investing in a doser sooner rather than later. Easier for you, better for the livestock. :)

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any extra tips for the Green Slimers?

Before long, you will be asking how to make them stop. :)

This one started off 4 months ago as a 3 cm straight stick that I broke off a larger colony in another tank, and jammed in a hole on that magnetic wall rock in a fairly new setup. Not only do they grow ridiculously fast but they're also ridiculously hardy, withstanding conditions that kill off lesser corals. Most people wouldn't call any sps coral a 'weed' coral but honestly the green slimer comes close. Not that I find it unattractive! (Obviously if I didn't like it I wouldn't have it in two tanks.)

IMG_5480b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before long, you will be asking how to make them stop. :)

This one started off 4 months ago as a 3 cm straight stick that I broke off a larger colony in another tank, and jammed in a hole on that magnetic wall rock in a fairly new setup. Not only do they grow ridiculously fast but they're also ridiculously hardy, withstanding conditions that kill off lesser corals. Most people wouldn't call any sps coral a 'weed' coral but honestly the green slimer comes close. Not that I find it unattractive! (Obviously if I didn't like it I wouldn't have it in two tanks.)

IMG_5480b.jpg
I’m excited if it grows like a weed that means I can frag it YESSS!! I have it under a current marine LED I think I’ll have enough light but I heard and like what you said there very hardy. I’m excited to see it grow! I just hope my can grow fast and healthy. What are you params at?

Back