DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my power/dosing drawer (nearly) finished!

Closed (ie; normal looking - the handles pre-date this addition)
IMG_2069.JPG

Controller and storage side. (Still need to add a finishing strip to that exposed part.)
IMG_2066.JPG

Lower angle, showing all the stuff jammed in there. My tank: now with Apex!
IMG_2068.JPG

The dosing side. Eight pumps (7 in use currently), each with their own "zero-evaporation" container. Each container (which have sealed lids) has the outlet you can see, but also an inlet with a check-valve on the inside. Air gets in; nothing gets out.
I've got a tablet on the way for a near-tank dashboard. Current plan is to mount it on a tilt on the top near the back (where the towel is, basically). Try to preserve as much of the "counter top" as I can - which I will now use as my "testing station". I might mount it to the wall to the left of the tank, but will need approval from the wife for that first...
IMG_2067.JPG

Lid off. This ain't so bad as far as cable mess goes. You can't see them, but two magnets hold the lid in place.
IMG_2070.JPG

The cables are a bit of a mess in there. Four of the power bricks are mounted to the wall; the fifth is in the cabinet (brick-to-controller cable for the Vectra is SUPER short - ick). I'll likely got a cable conduit of some kind, but the few ties I have are working well enough to keep everything together and out of the way as the drawer closes. I also injured my shoulder recently, so reaching in there is not exactly comfortable...
IMG_2071.JPG

Next project: Finish setting up the Apex, then it's on to the LED/T5 Hybrid canopy!

Last edited:

T-Bucket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2069.JPG

Controller and storage side. (Still need to add a finishing strip to that exposed part.)
IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

The dosing side. Eight pumps (7 in use currently), each with their own "zero-evaporation" container. Each container (which have sealed lids) has the outlet you can see, but also an inlet with a check-valve on the inside. Air gets in; nothing gets out.
I've got a tablet on the way for a near-tank dashboard. Current plan is to mount it on a tilt on the top near the back (where the towel is, basically). Try to preserve as much of the "counter top" as I can - which I will now use as my "testing station". I might mount it to the wall to the left of the tank, but will need approval from the wife for that first...
IMG_2067.JPG

Lid off. This ain't so bad as far as cable mess goes. You can't see them, but two magnets hold the lid in place.
IMG_2070.JPG

The cables are a bit of a mess in there. Four of the power bricks are mounted to the wall; the fifth is in the cabinet (brick-to-controller cable for the Vectra is SUPER short - ick). I'll likely got a cable conduit of some kind, but the few ties I have are working well enough to keep everything together and out of the way as the drawer closes. I also injured my shoulder recently, so reaching in there is not exactly comfortable...
IMG_2071.JPG

Next project: Finish setting up the Apex, then it's on to the LED/T5 Hybrid canopy!
This is really awesome man! Love the sliding drawer idea!

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2066.JPG

Really nice!!!

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it took a couple months but the stock ATO on my 250, which I was warned by several people about, somehow broke over night. It actually snapped at the float valve insert:

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

Thought that was a little weird, how much strain could soft tubing really put on it?

Anyway I might use this as an excuse to replace it and turn the stock ato container into a mini refugium/pod farm. Any lessons or feedback from others who have done the same?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it took a couple months but the stock ATO on my 250, which I was warned by several people about, somehow broke over night. It actually snapped at the float valve insert:

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

Thought that was a little weird, how much strain could soft tubing really put on it?

Anyway I might use this as an excuse to replace it and turn the stock ato container into a mini refugium/pod farm. Any lessons or feedback from others who have done the same?
Some people are getting these. It all depends on where you can give up some space.

http://www.reefdreams.co.uk/cgi-bin...for-Red-Sea-Reefer-170-BAFFLE170.html#SID=207

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

Mine did the same thing. I went to home Depot and they have the same thread with a 1/4" quick connect fitting. Ran that right into rubber hose coming off ato.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

Awesome job!

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an issue with tiny micro bubbles from area on sump not getting enough water even when ATO reserve has plenty? Keeps happening my Vectra return pump is pushing bubbles?

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an issue with tiny micro bubbles from area on sump not getting enough water even when ATO reserve has plenty? Keeps happening my Vectra return pump is pushing bubbles?
Yes, you need to adjust the ATO float to be higher. You can use your fingers to loosen the white nuts and pull it off. You'll then need a phillips screwdriver to loosen the plastic screw and adjust it to be higher. That'll raise the level of water in that compartment and eliminate the issue.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to adjust the ATO float to be higher. You can use your fingers to loosen the white nuts and pull it off. You'll then need a phillips screwdriver to loosen the plastic screw and adjust it to be higher. That'll raise the level of water in that compartment and eliminate the issue.

Thanks! Will try this tonight and hopefully it works!
If I wanna get a better ATO what is best option?

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will try this tonight and hopefully it works!
If I wanna get a better ATO what is best option?
The Tunze Osmolator is by far the most popular system.

I will add that I still use the stock ATO, but have an Osmolator hooked up to a RODI system that refills the stock reservoir by using their solenoid valve option. It's an awesome system.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will add that I still use the stock ATO, but have an Osmolator hooked up to a RODI system that refills the stock reservoir by using their solenoid valve option. It's an awesome system.
The problem with the Tunze osmo is that you have to use the pump it come with and I don't like it because it is too fast for a kalk reactor hooked up to your ato. I'm using the Tunze right now but will switch to the Apex when it is out any day now. With an Apex and their ATO you can use any pump you want. Just another reason to use a controller.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the water level. I have a vectra pump on mine and it makes a whirlpool when it's cranked up, then it pulls bubbles. I put egg crate about 1/2" under water level and it keeps it from forming.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem with the Tunze osmo is that you have to use the pump it come with and I don't like it because it is too fast for a kalk reactor hooked up to your ato. I'm using the Tunze right now but will switch to the Apex when it is out any day now. With an Apex and their ATO you can use any pump you want. Just another reason to use a controller.

I can adjust the speed at which the Osmolator pumps water. You have to open the control box to do this.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back