OP
OP
Sharir

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been taking care of an orange toadfish at the LFS that I work for, along with a mexican dragon eel (who is a beautiful eel,) along with some triggers and puffers. On a side note, what are some good ways to get a wild toadfish to eat well?
Try feeding a feeder fish (preferably saltwater) such as Molly's or guppies if you have some live ghost shrimp chuck a few at him. I doubt he will resist. Note if he hasn't been eating for a while it is wise to gutload the feeder fish to get the toadfish plumpy

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lmm1967 Wife and I caught a few small fish on the underside of rocks here in the Gulf and were trying to figure out what they were. We were thinking they might be juvenile Toadfish of some sort but weren't sure. I thought about dropping one in my tank, sure glad I didn't! ha ha. They are down here by the hundreds, so many you can catch them by hand. Here a couple pics.

IMG_6663.jpg IMG_6664.jpg

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lmm1967 Wife and I caught a few small fish on the underside of rocks here in the Gulf and were trying to figure out what they were. We were thinking they might be juvenile Toadfish of some sort but weren't sure. I thought about dropping one in my tank, sure glad I didn't! ha ha. They are down here by the hundreds, so many you can catch them by hand. Here a couple pics.

They look exactly like this guy did when he arrived to us.

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are clingfish. They are carnivores too, but hardly qualify as "predators" in that sense. They eat meaty everything, and much bigger than you'd think judging from their size. Will take a guppy or a small goldfish if you stick-feed it or it happens to be close enough, but they spend most of their day stuck to one area, until its feeding time, then they occupy another area. And that's the most they will explore. Wish I had one of these now ;/

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oyster Toadfish - almost 12" long now.

Came in as a hitch hiker on TBS Rock - he was about 2" when we first got him.

He currently resides in his very own 180 gallon tank - anything that goes in the tank goes in his mouth.

He pulled the magnetic glass cleaner off and swam around with it in his mouth the other day.

815BF427-7E8A-4EDD-AF49-27B9153E312A.jpeg
That is AWESOME!!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back