nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She is finally done and on week 1 of cycling now ...

A489CAB4-F63E-4B8A-86BE-94EDA5C3C80C.jpeg
E56EEC9F-A96F-4288-A0EF-B3D7F6CF65E4.jpeg
E1B4758C-5CE8-482F-9061-5434A0353952.jpeg
59AB796F-CFC7-411F-861A-0C85F64514A4.jpeg
very nice!!! super organized.
How do you get to the socks ot change them?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice!!! super organized.
How do you get to the socks ot change them?

Thanks, I replaced the socks with those red cups, filled with marine pure and pond matrix, topped with a pre-cut floss filter. See the details under my build link below. The cups slide out easily, tight fit with Nyos 120, but no issues.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use to keep the sump clean? I see the pics and the sumps look brand new. The sump for my 525 sure doesn't look new. I tried using the filter socks but they had to be changed and cleaned constantly. I went to the cups with floss and that seems to catch a lot of stuff but some still gets through, especially when replacing the floss. What other options are there? Whatever it is needs to be quick and easy because I travel a lot for work so it has to be something my wife can do when I'm gone.

Or do people just tear the sump down regularly and clean it out?

I tear down when it gets unsightly
Use a bucket shopvac
I use floss in one of those filter cups pull out the used floss with some tongs and put fresh floss in every couple of days
Definitely don’t let it build up as thats going to give you too much nutrients causing excess algae and other problems
im eventually getting the klir but im waiting to see how others do it

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tear down when it gets unsightly
Use a bucket shopvac
I use floss in one of those filter cups pull out the used floss with some tongs and put fresh floss in every couple of days
Definitely don’t let it build up as thats going to give you too much nutrients causing excess algae and other problems
im eventually getting the klir but im waiting to see how others do it

Yeah, I want to read some reviews before I buy the Klir. There's one review on BRS that says it's pretty cheaply made.

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed Par38 grow light bulb on my refugium last night. These bulbs are great for chaeto growth have had tremendous success with them in the past....

02.JPG

01.JPG

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my reefer 250 the barb on the return is currently 5/8”. If I wanted to unscrew it and replace it with a 3/4” barn does anyone know what the thread pitch is I need on the male side of the barb? @Broadfield ?

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those who have participated in my chaos and helped me through, I've got it sorted and have my system up and running for a water leak test. So far so good and I am absolutely stunned by how silent this system is. You can barely hear anything at all even with the everything off in the room, amazing. Haven't tied it in to my sump in the basement yet but am prepared and don't foresee any major problems as of yet. I'll post back in a few days with a video of the entire set up and have also set aside all progress photos to establish a nice build thread of my own. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions along the way, much appreciated.

Stock drain in use but custom drain on floor will exit out back and down to basement for my sump.

20181001_192623_HDR.jpg

20181001_192633_HDR.jpg

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great thread and only took me a few weeks to read through all 338 pages. Whew!

Question regarding return nozzle and turning off the return pump. I changed out the RSR nozzle with split loc line (single links + nozzle), but when I turn off the return pump it creates a continues siphon. I've tried adjusting it so the nozzle sits higher and breaks the siphon sooner, but it keeps sinking lower.

What are people doing to avoid this? Thanks.

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question regarding return nozzle and turning off the return pump. I changed out the RSR nozzle with split loc line (single links + nozzle), but when I turn off the return pump it creates a continues siphon. I've tried adjusting it so the nozzle sits higher and breaks the siphon sooner, but it keeps sinking lower.

I had this issue but the fix was very simple. I simply made couple of small holes on the loc lines. What that does is it sucks the air and stops the water siphoning back in the sump...Simple fix...hope it helps.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a VDM module with my Apex Aquacontroller Jr. to control my Reef Octopus Varios 4 return pump to a 8% flow rate. This actually stops the water in the return plumbing just enough so it doesn't siphon back. If I'm actually turning my pump all the way off for maintenance etc., I just let it siphon. The sump easily handles the overflow until the siphon breaks (as it is designed to do).

If you already have an Apex unit, it may already have the connections for a DC pump like a VarioS. But yeah, I can imagine this being a bit more involved than simply punching a few holes in the locline. Just make sure you punch the holes on the underside of the locline so water doesn't go spraying everywhere.

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of you guys discard the stock Red Sea plumbing and hard plumb the tank. Would anyone happen to have a overflow tube assembly with the flow valve in it from a V3 sump? I’m looking for one to hack up and put a Spears valve in. Don’t want to risk it with the only one that is on my tank. I attached a picture of the one on my 250 for reference. I think a few of the tanks use this same piping.
5328F15C-E578-4D18-B559-9D173B8929F9.jpeg

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning NY hard plumb on my xxl625 has anyone hard plumbed their 625 or 750 as they are pretty much the same set up. Want to have it plumbed diectly from my cor-20 into a carbon reactor controlled by gate valve than into a gfo reactor controlled by gate valve loop up to another gate valve for my UV steralizer and connected to my return.

I want to do this with a decent amount of unions to make taking reactors and uv out to clean replace bulbs ect. As well as a big pass. I have the idea the problem is how to fit it with the ATO still being in the tank. Otherwise I will have to put the ATO in the other cabinet and set it up through the wall.

Just want to see what other people have done any ideas problems that people have run into. I posted a picture of something similar to what I want to do except that is on a 250 rather than a 625 or 750.
32641825860_b3957f8fb7_z.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back