Should We Be Carbon dosing?

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the reason I asked. The Redfield ratio is as you said - a ratio of Carbon Nitrogen and Phosphorous - which we do not measure. So - I was trying to figure out how to get them back to 'natural ratios' - if we can't measure if they are outside 'natural ratios'?

It is my opinion that - at least within the organisms - the Redfield ratio does not change. Thats the point of the Redfield Ratio - and Its been shown (at least Redfield concluded) - that the concentrations in the water are the way they are because of the ratio in the phytoplankton - NOT the other way around - i.e. the chemicals in the water do not affect the ratio in phytoplankton.
Redfiled in Natural Sea has mostly same Redfiled Ratio but Reefs near Shores and Cliffs have dufferent values keeping in view Nutrients Intake from Land etc. But if we keep 1 No3 then Po4 must be around 1ppm which will Surely impede Growth. Having Said Closed Systems once established can Adopt Comfortably at any parameter within acceptable range like 5ppm no3 and .05-.10 po4 and over period of time Corals will Adopt to Your Settings. Thats beauty of Adabtability in Different sea conditions and Reef Nutrints levels as well in Oceans. Regarding Carbon Dosing i completed 16 weeks dosing and my max limit was 60 ml per day where No3 broke from Top 50ppm and then diwnward trend started till No3 is 5ppm and i dont Dose any more vinegar since then. If needed 10ml after 1 or 2 months brjnv no3 back to 2.5 immediately. Bacteria has been established and Bio Filtration Sweat Spot identified and With Continuous Water Changes i have 0 Algae and All Corals are Happy. Mu Tank Grew Full in 2 years. And I DONOT RUN ANY FILGER SOCKS AND NO AMINOS. (Cause my no3 at 5ppm)
Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
R

Reefology1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Redfiled in Natural Sea has mostly same Redfiled Ratio but Reefs near Shores and Cliffs have dufferent values keeping in view Nutrients Intake from Land etc. But if we keep 1 No3 then Po4 must be around 1ppm which will Surely impede Growth. Having Said Closed Systems once established can Adopt Comfortably at any parameter within acceptable range like 5ppm no3 and .05-.10 po4 and over period of time Corals will Adopt to Your Settings. Thats beauty of Adabtability in Different sea conditions and Reef Nutrints levels as well in Oceans. Regarding Carbon Dosing i completed 16 weeks dosing and my max limit was 60 ml per day where No3 broke from Top 50ppm and then diwnward trend started till No3 is 5ppm and i dont Dose any more vinegar since then. If needed 10ml after 1 or 2 months brjnv no3 back to 2.5 immediately. Bacteria has been established and Bio Filtration Sweat Spot identified and With Continuous Water Changes i have 0 Algae and All Corals are Happy. Mu Tank Grew Full in 2 years. And I DONOT RUN ANY FILGER SOCKS AND NO AMINOS. (Cause my no3 at 5ppm)
Happy Reefing.
I don't understand how keeping 1 NO3? influences pO4 1?

The point I was trying to make is that the Redfield ratio is a measure of C N and P in phytoplankton - and its not Co2, No3 and PO4. It was found/thought that the Ratio IN the phytoplankton is what influenced the concentrations in the water - not the other way around. I.e. no matter what you do to phytoplankton x - it will still have the same Redfield ratio. (That was the thought) - now it has been shown that sometimes the water influences the N/P ratios depending on nutrient levels - This was known in Redfield's time - and wasn't explained.

I'm all for individuals keeping whatever Nitrate/Phosphate (N/P)level they want. All I'm saying is that it has little if anything to do with the Redfield Ratio itself. I think you can also find numerous threads - with widely divergent N/P ratios -that claim various types of success for and against various corals and pests. But - a ratio of .16 No4 / .01 PO4 is the same as a ratio of 16/1 and the same as 160/10. Thus - IMHO its not the ratio thats important - its the actual numbers one is trying to achieve?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back