BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like terror.
How old did he get?
Very.... I eventually had to remove him. He got huge (5” about) and got more brown and less black as he grew. I had to catch him with a fish hook to get him out. I took him to my LFS and they dumped him in their 250 DT where he terrorized their fish for nearly 10 years. I went in one day to find he had just vanished. He certainly wasn’t beaten up by the other fish. He didn’t jump. No fish got sick. They think he died of old age and fell behind the rocks somewhere.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from the UK and I'm not sure if I can say the LFS. I'm concerned about his behaviour as he is not allowing any fish near him really but nkt doing any damage and has taken over my flasher wrasses bolt hole. Should I be worried
Although listed as semi aggressive mine was very bossy.What size tank?

Ed M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many do not want them.
Other think they are chromis.
Still others are afraid to add them.

I like to have a shoal of them and find it hard to choose.
So please post your nicest pictures of the damsel in your tank and indicate how many you keep.

Picture of one of my favorites (not my fish)

Springeri damsel.jpg
Well, I recently decided to go team Damsel. There are so many to pick from and they are relatively inexpensive. I have 3 electric blues. 3 talbots which are really cool and 3 that im not sure what they are----some say they are 2 striped damsels, maybe you can help.

20180825_161002.jpg

20180825_161046.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also had a beaugregory damsel. Beautiful fish and model citizen until he got to be about 1 1/2" then it all went south! He terrorized everything in the tank and even made 2 gobies jump out of the tank! I had to end up taking out all my rock to catch it because it refused to go into any trap I tried! Never again...
A pic of my beaugregory when he was a model citizen..
IMG_20170807_172039.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Here is my Azure. Originally was a mated pair in my 40 breeder. Woke up one morning to very cloudy water not sure caused by what although I suspect my rose bubble tips spawning. In any case it really messed up the water and the fish struggled. I did an emergency water change and go everything back to normal but this couple decided to fight. No idea why all of a sudden they would flip like that - I couldn't catch the other in time and this is all I have left at the moment. It followed with the upgrade to a 210 gallon. Once it matures hopefully within a year I'll be adding more along the lines of Talbots, Azures, and maybe some Tracy's.

20180521_133120.jpg
20180521_133120.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I recently decided to go team Damsel. There are so many to pick from and they are relatively inexpensive. I have 3 electric blues. 3 talbots which are really cool and 3 that im not sure what they are----some say they are 2 striped damsels, maybe you can help.

20180825_161002.jpg

20180825_161046.jpg
Its a Dascyllus sp. Maybe D. reticulatus?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of them ....

Mostly yellow-tail, with a few azure and Rolland. There are a few that I bought as talbots but are something else.

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Damsels are incredibly difficult to get photos of but I do have a YouTube video of my Damsel tank. Here are the details:
BioCube 32 Gallon: 7 Fish, information below = [personal name, common name, (max size) scientific name]
  • Bart - Bicolor Chromis (3.5”) Chromis margaritifer
  • Taz - Fiji Damsel Devilfish (3") Chrysiptera taupou
  • Edward - Scissortail Damsel (3") Neopomacentrus bankieri
  • Junior - 3 Striped Damsel (4") Dascyllus aruanus
  • Sarge - 4 Striped Damsel (3") Dascyllus melanurus
  • Scar - Caribbean Jewel Yellowtail Damsel (8") Microspathodon chrysurus
  • Spot - Beaugregory Damsel (4") Stegastes leucostictus [or maybe a Cocoa damselfish (5") Stegastes variabilis? or maybe a Longfin damselfish (5") Stegastes diencaeus?]
  • Venus - Purple/Green Tube Anemone (8”-12”) Cerianthus membranaceus
  • Charolette - Pink/Purple Tube Anemone
  • Sonnie - Orange/Green Tube Anemone
  • Clifford - Large Red Reef Lobster
  • Penny - Rainbow Urchin
  • Shadow - Black Long Spined Urchin
  • White Claw Hermit Crab
  • Small Purple Reef Lobster

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are actually Ambon Damsels. Haven't been able to find much about them.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many do not want them.
Other think they are chromis.
Still others are afraid to add them.

I really did think these guys where a kind of Chromis when I got them about 5 and a half years ago.

IMG_9753.JPG

I bought 5 for maybe $6 each. One did not survive QT, one recently just passed away and I still have a trio that continue to spawn all the time. They beat the hell out of each other from time to time, leave everyone else alone unless they go near the eggs and then recover and repeat the process.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5721813C-98C0-4291-8D1D-D5347543B047.jpeg
AAAE2B4F-5C1B-4041-A11C-C8505960D7AF.jpeg
This is Dory the Damsel. She went on an adventure last week. When I tore down my 60 gallon tank she went missing and miraculously turned up swimming around in my 125 a few days later. I don’t know if I scooped her up in a pitcher while moving water or if she was hiding in a rock, but she made it without being acclimated.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of them ....

Mostly yellow-tail, with a few azure and Rolland. There are a few that I bought as talbots but are something else.

Nice! I plan on adding a dozen or so allens damels in the near future to my 180

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three species in my tank, all in the genus Chrysiptera. In order of most-to-least day-to-day aggression, they are Talbott's (I have 2), Rolland's (3) and Azure (3). They've got a 220 gallon playground, but even so, the Talbott's can be rough on new arrivals, and the Rolland's and azures guard their nests with ferocity - they just have small territories.

~Bruce

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back