Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in Illinois going to the Aquatic Experience show in Schaumburg first weekend in November? I went a couple years ago and got a lot of free goodies from different companies. I’m sure nothing like MACNA but if you are in the area I think it’s worth dropping by.

Loganberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smart ATO on my current take, but it’s very inconsistent in terms of the alarms. Sometimes it will go forever without beeping other times I have to unplug it every other day to reset it.

I’ve also had the wet side of the magnet sensor rust and fall apart.

Hi phil which reef octopus is that? Im thinking of one for my 250

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 and a 2.0 with Reef Octopus VarioS 4 and 2 on my Reefer 170. What a huge difference in sound! The pumps are so much quieter, except the water fall sound is insanely loud.

The VarioS-4 is the return pump, and the VarioS-2 powers inline chiller/reactor. There's a ton of water noise now from the water dropping down from the first drain chamber into the skimmer chamber. It's louder than the Skimz pumps were lol. So the pumps are quieter, but the water sound is way more intense.

I have the VarioS-4 on the 3rd power setting. So it'll be about 610 GPH. Almost 100gph over the recommended return flow, but I figure it's a DC pump so it'll lose quite a bit of flow from the head pressure. But now the waterfall sound is unbearable. Makes me want to pee all the time.

Should I run it on the 2nd power setting? That'll be pretty low, at 420 GPH. I don't have a gate valve or anything on it, and I'm hoping I can do without one since I'm using the included 5/8" I.D. vinyl tubing.

Anyone running this pump on a 170 with any suggestions? Thanks!

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, i just know it's a beast and i wouldn't trade it for anything else.

It's probably AC. You would know if it was DC (it'll come with a separate pump controller etc).

I'm going to look around a bit at some DC solutions, but I do see a used NYOS 120 in the for sale section, so might just pick that one up.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 170 overflow question:

• I have a RO VarioS-4 return pump set to ~410gph
  • Drain valve adjusted so water is 1/2" from emergency
There's no toilet flushing/gurgling sound, but I'm getting bursts of "static" sounds. Imagine micro bubbles getting shot through a small plastic tube. Every 10 minutes, everything is silent for about 10 seconds, and then it starts up again. I've tried adjusting the return all sorts of ways, going from fully open (and toilet flushing sounds), to closed up pretty tight. I even tried running the pump at 640 gph. Which worked ok, just worried that it would be a bit too much for the sump to handle, so opted for slower.

The one way it is super quiet, however, is if I close up the drain enough for the water to overflow a little into the emergency drain. Then it's absolutely silent.

I know most people have their water levels from 1" to 1/4" away from the top of the emergency overflow, but in my case, giving it a little water solves the sound problem.

Any ideas? I don't want to give up and just get a gate valve and re-plumb the whole drain. If I can get away with some water going into the emergency, that would be ideal!

My return pump has the float switch, which I installed. So I guess if even the emergency drain fails at least SOMETHING will stop at some point (unless all safeguards fail).

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 170 overflow question:

• I have a RO VarioS-4 return pump set to ~410gph
  • Drain valve adjusted so water is 1/2" from emergency
There's no toilet flushing/gurgling sound, but I'm getting bursts of "static" sounds. Imagine micro bubbles getting shot through a small plastic tube. Every 10 minutes, everything is silent for about 10 seconds, and then it starts up again. I've tried adjusting the return all sorts of ways, going from fully open (and toilet flushing sounds), to closed up pretty tight. I even tried running the pump at 640 gph. Which worked ok, just worried that it would be a bit too much for the sump to handle, so opted for slower.

The one way it is super quiet, however, is if I close up the drain enough for the water to overflow a little into the emergency drain. Then it's absolutely silent.

I know most people have their water levels from 1" to 1/4" away from the top of the emergency overflow, but in my case, giving it a little water solves the sound problem.

Any ideas? I don't want to give up and just get a gate valve and re-plumb the whole drain. If I can get away with some water going into the emergency, that would be ideal!

My return pump has the float switch, which I installed. So I guess if even the emergency drain fails at least SOMETHING will stop at some point (unless all safeguards fail).
How are you determining what the set gph value is? Does it account for head loss?

Anyway, mine (Reefer 250) works a little better with the level set to just overflowing the emergency a tiny amount. I use my apex to adjust the % on my varios-6. I use the included gate valve to set the general amount of flow I want and use Apex to tweak the level...much easier IMO. I have it set to 42%, but I have no idea what the flow rate is. I can also set the pump to just maintain the head without inflow or outflow which is great for feeding time, minimizing gurgling.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back