FLG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding those cups for filter sock replacements.
Setting up reefer 250 right now, will run it stock, and thinking of either buying up 10 socks for rotation or these cups.
But what can you put in the cups to substitute socks ?
Still new at this so trying to figure out which direction is easier to go with.

BRS Tv did a study on the filter socks. I also have the Reefer 250 I just went to one 225 sock in first chamber and an Acrylic Cylinder in the 2nd with micro algae.
180b542dd617afd81454ef9e05f327f2.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 DC for my rsr170, but even at 50% it’s loud.

I ordered at VarioS S-4 to replace it. Got that over the S1 due to hearing about the problems with vectras and nothing really about VarioS.
This is the second time I've read the Skimz QuietPro is loud, why would they call it QuietPro? I bought the Skimz SM 122 recirculating skimmer without the QuietPro and thought this is really what I was looking for even knowing the QuietPro was coming out and would be on some of Skimz's skimmers soon. I thought if the 122 with AC pump was too loud I would wait a year or two when they would start putting on the DC QP's. Now I have a loud skimmer that's not going to be replaced by a quiet, otherwise similar version and I'm still fiddling with the external part of the plumbing to boot, whew!! I should've bought a Nyos!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Tv did a study on the filter socks. I also have the Reefer 250 I just went to one 225 sock in first chamber and an Acrylic Cylinder in the 2nd with micro algae.
180b542dd617afd81454ef9e05f327f2.jpg
Is that the cup from Little Ocean in UK or the Aussie one? I've got a Little Ocean one and might pick up another if my Reef Dreams baffle doesn't show up. I finally got through to them via phone after 2 and a half months from purchase and they said they had a fire in the shop and it destroyed the machine to make the baffles. They have a new machine but it will take a couple of weeks before the get things going again. Does anyone else know of anybody waiting on a Reef Dreams reefer baffle?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that bar, don't have to mess with cut outs for lights when making a screen.
Where did you get it, how did you mount it, and maybe a pic from side or back ? :D
I didn't want to be locked in to where the lights were located.
80/20 Inc
Didn't take a photo of the back when I had it exposed.
I attached a rail across the back off the stand before I added water. Attached an upright at each end which top rail is attached. All using the 10 series to minimize cost.
Thinking of adding a floating "hood" to alleviate the dazzle from the exposed lights. Kinda pricey.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all on the ATO concerns, I was thinking maybe a cap full. I have heard of people actually dosing bleach for other purposes (believe me my first thought was omg what are you doing!) in the past so I was wondering if the might cup remove all this stuff I'm seeing.

In the meantime I won't add any bleach. I cleaned it out yesterday and if it comes back I'll take a photo. It's white, and stringy, almost like thin egg-drop soup or something. Hopefully it's a one time thing of some nasty waste splashing into there. I am using RO/DI with 0 TDS and while I do gat salt creep on the outside of the container, this definitely appeared to be more of a bacterial sludge.

I think I was more trying to get a sense of how many people's ATO's were getting clogged and being rendered nearly useless. I am considering converting it to a refugium if that number ends up being high.
Never. Cleaned the valve a couple times in 10 months. Not sure how a gravity fed ATO has so many issues.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I've read the Skimz QuietPro is loud, why would they call it QuietPro? I bought the Skimz SM 122 recirculating skimmer without the QuietPro and thought this is really what I was looking for even knowing the QuietPro was coming out and would be on some of Skimz's skimmers soon. I thought if the 122 with AC pump was too loud I would wait a year or two when they would start putting on the DC QP's. Now I have a loud skimmer that's not going to be replaced by a quiet, otherwise similar version and I'm still fiddling with the external part of the plumbing to boot, whew!! I should've bought a Nyos!

Yeah the price is pretty cheap for what it claims to do. I trust things BRS carries and gave it a shot. It’s not terrible, but for the price it’s not worth it. I think spending a tad bit more for the VarioS for the silence is worth it. Crossing my fingers it’s quieter and I’m not just some hypersensitive weirdo.

And amen to the NYOS. I’m running the Simplicity 120 and it’s kind of loud too. Maybe I should make the switch there too.

FLG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the cup from Little Ocean in UK or the Aussie one? I've got a Little Ocean one and might pick up another if my Reef Dreams baffle doesn't show up. I finally got through to them via phone after 2 and a half months from purchase and they said they had a fire in the shop and it destroyed the machine to make the baffles. They have a new machine but it will take a couple of weeks before the get things going again. Does anyone else know of anybody waiting on a Reef Dreams reefer baffle?

It is the Australian one. Ordered from FB link.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any ideas on how I can free the bubble trap media in the sump. It is caught up and hard as a brick :-/

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you cleaned it?
Considering he asked the same question a year ago, I'd venture to guess it's been a while :0

I'm wondering if you oversaturated with calcium and caused your sponge to essentially calcify, like gravel can do? Did you try pushing it up from the pump side?

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering he asked the same question a year ago, I'd venture to guess it's been a while :0

I'm wondering if you oversaturated with calcium and caused your sponge to essentially calcify, like gravel can do? Did you try pushing it up from the pump side?

Lol to be fair I don’t remember asking this question... but maybe I did. It has been a while. I was cleaning the entire sump out so I kept soaking it in vinegar and pushing it up and was able to finally get it out. No joke though. And I think your statement about it calcifying is correct. Thanks for the ideas

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Tv did a study on the filter socks.

What were their major conclusions? Was their assessment why you changed one of them out for an algae reactor?

FLG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were their major conclusions? Was their assessment why you changed one of them out for an algae reactor?

They concluded in a nut shell by my understandings.
Change Filter socks out every 3 days.
1 day was a waste of time and 5 days causes phosphate to rise etc. I'll look for video and post it.
I changed one sock because I really wanted a refugium but I also trying to keep everything neat and simple. From the research I have done refugiums are not a must but they don't do anything but help.
Hope this is helpful.

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those xr15s on the rms mount track? I’m debating that vs the individual mounts on the rear glass. How do you like it? Do you have the custom screen on top?

Thanks
Yes that is a rms with 3 xr15s. I have a custom top from artfully acrylic so i figured it would be easier and cheaper with 2 cut outs then 3.

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 170
Kessil 360
Reef octopus biopellet reactor
Reef octopus carbon/GFO reactor
Reef octopus external skimmer plumed off the Biopellet reactor
Reef octopus DC varios 4 return pump
cora life twist UV sterilizer

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Simplicity 120 DC skimmer is a bit loud. Thinking of returning it and getting something else. Any suggestions on a quieter skimmer for RSR 170?

IceCap k-50, NYOS Quantum 120, Bubble Magus 5, any other options?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the generator I was using during Irma fried my Apex and I'm trying to get the system back together- does anyone have a used Apex DOS for sale? Had a few grand in expenses from the storm and am struggling to get everything running.

Tank is okay, but had no powered light for two weeks. All my acros are a bit brown but have great PE, so I am optimistic.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Simplicity 120 DC skimmer is a bit loud. Thinking of returning it and getting something else. Any suggestions on a quieter skimmer for RSR 170?

IceCap k-50, NYOS Quantum 120, Bubble Magus 5, any other options?

I have the reef octopus 110ss and it’s quiet. No complaints yet.

Back