View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E97A159F-97B4-453F-ACC2-DF22B0191F96.jpeg
DA56FD58-AE8F-4FA1-9B82-D1BC86571A80.jpeg
AE101AB7-FA57-4601-A5B6-DE6DE567917D.jpeg
A08129BD-EFEE-4458-AEC0-C83764D626DE.jpeg
Not a 220 but a 60. All pukani. Love it. Easy to work with, can saw it and is really lite. I I soaked it in bleach for a week then treated it with LC for a week for phosphates rinsing it every day. No issues so far.
Nice progression. If I did anything other than a natural cure I would use bleach to make sure all the organic were for the rock.
Thanks

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! That is come awesome purple coralline algae growth.
Thanks

Thanks! Its growing like crazy, and I didn't do anything to kick start it. I love Marco Rocks btw...you just have to rise it really good. Like spray them down with a hose...you need some pressure to get all the fines out of it. But once you get it clean its been fantastic. I would definitely use it again.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that looks nicer, but its more expensive, is starboard. Its basically plastic board that you silicon to the bottom of your tank. It protects the entire bottom surface and looks pretty good and comes in all sorts of colors. I would look into it if you want to really jazz up and protect the bottom of your tank.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-black-king-starboard
That is a great idea. As long as the budget will allow it.lol

Thanks

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. As long as the budget will allow it.lol

Thanks

In hind sight I wished I used it. I didnt use anything. It would have been like $60 for my 120 gallon tank. Which is pretty reasonable. If I ever did a bare bottom...this is getting used for sure.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In hind sight I wished I used it. I didnt use anything. It would have been like $60 for my 120 gallon tank. Which is pretty reasonable. If I ever did a bare bottom...this is getting used for sure.
I would have to agree. To get one custom cut on the web page you gave us it would be $250 shipped. To save a catastrophic failure with falling rocks. It would be worth it.

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find 2 pieces that you can cut yourself and fit in there, it should be cheaper. You would have one heck of a time getting 1 large piece into a tank, unless its eurobraced. I also think that 1/4" is plenty thick enough.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find 2 pieces that you can cut yourself and fit in there, it should be cheaper. You would have one heck of a time getting 1 large piece into a tank, unless its eurobraced. I also think that 1/4" is plenty thick enough.
My tanks is eurobraced but your right 2 pieces would be easier to get in place. I did price the 1/2" but if 1/4" is enough I will go with that.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ingenuity of this is great. Is it being held up by the 3/4" pvc pipe?
The PVC holds the majority of the weight. It passes through the white overflow using 3/4 bulkheads. I have some more detailed pictures of the construction in the 75 gallon build thread in my sig if you wanna check it out.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PVC holds the majority of the weight. It passes through the white overflow using 3/4 bulkheads. I have some more detailed pictures of the construction in the 75 gallon build thread in my sig if you wanna check it out.
I read your tread. Well done I will definitely be following along.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that looks nicer, but its more expensive, is starboard. Its basically plastic board that you silicon to the bottom of your tank. It protects the entire bottom surface and looks pretty good and comes in all sorts of colors. I would look into it if you want to really jazz up and protect the bottom of your tank.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-black-king-starboard
But if it is under the sand and no one sees it, why spend more money?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didn't have the pukani in my system very long before we sold the house but I can see your point. Its a very porous rock and I can see where it could become a debris sink. Has anyone had a problem like this?
I don't know that i've noticed this. I'll have to do a turkey baste blast to see. I only have about 3 rocks. Some of them were really filled with the bryopsis, but I had it in equally thick patches elsewhere as well.

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if it is under the sand and no one sees it, why spend more money?

Thats true...I guess if you are doing a shallow sand bed or bare bottom then its worth the expense. My rocks are sitting right on the glass...And they dont move so I didnt see the reason to put anything under them. I've learned to love the look of bare bottom tanks...so starboard would be the way I would go with it.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned to love the look of bare bottom tanks...so starboard would be the way I would go with it.
I have not jumped on the bare bottom band wagon yet I like having sand in my tanks but to each his or her own.
Thats true...I guess if you are doing a shallow sand bed or bare bottom then its worth the expense
I am planning on having about a 2" sand bed. Looking a Reef Savvy when I was look for a tank manufacture to build my tank they make the phantom bottom. In" my opinion" they make this panel for extra strength and as a cushion if anything fell to the bottom of the tank. I would suspect everyone that have bought a tank with phantom bottom is not running a bare bottom system. So adding the star board on any system could be beneficial. "In no way am I comparing the phantom bottom apples to apples to the star board" just it would add a little extra security.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back