NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else hate the overflow system on the Reefers? I've had my 250 for two years and I still hate the overflow. I love almost everything else about the tank, but the overflow is garbage.

Neal

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else hate the overflow system on the Reefers? I've had my 250 for two years and I still hate the overflow. I love almost everything else about the tank, but the overflow is garbage.

Neal

I actually just emailed Red Sea about that this morning. I've had my tank set up since last June and still can not get that water level to stabilize in the overflow. I'll get it just below the emergency drain but inevitably over the course of a couple days it fluctuates enough to go above it again and start making noise. Plus mine always seems to need adjustment after turning the return pump off and back on again. I know on mine the knob you turn to adjust the water level has spots when you turn it that has no resistance at all so I'm wondering if it just isn't holding as tight as it should. I'm hoping they can help me out because it drives me crazy always having to adjust it.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips on getting a new Auto Top Off? Not sure what type and how to set it up.
450 reefer
The Avast Marine ATO is another option, I went with their peristaltic pump because I had noise concerns with the Tunze.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neal
What's wrong with the overflow?

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just emailed Red Sea about that this morning. I've had my tank set up since last June and still can not get that water level to stabilize in the overflow. I'll get it just below the emergency drain but inevitably over the course of a couple days it fluctuates enough to go above it again and start making noise. Plus mine always seems to need adjustment after turning the return pump off and back on again. I know on mine the knob you turn to adjust the water level has spots when you turn it that has no resistance at all so I'm wondering if it just isn't holding as tight as it should. I'm hoping they can help me out because it drives me crazy always having to adjust it.
I just got my 350 up and running didn't have any problems with the overflow so far.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neal

I haven't hooked up mines yet, but why do you say that?

Is it loud?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any tips on getting a new Auto Top Off? Not sure what type and how to set it up.
450 reefer

Really, it depends on what you are planning on using for an ATO container and where you are planning to locate it. There are numerous options for you though.

The Tunze 3155 is used by TONS of people and has lots of redundacies built into it with multiple sensors, pump run time adjustments and other features. Tunze products have great support and are widely used. Its a pretty simple plug and play type of system.

The Avast Marine Top Off Kit is also a really nice kit, with numerous options (Controller controlled or independant), pressure and float switch redundacies and a robust mounting system. It does require you to either purchase their peristalic pump OR you can use any other pump you like to complete the kit - the Apex PMUP is compatible if you want to use one as well.

I personally use the avast marine top off kit with the PMUP with the peristalic as a back up (simply because of where my resevoir is located). Not a ton of room inside the stand for a container, so I have to set it next to the stand. This causes a little bit of an issue because the PMUP cable to my apex is only long enough to reach the side of the stand, but no more. There is an extension cable, but I havent quite gone that route yet. The peristalic pump can handle runs of 50' of more, but because it delivers less water at a time than the PMUP, it has a tendancy to run for a longer period of time to top off the tank.

I use a Tunze Nano Osmolater for my QT tanks, and Ive had no issues with it for the last 5 years of use. I think either is a good reliable option. Just really matters where the water will be coming from.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any photos how you have it hooked up? Do you use the stock reserve
450 reefer

Most people have a reservoir built and keep it either in the stand or in a cabinet of some sort beside the tank. I got advanced acrylics to build mine and was happy with the results. I just told them the measurements I wanted it to be and they handled the rest. I didn't have room under the stand so I bought a small ottoman from Amazon that I keep it in so you can't see it. If you look back a few pages you'll see how I did mine and I think @pelphrey showed his as well. I use the tunze osmolator and have been very happy with it so far.

So basically you just need to decide on a container, pick out which ato system you want and the rest is pretty easy. I tried to make my reservoir big enough to hold about a weeks worth of top water. I figure that way I'm not filling it up all the time, and it's not too much water in case the pump ever got stuck on for any reason.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where my journey begin 3 day ago.

IMG_1239.JPG

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sand and water in it, just to get it cycled, Still not sure how I want to do the rock work. all dry rock and Tropic Eden sand.

IMG_1255.JPG

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I believe this or not but I was told Dr Tim's Aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria will have my tank ready for fish in a week. has any body ever use this stuff?

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please let us know what they say. I feel like once every 7 - 14 days I have to mess with it a little for no apparent reason. I'll do a water change and get it set perfect and then randomly one day it'll either drop to low or go too high.

Not sure if I believe this or not but I was told Dr Tim's Aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria will have my tank ready for fish in a week. has any body ever use this stuff?

I've never used Dr Tims, but have heard good stuff about it. I can't speak for whether or not it will actually cycle the tank in a week, but it definitely won't hurt. What are you planning to use to 'feed' the tank since you're going with dry rock and Tropic Eden sand?

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us know what they say. I feel like once every 7 - 14 days I have to mess with it a little for no apparent reason. I'll do a water change and get it set perfect and then randomly one day it'll either drop to low or go too high.

I've never used Dr Tims, but have heard good stuff about it. I can't speak for whether or not it will actually cycle the tank in a week, but it definitely won't hurt. What are you planning to use to 'feed' the tank since you're going with dry rock and Tropic Eden sand?

I was told no feeding required if you can believe that. Just have to test the water. I should see a small and fast cycle.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I had a clown in there the first day(you need to have a fish or dose ammonia) and I had coral in there on day 2. The ammonia and nitrite levels are kept so low, that it's fairly safe for livestock.

Chad_2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any photos how you have it hooked up? Do you use the stock reserve ?

I also use the Tunze 3155 from my ATO container to sump (will probably buy Neptune's version when it's out with the bracket). My ATO container level is controlled by a float valve from my RO system. Now that Neptune has released some of their fluid monitoring system I plan on adding an optical sensor and the solenoid valve to the ATO tank to ensure it never overfills if the float valve got stuck. I also have Neptune's leak detection system in the cabinet to inform me and shut down the ATO system if it senses a leak. So I really never need to worry about evaporating water, I do test the RO water monthly just to verify it is still good.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, it depends on what you are planning on using for an ATO container and where you are planning to locate it. There are numerous options for you though.

The Tunze 3155 is used by TONS of people and has lots of redundacies built into it with multiple sensors, pump run time adjustments and other features. Tunze products have great support and are widely used. Its a pretty simple plug and play type of system.

The Avast Marine Top Off Kit is also a really nice kit, with numerous options (Controller controlled or independant), pressure and float switch redundacies and a robust mounting system. It does require you to either purchase their peristalic pump OR you can use any other pump you like to complete the kit - the Apex PMUP is compatible if you want to use one as well.

I personally use the avast marine top off kit with the PMUP with the peristalic as a back up (simply because of where my resevoir is located). Not a ton of room inside the stand for a container, so I have to set it next to the stand. This causes a little bit of an issue because the PMUP cable to my apex is only long enough to reach the side of the stand, but no more. There is an extension cable, but I havent quite gone that route yet. The peristalic pump can handle runs of 50' of more, but because it delivers less water at a time than the PMUP, it has a tendancy to run for a longer period of time to top off the tank.

I use a Tunze Nano Osmolater for my QT tanks, and Ive had no issues with it for the last 5 years of use. I think either is a good reliable option. Just really matters where the water will be coming from.

Thank you. Was gonna use stock resevior in original location so not sure what is best

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sand and water in it, just to get it cycled, Still not sure how I want to do the rock work. all dry rock and Tropic Eden sand.

IMG_1255.JPG

What lights are those? Also which grain sand did you go with? Looks awesome!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back