bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess they have to pay those rent prices in the city!!

Logistically speaking, if you're in the city, might be better to just order from a big box store so it will show up on your door step.
Dr foster smith had them discounted 20-25% off in October. So expect something like that next week

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Some LFS can do a little discount to keep business at the small stores too
The 3 I checked in nyc queens all said Red Sea reefers we ordered at price.

Just a heads up about this: The thing with these tanks are it's MAP pricing and the repercussions if caught selling for less make it not worth risking it. No store is going to make any such deal over the phone because historically that's how they get busted. Plus the more they sell and the larger the model the better their discount on future tanks. There's also some fuss about if you have any warranty issues they want to see a receipt.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up about this: The thing with these tanks are it's MAP pricing and the repercussions if caught selling for less make it not worth risking it. No store is going to make any such deal over the phone because historically that's how they get busted. Plus the more they sell and the larger the model the better their discount on future tanks. There's also some fuss about if you have any warranty issues they want to see a receipt.

I've said this before, MAP= Minimum Advertised Price. LFS are free to sell it for whatever they want, they can't advertise that price. Then there are some manufacturers that allow below MAP pricing to be advertised for special sales or times of the year. That is why BRS and MD only show below MAP pricing when they are allowed since they are online only so all prices are "advertised."

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said this before, MAP= Minimum Advertised Price. LFS are free to sell it for whatever they want, they can't advertise that price. Then there are some manufacturers that allow below MAP pricing to be advertised for special sales or times of the year. That is why BRS and MD only show below MAP pricing when they are allowed since they are online only so all prices are "advertised."

I get that this is what it stands for but feel like most retailers have been sticking to it as being the only price they're allowed to sell for. When I was getting my tank setup (advertised price or not) practically all of the stores I spoke with wouldn't budge. I know of a tool shop around me who offered to sell a brand power tool privately (not advertising it publicly or anything like that) for below MAP and now they won't send them any additional units. If this isn't the case for RedSea stuff I'd love to be wrong as I'm a sucker for a good deal.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not look in their sponsor forum and sign up for the next group buy. You can sign up and earn 10% rewards points, that's what I did and got back a decent chunk of change to spend on my return pump!
At Bulk Reef Supply I got this 10% back to use some other time with their group buy too. With a RSR 250 I got $139 to use on whatever I wanted and I bought 1/2 my Pukani dryrock with it. At Bulk Reef Supply, Red Sea products aren't MAP. Just Ecotech, Aquaillumination, and Nyos are MAP products whenever they have a sale.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Bulk Reef Supply I got this 10% back to use some other time with their group buy too. With a RSR 250 I got $139 to use on whatever I wanted and I bought 1/2 my Pukani dryrock with it. At Bulk Reef Supply, Red Sea products aren't MAP. Just Ecotech, Aquaillumination, and Nyos are MAP products whenever they have a sale.

Neptune should also be a MAP product. The main reason it's hard to find a deal on Red Sea tanks is that there's not much room to work for the dealers. I'm a wholesaler for Premium Aquatics and I don't save squat on them... whereas I do on Neptune, AI, EcoTech, Nyos, Reef Octopus, Giesemann, ATI... pretty much everything else.

Last edited:

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune should also be a MAP product. The main reason it's hard to find a deal on Red Sea tanks is that there's not much room to work for the dealers. I'm a wholesaler for Premium Aquatics and I don't save squat on them... whereas I do on Neptune, AI, EcoTech, Nyos, Reef Octopus, Giesemann, ATI... pretty much everything else.

The wholesale accounts don't get a lot of room on Red Sea, but the authorized dealers do. I paid well under MAP and he told me flat out he still made money off me. Made the mistake of telling me there is a lot of profit in the Red Sea tanks before giving me a price so I knew I could get it lower. As a wholesale account PA is still making money off of you, dealers go right to the vendors and get even better prices.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as Neptune being a MAP product at BRS, it depends on the sale. For group buys Neptune is NOT a MAP product. Get 80 bucks back, who doesn't want 80 bucks?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size , brand skimmer works best on reefer 250? Was looking at red octopus or skimz..

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome--just ordered a 425XL. I was torn between getting the Reefer, SCA 120G, or a Cad Lights 100G, but this sale made the decision a no brainer!

That is awesome! I also looked at the line of SCA tanks and almost got on. When I stumbled across the reefer it was a hard decision, I can tell you I don't regret my choice at all! Looking forward to the build!

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I also looked at the line of SCA tanks and almost got on. When I stumbled across the reefer it was a hard decision, I can tell you I don't regret my choice at all! Looking forward to the build!
Thanks! This is my second reef tank, but first with a sump so I'm pretty clueless about plumbing. Needless to say, your YouTube vids have been very helpful. :)

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is my second reef tank, but first with a sump so I'm pretty clueless about plumbing. Needless to say, your YouTube vids have been very helpful. :)

I got the XL425 too and was my first tank with a sump. Now I wish I had started with sumps and not AIO. I was debating about swapping out my JBJ45 for either a Reefer 170 or 250 or an SCA 50 gallon.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back