jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 425xl and I'm thinking about putting my manifold and reactors down the left-hand side of the sump instead of along the back. I have a Nyos 160 in the back of the skimmer chamber, and the front part is reserved via a reefdreams baffle for a refugium. So space along the back is fairly cramped. Has anyone done three manifolds in a 425? Here are some sketches I've been tinkering with.

manifold.jpg
manifold2.gif

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look several posts above yours..... broadfield has 3... it's not too difficult bud

His is awesome but he's got his skimmer up towards the front. So he has some space behind it. My skimmer has to be at the very back to use the front part as a refugium

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His is awesome but he's got his skimmer up towards the front. So he has some space behind it. My skimmer has to be at the very back to use the front part as a refugium

I have a 525, so a bit larger. I went with 3 brs reactors and have them on the sides. I could turn my skimmer if I wanted and it would all fit. I think you could put the gate valves on the vertical part from the pump as well to clear up more space.
20170227_191536.jpg

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 525, so a bit larger. I went with 3 brs reactors and have them on the sides. I could turn my skimmer if I wanted and it would all fit. I think you could put the gate valves on the vertical part from the pump as well to clear up more space.

Cool I think I'll being doing something similar. Thanks for sharing!

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man does the refugium work ok with the skimmer in there? I need a place in my sump for copepods to breed.

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man does the refugium work ok with the skimmer in there? I need a place in my sump for copepods to breed.

I can't personally vouch but I learned about it via a YouTube video where he was using it to grow pods and reduce nutrients.

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to reverse the baffle. I thought I had seen refugiums before the skimmer. Like the triton method works like that.

c43d376bd5566b4e90c2cbb0dac96948.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to use my ATO container as the refugium. I've seen a picture of someone else's that seemed to be growing well. I also am wanting to grow copepods. Lots of them.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to use my ATO container as the refugium. I've seen a picture of someone else's that seemed to be growing well. I also am wanting to grow copepods. Lots of them.
To use the ATO container you have to drill it right?

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement Red Sea return fitting that has the barb fitting attached to it ?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To use the ATO container you have to drill it right?
You have to drill it if you use it in the location above the socks. I just have mine in my sump (picture about 10 threads back). My thought is the flow will move over it giving a low flow area. If it doesn't work because of flow I will probably try a plastic tote with holes in it, and put it under the socks.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to drill it if you use it in the location above the socks. I just have mine in my sump (picture about 10 threads back). My thought is the flow will move over it giving a low flow area. If it doesn't work because of flow I will probably try a plastic tote with holes in it, and put it under the socks.
interesting idea. I may have to try that.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually super easy... you can just leave your emergency and return as is if you want. Parts you will need:
  • Teflon tape
  • 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP PVC adapter
  • 1" pipe
  • 1" gate valve
  • Red Sea barbed return fitting
You can see on mine how simple of a setup it is:

Sump by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Thanks @Broadfield! Red Sea is supposed to be sending my new drain valve out which I will try first but if that doesn't work any better I'm definitely going to try this. I assume the return fitting I would need is the same one that they are out of stock on? Is that something you can only order straight from Red Sea?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back