OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How noticeable are the scratches? Is it acrylic or glass?
It's glass, and yes, pretty noticeable.
I bought the tank second hand from a guy that had 3 huge pirhanas and a giant dinosaur of a pleco and apparently wasn't careful about cleaning the glass at all.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s upsetting. Well if you can find 2 tanks for the price of one then you should be set on both ends

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Eh, outside of larger water changes imho its negligible. Both are 4 ft tanks :thinking-face:. Always go bigger, even more so when its not your money!
The large water changes are kinda what I'm worries about.
With the 10g, it's super easy. I mix up a WC for my 3 home tanks and just bring 3g in to work with me. Simple and done in 10 mins. That won't be the case with a large tank. So I will definitely need to make trips out on Saturdays.
I don't know if I'm actually going to do a second work tank now lol I'm talking myself out of it now.
I just want a bigger, nicer one at home lol.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't do it, yet. I'm still thinking about it.
I have a lot going on right now haha... and I might be able to talk the good Doc I work for to buy a larger tank for work!
We spoke briefly yesterday, and he said sure, work some things up for me and let me know.
Sooooo..... I'm researching NEW tanks!!! I'm thinking a 75g or possibly up to 120. I don't know just yet! Depends on his budget lol
I've found both 75 - 120 to be great sized tanks, visually, flow, light options and spread. With that said a bigger tank does exponentially cost more time and money. Between 75-300, stability is similar, especially with today's tech and access to quality info, but you'll be using far less salt / additives / power to maintain a smaller aquarium. Yes, SPS will eventually fill a smaller tank, but it will also eventually fill the largest tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or they have this.....
16524760606565343630152790025785.jpg
I bought a similar tank - used - for $1000. It was a disaster for various reasons - if I had my choice - I would get the Red-Sea - assuming they would deliver and help set up. (i.e. no leaks, etc). According to my LFS - used tanks do not sell that well and if there is any scratching on the front glass of the Red Sea (which is common) - the value drops considerably. I would look closely at the condition. I would offer 750-950 delivered into your house.

Its likely that the stand will have to be disassembled to get it into your house wherever you want it - and the tank alone takes 2-4 people to move (2 with a struggle)

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought a similar tank - used - for $1000. It was a disaster for various reasons - if I had my choice - I would get the Red-Sea - assuming they would deliver and help set up. (i.e. no leaks, etc). According to my LFS - used tanks do not sell that well and if there is any scratching on the front glass of the Red Sea (which is common) - the value drops considerably. I would look closely at the condition. I would offer 750-950 delivered into your house.

Its likely that the stand will have to be disassembled to get it into your house wherever you want it - and the tank alone takes 2-4 people to move (2 with a struggle)
I think I am going to go back in there this weekend and do just that.
Unfortunately, if there's anything that has been solidified in my mind over the weekend at RAP, is that women are really just brushed away in this hobby.
@BroccoliFarmer or someone may have to come along and do the negotiations with me.

Every time I walk through my LFS, and walking through RAP NY, as a woman walking around alone (i.e. without a man next to me) no one even gives me a second look when I am looking at coral and unless I ask about something.
Sunday evening, once the raffles were over, I did an experiment.
I walked around to EVERY vendor, and not one single one tried to sell me anything. Not one. Because I was walking around without a man next to me.
Except, @RiptideAquaculture. Keep up the good work, Mitch!!!

SO!!
We will see if they will accept any type of offer from this chick right here!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to go back in there this weekend and do just that.
Unfortunately, if there's anything that has been solidified in my mind over the weekend at RAP, is that women are really just brushed away in this hobby.
@BroccoliFarmer or someone may have to come along and do the negotiations with me.

Every time I walk through my LFS, and walking through RAP NY, as a woman walking around alone (i.e. without a man next to me) no one even gives me a second look when I am looking at coral and unless I ask about something.
Sunday evening, once the raffles were over, I did an experiment.
I walked around to EVERY vendor, and not one single one tried to sell me anything. Not one. Because I was walking around without a man next to me.
Except, @RiptideAquaculture. Keep up the good work, Mitch!!!

SO!!
We will see if they will accept any type of offer from this chick right here!
A. Are you flirting with me? utubereefer might get jealous.
B. As much as I hate to agree with you, I do. I can easily see how people think this is a male hobby. Mostly cause we are sad and pathetic and you, well are not!

is that tank still there? Wow. I haven’t been there since I saw you that time.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A. Are you flirting with me? utubereefer might get jealous.
B. As much as I hate to agree with you, I do. I can easily see how people think this is a male hobby. Mostly cause we are sad and pathetic and you, well are not!

is that tank still there? Wow. I haven’t been there since I saw you that time.
I'm not sure, but I'm going to go down this weekend to find out.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get this too in every new store I go in. My one local knows me and knows I research and gives me respect and such, but new stores I swear I must be invisible. Apparently I have a very forgettable and 'don't help me' face, lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back