Just another way! Can’t see the lights but has a little glare on the floor
6677ede038de2b239d294110527c9776.jpg

07749744656801f8ac0bdbaa84b861d7.jpg

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veranda Pvc board, 1” x 7 1/4” x 8’ awesome clean looking, the aluminum is L track I made a box out of with 2 pieces. 100 different ways to do it, soon adding 4 T-5’s 2 on each side retro fit. Love my floating top. Clean to the ceiling only (2) 300 lbs Molly’s with wire down attached to the top. :) let me know if you want more detail.

revnull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my Klir Di-4 today.
effe8f98709abdad047e0f3b22ea1e4d.jpg

1st draft centering adapter.
15cddf7d99c00e4617e8c46a3af2e2b7.jpg

002011ce25bcbf50940fc435a508e3a0.jpg

Fits better than I thought.
d84bbb2ef048402ebb5054caadd897c3.jpg

fdc101fda9cb5a3ac3729ea0b880fc71.jpg

Next up, printing with the dam in place and testing the level sensor.

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veranda Pvc board, 1” x 7 1/4” x 8’ awesome clean looking, the aluminum is L track I made a box out of with 2 pieces. 100 different ways to do it, soon adding 4 T-5’s 2 on each side retro fit. Love my floating top. Clean to the ceiling only (2) 300 lbs Molly’s with wire down attached to the top. :) let me know if you want more detail.
Where did you pick up the PVC board I might have to change my floating canopy design to PVC board. Sounds not only lighter but longer lasting. I did mine out of pine with 3 coats of paint and primer and 2 coats of poly/ mineral spirits. Also what did it run you for the PVC board?

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Canopy. I’m trying to convince the spousal unit that this would look good on our 750 XXL but she’s not convinced yet. I don’t like the glare and look of the 4 black lights above the tank.
Thanks! Yeah it was actually my wife that said she hated the light glare in the living room so I built this. It was really easy and ran me about 40 dollars at home Depot. I definitely like the look of it better with the floating canopy as well as hiding the lights makes it look cleaner.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you pick up the PVC board I might have to change my floating canopy design to PVC board. Sounds not only lighter but longer lasting. I did mine out of pine with 3 coats of paint and primer and 2 coats of poly/ mineral spirits. Also what did it run you for the PVC board?

I got my pvc board from amazon

https://amzn.to/2N6rFvB

I used it to mount my controller and electronics you might need a thicker one unless its not holding anything just a skirt around a frame

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t remember exactly, but looking it up guessing about 100-120$, with all the hardware. If you include the hanging bracket looking more like 160-175$. Last forever and when the 45 degree angles meet it looks flawless. Clean, classy, and you don’t see lights.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use to keep the sump clean? I see the pics and the sumps look brand new. The sump for my 525 sure doesn't look new. I tried using the filter socks but they had to be changed and cleaned constantly. I went to the cups with floss and that seems to catch a lot of stuff but some still gets through, especially when replacing the floss. What other options are there? Whatever it is needs to be quick and easy because I travel a lot for work so it has to be something my wife can do when I'm gone.

Or do people just tear the sump down regularly and clean it out?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use to keep the sump clean? I see the pics and the sumps look brand new. The sump for my 525 sure doesn't look new. I tried using the filter socks but they had to be changed and cleaned constantly. I went to the cups with floss and that seems to catch a lot of stuff but some still gets through, especially when replacing the floss. What other options are there? Whatever it is needs to be quick and easy because I travel a lot for work so it has to be something my wife can do when I'm gone.

Or do people just tear the sump down regularly and clean it out?
The ones you see that are clean are most likely new. I know of no one that has a clean sump. Most people say the dirtier the sump the better it works. Lol

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful not to let it build up to much, as at some point it will release nitrates into your water and you will def have a crash, happened to me on my last setup. I keep mine pretty clean with power heads. Also love my filter socks! :)
Yeah, I vac it out pretty regularly. Socks are a hassle for my wife to mess with. I'm gone for a week or two at a time and while I have a bunch of the socks from when I was using them she would end up having to clean and wash them. She does a lot already when I'm gone, including cleaning the skimmer. I think that's enough to ask. :)

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove the bubble trap sponge , take a magic eraser and scrub it down. Then I take a turkey baster blast the heck out of it.. You can then either run the pump and let the tank inhabitants "use" the nutrients or shop vac out the water. Make sure to remove the ATO reservoir and clean the compartment below. Be wary though - that is a prime bristle worm hang out. Rinse the sponge and replace. After that.. I either put in a polishing filter sock or stuff the media cup filter floss topped off with a round carbon cut out, a round felt cutout to polish / catch anything that is trying to make it's way back down to the sump. After the water is clear - I go back to my other media cup with the sera crystal clear media which rests on top of marinepure gems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back