DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. I went to home Depot and they have the same thread with a 1/4" quick connect fitting. Ran that right into rubber hose coming off ato.

Lucky you, I checked the closest home depot and LFS and neither had anything close to the same size. Do you know the overall dimensions of the piece you got? Red sea support says they are made just for them and would not provide me with the actual specifications (even though I can obviously measure myself), and while they offered to send a replacement since it's under warranty they would not give or sell me any more than that one. This seems a bit ridiculous if they expect people to actually rely on this ato. The single replacement I'm alotted will be shipped by ups ground, so 5-7 more business days from when they send it. They apparently send all replacement parts this way, which makes me worry about what I would do if the overflow or some other important piece broke. It's one thing to make custom parts, but to restrict their sale on top of that seems excessive.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you, I checked the closest home depot and LFS and neither had anything close to the same size. Do you know the overall dimensions of the piece you got? Red sea support says they are made just for them and would not provide me with the actual specifications (even though I can obviously measure myself), and while they offered to send a replacement since it's under warranty they would not give or sell me any more than that one. This seems a bit ridiculous if they expect people to actually rely on this ato. The single replacement I'm alotted will be shipped by ups ground, so 5-7 more business days from when they send it. They apparently send all replacement parts this way, which makes me worry about what I would do if the overflow or some other important piece broke. It's one thing to make custom parts, but to restrict their sale on top of that seems excessive.
I believe it was 1/4" threaded male to what ever u call the push connector on water lines.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a really long thread, but there are lots of refugium solutions throughout. A page or 2 back, someone posted a sump divider custom made for Reefers. It's a good in-sump solution.

I'm currently working on a display refugium in a 170 next to my 450. That's extreme, but my wife really wanted seahorses and I really wanted predators. Now we both get what we want.

Thanks for that bit of info ,I just ordered the reefer sump divider ,it's not made by red Sea but is made to fit them , just paid £49 plus £6 odd for delivery
I'll post some pics of it when it comes
Thanks again

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it from lowes but I got it at home depot.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-1-4-in-dia-Male-Adapter-Push-Fitting/50284251

This should be it from.HD

http://m.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-4-in-O-D-Quick-Connect-x-1-4-in-MIP-Adapter-25413/300034904

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still confused!

Guys, it's not so hard that you need to make modifications. If you simply increase the depth of the water, a whirlpool will not form. Adjust the mechanical float valve so it rests higher. The depth in that chamber will increase and no whirlpool will form.

I am running my Vectra M1 at 100% and it is not forming a whirlpool.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO fills at the speed of evaporation. Whether it's electronic, or mechanical, you're going to get the same refill over the same period of time. If you don't want it in batches, you should use the stock ATO and let the mechanical system do it more consistently. If you want less kalk over the course of the day, just put less in your ATO.
Yes I want to add kalk at a slow, consistant rate keeping the pH at the most stabile level possible. That's why I'm going to use a kalk stirrer and not the stock ato. With the kalk stirrer you get kalkwasser entering your tank at the SATURATED level, all the time. With the stock ato the kalk would settle to the bottom and the slurry would get dosed until it was gone then all the dilute solution above it. Your pH would skyrocket with the slurry then plummet with the dilute solution while using the stock ATO.

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it's not so hard that you need to make modifications. If you simply increase the depth of the water, a whirlpool will not form. Adjust the mechanical float valve so it rests higher. The depth in that chamber will increase and no whirlpool will form.

I am running my Vectra M1 at 100% and it is not forming a whirlpool.

I actually did just this. Pulled the ball valve up a bit so I heard the "cranking noise" knowing it adjusted. Problem appears solved. THANK YOU EVERYONE as always. I don't know what I would do without this thread and reef2reef
My wife laughs at me because we will be on the couch and she looks over and spots my on the R2R app!

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - Just ordered and avast ATO with pump and breakout box DIY kit for the apex. the DIY BOB kit is 2/3 the price of a neptune OEM one. I will post my experience once it arrives. With Xmas is coming I have to leave my tank unattended, so I'm rushing to make it more or less self sufficient for ~7-10 days.

Also going to try setting up float switches for other things such as killing the return if the sump/ATO runs dry. any advice from the pros as to apex programming, redundancy, etc more than welcome.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a battery backup. The ones for computers are good and under $100. You can program your Apex to only run certain channels when the power goes out. Also get a cheap BBU for your router/modem (or plug it into the one for Apex) so it can send you text/emails/alerts when the power is out. You can't get a text alert from your apex if there's no power going to your wifi.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who dose reefer 450, how much per day?

I am dosing 20 ml for ca/alk. Mag has been staying st 1320. Really depends on what salt you're using, needs of tank. Just test and use a dosing calc to figure out what your tank needs

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up DOS now and using Bionic supplements so let me know thoughts on amount to dose.
IMG_1480008460.748784.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back