Show your damsels!!!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kattkrazie Angus is my son's favorite. A lfs was kind enough to tell him he'd be perfect...I know you are right. Unfortunately.

He will be pretty and well-behaved for quite a while. I like my damsel. He has more personality than any of my other fish. And he's never killed anyone, so there's that. Haha.

Electricianreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the only pic I have of Tom Haverford our Kupang Damsel
20180821_131028.jpeg

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electricianreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Ralphio is the cleaner shrimp, Jerry Gergich is the sand conch
Leslie Knope my clown and........ Yellow watchman is Ron Swanson paired with Tammy the candy pistol .
We lost Ann Perkins the tail spot recently.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many do not want them.
Other think they are chromis.
Still others are afraid to add them.

I like to have a shoal of them and find it hard to choose.
So please post your nicest pictures of the damsel in your tank and indicate how many you keep.

Picture of one of my favorites (not my fish)

Springeri damsel.jpg

Gorgeous! [emoji7]

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about twenty pics to get this one as the best. I don’t remember the type these two are. Cobolt is darker, larger and dominant with his fin up all day and Lapiz is a little lighter and smaller. Got them to eradicate a plague of flatworms and they have gotten the population down a bit. They aren’t the bosses of the tank, that’s the clowns and bicolour Blenny. They got pushed around for the first 48 hours but will stand up to the others now but without being aggressive about it. More like they just hold their ground and the clowns are accepting now. I was very dubious about getting them and hubby said ‘don’t name them because then you’ll get attached, they are here to get the flat worms then they are going.’ Yeah too late.
image.jpg

Gorgeous fish.

I love damsels, you need to do your homework to get the right species and they will reward you with a stunning display. These pictures are from a previous incarnation of my tank-
30910retro.jpg
30910greenchromis.jpg
30910hahchromis.jpg
30910damsel.jpg

The cloud is made up of green chromis, BlackTailed Chromis (C.Nigrura), half and half Chromis (C.Iomelas) and yellowtailed Damioselles (Neopomacentrus azysron) and a couple of Vandervelts chromis.
chromis01.jpg

and finally, for me, a very special damsel- this was the best picture of it I had. Sadly I lost them when my tank crashed a few years ago and haven't be able to source them since
damsel28.jpg

Which type of damsel is this last one, very special damsel?

These shots are from some years ago, beau gregories I think
damsel1.JPG
damsel2.JPG

Wow. Those look amazing.

upload_2018-8-22_11-40-35.png

This was Sparky the Starcki Damsel. My friend Dennis was nice enough to adopt him when I was forced to break down my tank. I got him from Live Aquaria and had him for 4 years.

I love the color and pattern on this one. Great fish to look at.

I currently have 3 of these little guys. Had them since March with no issues in a very peaceful tank. Very tempting to add about 5 more!

9B22E445-747D-4298-90BA-5D18C00BC812.jpeg

These are from the Chrysiptera family and supposed to be friendly. Great picture.

Lepidozygous? Fusilier damsel? This one makes him look better than some other photos I've seen!
~Bruce

I like to know the same.

Fast forward 5 yrs. and this is what Angus will look like. And he will be far from sweet. Lol. My damsel is the tank boss and he runs a tight ship. He was no bigger than a dime when I got him. He's a pet, however, so I tolerate his nastiness.
:rolleyes:

F2254B64-191B-4277-AB8C-78DBD1AC9FAE.jpeg

He looks evil for sure.

This was the only pic I have of Tom Haverford our Kupang Damsel
20180821_131028.jpeg

Photo bomber... could be worse. Hehehe

Christmas island gold domino damsels
Took me awhile to find these. First time I saw these growing up in Oahu at Waikiki Aquarium.
DSC03261.jpg
DSC03031.jpg

Awesome fish.
Do they behave?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these at the LFS yesterday:

Talbotis... I will get about 7 of these.

20180822_105936.jpg

There was also these gorgeous Fiji Blue Devils. There were 2 of them in opposit tanks with a glass partition. One was quiet dominant and showing off colours and fins all the time. The other one was not very impressed and seemed much calmer.
They are the same family as the talbotis so I hope one would be possible to add.
20180822_111814.jpg
20180822_111856.jpg

And then there were these neons (Pomacentrus alleni)
Adding a couple of these would be great too.
20180822_110710.jpg

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepidozygous? Fusilier damsel? This one makes him look better than some other photos I've seen!

~Bruce
Yes Fusilier Damsels (Lepidozygus tapeinosoma) I had a school of 10- yes they were a school. If I remember correctly they were on an Australian import. When I saw them in the LFS they were grey, washed out fish, sulking at the back of a small tank, I bought them because I was into damsels as a group fish, they took 3-4 weeks before they coloured up and rewarded me with a cracking display as they schooled and swam as a group around the tank. They needed feeding like anthias 3-5 times per day but they weren't fussy about the food they would take anything small in the water column.
Another photo of (I think) a male
fusilier%20damsel01.jpg

Last edited:

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another favorite (OK another Chromis but they are damsels) Nitida
aug080004.jpg

Do not buy these as a group they will happily live together as juveniles but when they get to about 1 1/2-2" they will not tolerate each other, I had WW3 in my system for 2 months till I got down to one from 12. Holy terrors within the group but peaceful with other fish.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 2nd photo Damsel food? Is that a flounder or what is that object below it.
Those eyes peeking out of the sand belong to a lesser electric skate. I caught it while on vacation in Florida and kept it for the week, super interesting fish, it was chowing down on squid and shrimp and I let it go where I found it before we left. In hind sight I regret even keeping for 5 days, but I was younger and dumber and certainly wouldn't do that now.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these at the LFS yesterday:

Talbotis... I will get about 7 of these.

20180822_105936.jpg

There was also these gorgeous Fiji Blue Devils. There were 2 of them in opposit tanks with a glass partition. One was quiet dominant and showing off colours and fins all the time. The other one was not very impressed and seemed much calmer.
They are the same family as the talbotis so I hope one would be possible to add.
20180822_111814.jpg
20180822_111856.jpg

And then there were these neons (Pomacentrus alleni)
Adding a couple of these would be great too.
20180822_110710.jpg
Alleni damsels are the best! I have a pair in my 150 gallon and they breed seasonally. They don't bother anyone, are always active, and dig quite a bit but that behavior usually stops once they're happy with the burrow they've created. The only issue is when I'm cleaning near the males nest, he goes bonkers on me and bites until I leave. Him and my blue throat have a similar relationship, the blue throat likes to hang out near his nest and the damsel hates the trigger near his nest, so they'll try to beat the holy tarnation out of each other until the damsel goes under his clam shell and "growls" in anger at the trigger or the trigger gets tired of being harassed and vacates the area.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the largest Damsel fish while snorkelling in Maui just a couple weeks ago!!! It was at least 7" in diameter and initially I thought I was dreaming but then when I saw the list of fish inhabiting this particular beach .... I'm like Whhhoooaaaa ... :eek:

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 springeri that are very peaceful. That's the pic you posted. They do not shoal. They've split up the tank 5 ways and are seldom seen together. They were added at the same time.
That's not actually a true Springeri, it's an undescribed species that's closely related: https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

Here is my Springeri, very peaceful little guy. Only time I've seen him quarrel was with an emerald crab that tried to take over his hide.
DSC03130.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only a small subset of the damsels in my tank. I have absolutely no issues with them bothering other fish, though they do spend quite a lot of energy chasing each other around. Some larger tangs in the tank 'force' them to often shelter within some of my larger acro colonies.

IMG_0901.JPG

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not actually a true Springeri, it's an undescribed species that's closely related: https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

Here is my Springeri, very peaceful little guy. Only time I've seen him quarrel was with an emerald crab that tried to take over his hide.
DSC03130.jpg
You're right and I've posted the same link in another thread but most fish stores including Live Aquaria list the other as springeri so that is what is generally accepted.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my oldest fish to date. A damsel that I have no idea what he was either. He lived to be 18 years old and was 5-6 inches in length. This pic was taken 6 years ago.

damsel.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back