HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question but I ordered a Reef Octopus VarioS-6 Controllable DC Circulation Pump for my reefer 450 and was wondering will that plumb directly to the 450 or will modifications be needed to hook it up and if so how difficult will that be? I ask because this is my first tank using a sump so this is all new to me and I feel I'm in over my head before I've even set anything up.

I have the Varios-2 & Reefer 170. The Varios 2 comes with a barbed fitting that will accept 1/2" or 3/4" flexible tubing. The Red Sea is metric and the barbed fitting wouldn't accept 3/4" flexible tubing, so I bought a 3/4" PVC to barb adapter, will wrap some teflon tape (8-10x) around the 3/4" PVC barbed part and use that in place of the Red Sea barbed part. I had a vague idea I'd have to do something like this, but it wasn't clear until it arrived. I used this silicon tubing.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chipped my Reefer 250 sump, my wife was kind enough to get me a Trigger Sapphire 26 for Father's Day.

20170628_173015.jpg

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Varios-2 & Reefer 170. The Varios 2 comes with a barbed fitting that will accept 1/2" or 3/4" flexible tubing. The Red Sea is metric and the barbed fitting wouldn't accept 3/4" flexible tubing, so I bought a 3/4" PVC to barb adapter, will wrap some teflon tape (8-10x) around the 3/4" PVC barbed part and use that in place of the Red Sea barbed part. I had a vague idea I'd have to do something like this, but it wasn't clear until it arrived. I used this silicon tubing.

The Red Sea barbed fitting can use 3/4" tubing, just have to heat up the tubing under hot water before pushing it on. I have mine connected with 3/4" braided PVC tubing.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone who ordered the "3/4" Loc-Line Adapter Nozzle Kit with Flare Nozzles" kit from Top Shelf Aquatics received something that simply doesn't fit together? I don't have the actual tank yet, so I can't try attaching anything to the tank.

I got 2 pieces of loc-line, the Y-adapter & 2 flare nozzles, but none of the pieces fit together -- not even close. I don't want to break anything by trying to put it together.

Also, what came seems to be 1" interior diameter, not 3/4" -- again, what am I missing here?

IMG_9771.JPG

IMG_9772.JPG

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what came seems to be 1" interior diameter, not 3/4" -- again, what am I missing here?
Is everything too big? Lock line is suppose to be really tight and it's a pain to snap together and take apart. If it's simply that your good. If it's too big and slips out then yes you have a problem.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everything too big? Lock line is suppose to be really tight and it's a pain to snap together and take apart. If it's simply that your good. If it's too big and slips out then yes you have a problem.

Feels like I'm going to crack the stuff trying to put it together, but even if I am able to get it together, isn't it a problem that it's 1" ID, instead of 3/4" ID? It won't fit the Red Sea return, will it?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone who ordered the "3/4" Loc-Line Adapter Nozzle Kit with Flare Nozzles" kit from Top Shelf Aquatics received something that simply doesn't fit together? I don't have the actual tank yet, so I can't try attaching anything to the tank.

I got 2 pieces of loc-line, the Y-adapter & 2 flare nozzles, but none of the pieces fit together -- not even close. I don't want to break anything by trying to put it together.

IMG_9771.JPG

IMG_9772.JPG

I bought the Y-adapter from them but my locline/nozzles from BRS. It was a pain to put together, had to heat it up with hot water and I think I may have used a dab of dish soap. I had to push as hard as I could to get it together, I swore I was going to break it. If for some reason Top Shelf sent you something wrong, they will definitely take care of it for you. I had an issue when I got the part and they sent a replacement right away.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9771.JPG

IMG_9772.JPG

Loc line is a royal pain to assemble and dissemble. To give you an idea, when I was adding round nozzle ends onto mine I pushed so hard that I actually ended up with bloody circles in my palms from the nozzle where I was pushing it. They sell a tool to make it easier. It can be done without the tool but just know you are in for a bit of a struggle.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who received their 525XL by drop shipment -- how many people did it take to carry your tank from curbside inside?

And if you and all your friends were 6'6 300#, please specify that :rolleyes:

Is the pallet easily broken down so that the stand can be carried in separately from the tank?

Trying to figure out how many friends I need to gather at the same time once I get the call from the delivery guys!

When mine was delivered, I got a phone call from the drop shipper a few days beforehand to schedule the deliver (similar to cable guy. They will be there Tuesday between 11 - 3pm). The guy showed up and used a pallet jack to bring the entire thing into my garage. Once in the garage, I used a screw gun to undo the 8-10 screws holding the top of the crate down. Once those were off, you can see the tank and the boxes inside. Its another 6-8 screws to take off the front of the crate. Once those two pieces are off, you can remove the stand, sump and other boxes inside of the crate. Take a look at the tank and make sure you dont see any issues with the glass. Once you do that, THEN sign for the package and let the delivery guy go. The rest of the crate comes apart with a few more screws. and you can stack the whole thing up easily.

I was able to carry each box into my basement without help (though the boxes for the sump and stand are a bit unwieldy). The tank sat in the garage for a few days while I built the stand inside the basement. For the tank, I slid it out of the crate onto some moving blankets and then got it on its end and strapped it to a furniture dolly and was able to get it down into the basement with only some spotting help from my wife. Once down in the basement, I needed her help getting it onto the stand, but it was relatively painless. 3 moderately strong people should have no problem, four if you doubt your own stamina :)

As for the locline, the outer diameter is close to an 1" but the inner diameter at the narrow end will be 3/4". It takes quite a bit of force to get the locline together, but you're more likely to bust your knuckles before you snap the locline. I like using a kitchen towel wrapped around a pair of locking jaw pliers to press the ends onto the locline. Once they've been put on, the plastic will then be stretched enough to remove and replace easier. 3D printed parts seem to come off and on a bit easier in my experience.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine was delivered, I got a phone call from the drop shipper a few days beforehand to schedule the deliver (similar to cable guy. They will be there Tuesday between 11 - 3pm). The guy showed up and used a pallet jack to bring the entire thing into my garage. Once in the garage, I used a screw gun to undo the 8-10 screws holding the top of the crate down. Once those were off, you can see the tank and the boxes inside. Its another 6-8 screws to take off the front of the crate. Once those two pieces are off, you can remove the stand, sump and other boxes inside of the crate. Take a look at the tank and make sure you dont see any issues with the glass. Once you do that, THEN sign for the package and let the delivery guy go. The rest of the crate comes apart with a few more screws. and you can stack the whole thing up easily.

I was able to carry each box into my basement without help (though the boxes for the sump and stand are a bit unwieldy). The tank sat in the garage for a few days while I built the stand inside the basement. For the tank, I slid it out of the crate onto some moving blankets and then got it on its end and strapped it to a furniture dolly and was able to get it down into the basement with only some spotting help from my wife. Once down in the basement, I needed her help getting it onto the stand, but it was relatively painless. 3 moderately strong people should have no problem, four if you doubt your own stamina :)

As for the locline, the outer diameter is close to an 1" but the inner diameter at the narrow end will be 3/4". It takes quite a bit of force to get the locline together, but you're more likely to bust your knuckles before you snap the locline. I like using a kitchen towel wrapped around a pair of locking jaw pliers to press the ends onto the locline. Once they've been put on, the plastic will then be stretched enough to remove and replace easier. 3D printed parts seem to come off and on a bit easier in my experience.

@re76 -- thanks for the heads up -- I had no idea what I was getting into with loc-line. Note to self: be prepared to say some bad words :eek:

@blkhwkz -- I'll definitely try the hot water & dish soap tricks. I wasn't even sure there was an issue with the parts since I wasn't really sure what to expect. I figured there were dozens of people on here who had bought the same thing & might have some suggestions before I contacted Top Shelf. And I really wasn't sure if the stuff was wrong, or it was just ME :(

@ksfulk -- perfect. Thanks for the details! I had no idea what would actually show up at my door, or how easy it would be to get pieces off of the pallet, etc. I will be sure to check the glass before signing & letting the driver go. That trip down to the basement on a furniture dolly must have been just a little bit terrifying, no? Thankfully my house is all one floor, so that's one thing I get to avoid :) And more good tips regarding loc-line.

Thank you everyone -- you are all very patient, even with ridiculously simple/obvious questions!
A

Last edited:

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the exact same experience. I could carry each of the stand boxes, but they are a bit unwieldy. It took two of us for the sump,mostly because its large, awkward, and there are stairs. for the tank I had 4 strapping young lads help me out. They put two 2 x 4 under the tank and used them like handles. They had to carry it around the house on glare ice. 3 guys would have worked, but 4 made it super easy and safe.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make it sound easy. I am amazed that your wife could get it on the stand.
The tank is about 225 pounds, big and breakable. I had a friend from work stop by. It was at my limit for 2 people, at least 2 old guys.

ecyoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update! Finished the sump area with a manifold, got the tank cycled + 90% water change before adding a 6 line wrasse yesterday. Things are coming along nicely and I'm super happy with the RSR 250. I also added a Randall's goby (aka orange stripe prawn goby) to my nano that will eventually move to the 250.
de6a8e3c1c365a1e948fdf991cce5ea8.jpg

cd5d3a9303bb7bd5c14c262e9fde4810.jpg

73c2805b96b8915c29ec8578e3cd00e7.jpg

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update! Finished the sump area with a manifold, got the tank cycled + 90% water change before adding a 6 line wrasse yesterday. Things are coming along nicely and I'm super happy with the RSR 250. I also added a Randall's goby (aka orange stripe prawn goby) to my nano that will eventually move to the 250.
de6a8e3c1c365a1e948fdf991cce5ea8.jpg

cd5d3a9303bb7bd5c14c262e9fde4810.jpg

73c2805b96b8915c29ec8578e3cd00e7.jpg

Added a 6 line first? Guess you don't plan on adding any other fish. They look nice, but more often than not become a problem, especially going in first. Hopefully it works out for you. Tank looks good

ecyoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a 6 line first? Guess you don't plan on adding any other fish. They look nice, but more often than not become a problem, especially going in first. Hopefully it works out for you. Tank looks good
Good to know, I'll try to keep an eye on any territorial behaviors off the bat.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make it sound easy. I am amazed that your wife could get it on the stand.
The tank is about 225 pounds, big and breakable. I had a friend from work stop by. It was at my limit for 2 people, at least 2 old guys.

Neither of us are small people - but when on the dolly, the tank was on its end, so it was just a matter of lining it up with the tank, then tipping it towards the stand, then I lifted the end up, while my wife guided it onto the stand. It wasnt light by any stretch of the imagination, but the lifting was short lived. Really my wife was the brace one, as she was "steering" with me being the push from that back end. If I had the option, 3 or 4 people would have been a much better :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back