blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the generator I was using during Irma fried my Apex and I'm trying to get the system back together- does anyone have a used Apex DOS for sale? Had a few grand in expenses from the storm and am struggling to get everything running.

Tank is okay, but had no powered light for two weeks. All my acros are a bit brown but have great PE, so I am optimistic.

Pretty sure I saw one being sold in the for sale forum yesterday for decent price. Weren't you using the Jebao doser before?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I saw one being sold in the for sale forum yesterday for decent price. Weren't you using the Jebao doser before?

Yeah I was but everything fried man :(Apparently the electronics didn't like my Inverter/Generator. I had chronic issues with the jeabo doser, especially it not holding suction, so really would like an apex DOS>

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 170
Kessil 360
Reef octopus biopellet reactor
Reef octopus carbon/GFO reactor
Reef octopus external skimmer plumed off the Biopellet reactor
Reef octopus DC varios 4 return pump
cora life twist UV sterilizer

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Thats some pretty intense plumbing! Dumb question - have you simulated a power outage yet? With all of that pipework, I wonder what your total water volume ends up being in the sump if the power went out, as I dont see any check valves on that thing. And since the 170s arent huge, I would worry a little bit about an overflow.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was but everything fried man :(Apparently the electronics didn't like my Inverter/Generator. I had chronic issues with the jeabo doser, especially it not holding suction, so really would like an apex DOS>

That sucks man. Definitely check out the for sale thread, I know I have seen a few lately. At least one yesterday, not sure if it sold. I loved my DOS.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
003f94b9725a06c478e5808bed1cf493.jpg

Got my manifold done and threw up some led strip lights! Going with the purple pipes to appease my 6 year old. Tomorrow is the leak test and I'm nervous... I've never done PVC like this before so fingers crossed I don't have leaks.
Nothing nicer looking than a virgin sump. Wish they would stay that way!

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Simplicity 120 DC skimmer is a bit loud. Thinking of returning it and getting something else. Any suggestions on a quieter skimmer for RSR 170?

IceCap k-50, NYOS Quantum 120, Bubble Magus 5, any other options?

Personally i love my Nyos 120, hands down the best if you can afford it. I have a Curve 5 before and it's cleaned up and sitting on my shelf, while it's great on performance it's not on the same level as the Nyos

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats some pretty intense plumbing! Dumb question - have you simulated a power outage yet? With all of that pipework, I wonder what your total water volume ends up being in the sump if the power went out, as I dont see any check valves on that thing. And since the 170s arent huge, I would worry a little bit about an overflow.

I turn the pump off when I feed. The sump has about 6 extra inches of height before spilling over after I turn the power off.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34be86bdd74ddd0c740d66d170edad3d.jpg

The Trigger Sapphire 5 gallon with the smart ATO system seems to be the ticket. Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks.
I have the smart ATO on my current take, but it’s very inconsistent in terms of the alarms. Sometimes it will go forever without beeping other times I have to unplug it every other day to reset it.

I’ve also had the wet side of the magnet sensor rust and fall apart.

FLG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smart ATO on my current take, but it’s very inconsistent in terms of the alarms. Sometimes it will go forever without beeping other times I have to unplug it every other day to reset it.

I’ve also had the wet side of the magnet sensor rust and fall apart.

I have been running for about 2ish months now. Seems to be doing good so far. Keeps consistent 1.025 in between water changes. Thanks for the head up on magnet rusting I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you!

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running for about 2ish months now. Seems to be doing good so far. Keeps consistent 1.025 in between water changes. Thanks for the head up on magnet rusting I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you!
No problem.. it took a while maybe a year? Basically the wet side split in two, a thin piece that holds the prism in the thicker part.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i love my Nyos 120, hands down the best if you can afford it. I have a Curve 5 before and it's cleaned up and sitting on my shelf, while it's great on performance it's not on the same level as the Nyos

Any specifics as what is better about NYOS? Sound? Skim?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is not allowed please deleted.

Im selling my Reefer 525XL lid which was only used for about a month. Thread can be seen at this link - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/artfully-acrylic-tank-lid.327261/

Heck yeah it's allowed! Good luck my friend. Hopefully you muster up the determination to come back to the hobby sooner than later... you had heck of a build going! I would of done the same thing as you though... I just wouldn't have it in me to start over again right away.

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinetic check out my build thread but it's loads quiet, adjust both air and water and pulls dark stuff. Can't ask for more.

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my 525xl up and running a year now. Been tweaking some things and am thinking about adding a refugium. Are people having long term success with the standard ATO containers converted to refugium? I remember seeing a ton of folks doing this early on but wondering who is still happy with this mod long term? If you are happy with your conversion please post some pics too!

Loganberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard piping manifold, what are people using for reactors, i have 25mm ball valves with a 25-20mm reducing bushing, then a 20mm socket withhose tail/barb, but these seem a bit excessive? Anyone help me out with a smaller idae maybe? Thanks.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back