jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this too but it is still too fast for me. I want a slow drip for kalkwasser.

The ATO fills at the speed of evaporation. Whether it's electronic, or mechanical, you're going to get the same refill over the same period of time. If you don't want it in batches, you should use the stock ATO and let the mechanical system do it more consistently. If you want less kalk over the course of the day, just put less in your ATO.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done this too but it is still too fast for me. I want a slow drip for kalkwasser.

I've used Kalk with my Tunze Osmolator for 4 years now with no issues. It pumps water as it evaporates. I can tell how often the pump comes on because mine is loud now - the pump needs replacing after 4 years.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyway I might use this as an excuse to replace it and turn the stock ato container into a mini refugium/pod farm. Any lessons or feedback from others who have done the same?

I never used the stock ATO. I added an 9 gallon black acrylic container from Advanced Acrylics that holds my freshwater. My Tunze Osmolator replendishes. I use the stock ATO as a refugium - not to reduce nitrates but as a place to grow pods as I have a dragonete in the display.

The glass is so thing and I cracked it while drilling but some silicone and a think glass sheet from Home Depot fixed it. It doesn't leak but even if it was a slow leak it wouldn't bother me too much.

I drilled it with a 1 inch holesaw and ran some soft tubing that empties right next to my return pump. The refugium is fed from my manifold. I have a bulkhead strainer to prevent an algae from getting in my return.

The refugium has cheato and miracle mud in it. The cheato doesn't grow fast as I have 0 nitrates but I see a lot of pods and movement in my cheato.

reefer_refugium.JPG

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all .very nice thread going on here

Just a quick question, I have a red Sea 350 been running since April
In my sump iv a skimmer and a reactor running n,p pellets ,I'm looking to replace the reactor with cheato ..just wondering the best way to house the cheato ,iv just look at the post above this and see that oseymour has he's in the top up tank , I can't do this as I need to use my ato for top up
Any tips would be great and by the way this whole thread is a great read with some amazing set ups
Thanks all

IMG_20161119_141000.jpg

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the water level. I have a vectra pump on mine and it makes a whirlpool when it's cranked up, then it pulls bubbles. I put egg crate about 1/2" under water level and it keeps it from forming.

That is exactly what it does. You put an egg crate under the pump?? wouldn't that make it worse?

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my sump iv a skimmer and a reactor running n,p pellets ,I'm looking to replace the reactor with cheato ..just wondering the best way to house the cheato ,iv just look at the post above this and see that oseymour has he's in the top up tank , I can't do this as I need to use my ato for top up
Any tips would be great and by the way this whole thread is a great read with some amazing set ups
Thanks all

IMG_20161119_141000.jpg
Throw it in the sump and put a light on it

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
It's a really long thread, but there are lots of refugium solutions throughout. A page or 2 back, someone posted a sump divider custom made for Reefers. It's a good in-sump solution.

I'm currently working on a display refugium in a 170 next to my 450. That's extreme, but my wife really wanted seahorses and I really wanted predators. Now we both get what we want.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add what @jsbull mentioned you can use the search feature in the upper right hand corner, be sure to select to search in this thread only. I've used search features on other forums and thought they were all the same, this one actually works and works well!

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks all

I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 also, running since February. I also had a reactor running pellets and I removed it in favor of carbon dosing. I mix 2 parts vinegar and 1 part vodka and I'm currently dosing 8ml a day of the mixture and I have 0 nitrates. I have a mixed reef, mostly LPS with some SPS.

I have an overstocked tank. I'm embarrassed to even post my stocking levels
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty
3 lyretail anthias - 1 male and 2 females about 2.5 inches each
1 hippo tang - about 3 inches
1 yellow tang - about 4 inches
1 copperband butterfly - about 4 inches
1 naso tang - about 2.5 inches - (in my defence I was out of town and when I came home the fish was already in quarantine, i told my wife he has to be rehome by next summer and she reluctantly agreed - we've rehomed many fish and in NYC it's not hard to find takers)
2 oscellaris clownfish - the female is about 3.5 inches
1 leopard wrasse- about 2.5 inches
1 red dragonet - about 1.5 inches

I feed the equivalent of a cube of mysis - 3 times a day.

Here is a quick video of the tank that I shot the other day - https://goo.gl/photos/wGoPcErw42Mex5i37

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what it does. You put an egg crate under the pump?? wouldn't that make it worse?
U can even lay the egg crate in front of the pump intake as well. Another thing that worked is I place my GFO return line near pump intake. Anything to keep whirlpool from being able to form.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U can even lay the egg crate in front of the pump intake as well. Another thing that worked is I place my GFO return line near pump intake. Anything to keep whirlpool from being able to form.
On the first day when I was setting up my Reefer 350, I found that by using the stock ATO and my Vectra pump, anytime I ran the pump 80% or higher there was a whirlpool. When I switched to the Tunze Osmolator - I set the water level a few inches higher which eliminated the issue.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks all

IMG_20161119_141000.jpg

Beautiful job!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back