Show your damsels!!!

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right and I've posted the same link in another thread but most fish stores including Live Aquaria list the other as springeri so that is what is generally accepted.
Two wrongs don't make a right!

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days im going to catch this 4 stripe terror and he can live in my sump until I find him a home.

15350781585832917720651225064140.jpg

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-8-22_11-40-35.png

This was Sparky the Starcki Damsel. My friend Dennis was nice enough to adopt him when I was forced to break down my tank. I got him from Live Aquaria and had him for 4 years.

I just emailed LA and asked if they could get one. I also checked with Exotic Fish N Reef (They are a great source for rare fish btw) --- he told me they tend to be uncommon because they are sourced from Australia and he hasn't see one in trade in several months :'-(.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just emailed LA and asked if they could get one. I also checked with Exotic Fish N Reef (They are a great source for rare fish btw) --- he told me they tend to be uncommon because they are sourced from Australia and he hasn't see one in trade in several months :'-(.
They are found in the Philippines as well. My LFS had one last month.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are found in the Philippines as well. My LFS had one last month.

I wish it was possible to have fish shipped from the LFS . I would literally call them right now and ask - can you ship to me and charge me an extra $55 [emoji28]

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was possible to have fish shipped from the LFS . I would literally call them right now and ask - can you ship to me and charge me an extra $55 [emoji28]
Some do just that

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bad picture of a domino damsel I had in my 500 gallon. He grew to be very large and was a holy terror. You can see he's bigger than my youngish yellow tang!

winneris (2018_06_16 02_13_12 UTC).JPG

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino damsels can be ornery. At the pet store I worked at once upon a time, someone traded in a domino about that size and we put it in a 125 gallon with a clown trigger that was about 8-10 inches. The domino had the clown trigger pinned in the corner of that tank and if it moved that damsel was right there to rip its fins off. Needless to say they were separated and the experiment was not repeated.

Johnbhoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180824_200320.jpg
20180824_200323.jpg

My new Starcki damselfish :)
I've had a Starcki for around a year now, it was so vibrant when I got it (specially ordered it due to it's colouration and temperament) but it has been fairly dull across it's forehead for a while now. I thought it had something to do with it being down the pecking order in the tank and it's colours were suppressed but it's now in a tank where it's top dog along side my Picasso clown female, so I'm not sure about that theory now. It gets a good varied diet with NLS, Vitalis and various frozen foods.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Starcki for around a year now, it was so vibrant when I got it (specially ordered it due to it's colouration and temperament) but it has been fairly dull across it's forehead for a while now. I thought it had something to do with it being down the pecking order in the tank and it's colours were suppressed but it's now in a tank where it's top dog along side my Picasso clown female, so I'm not sure about that theory now. It gets a good varied diet with NLS, Vitalis and various frozen foods.
That's unfortunate I hope he colours up for you again

Very pretty.That is the Australian variant.:)
Here's a good read for the differences and distribution of this beautiful fish.
https://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/17/chrysiptera-starcki-damselfish/
Thanks for the link and naming the variant, I'll go check it out now

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days im going to catch this 4 stripe terror and he can live in my sump until I find him a home.

15350781585832917720651225064140.jpg

Just hook it ..... that's what I did. Then foisted it on my unsuspecting friend who was new to SW ..... Curious he's no longer answering my phone calls.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bad picture of a domino damsel I had in my 500 gallon. He grew to be very large and was a holy terror. You can see he's bigger than my youngish yellow tang!
winneris (2018_06_16 02_13_12 UTC).JPG

That looks like terror.
How old did he get?

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about twenty pics to get this one as the best. I don’t remember the type these two are. Cobolt is darker, larger and dominant with his fin up all day and Lapiz is a little lighter and smaller. Got them to eradicate a plague of flatworms and they have gotten the population down a bit. They aren’t the bosses of the tank, that’s the clowns and bicolour Blenny. They got pushed around for the first 48 hours but will stand up to the others now but without being aggressive about it. More like they just hold their ground and the clowns are accepting now. I was very dubious about getting them and hubby said ‘don’t name them because then you’ll get attached, they are here to get the flat worms then they are going.’ Yeah too late.

image.jpg
These two (springeri) WERE quite peaceful...till last night. They harassed the bicolour Blenny so much he attempted suicide, luckily he landed in the rear sump. They also harassed the tiny ruby dragonette, found her lifeless little body this morning. They also must have ticked off the clowns as one of the damsels had a bite mark on his side. They made their way back to lfs today. I will try again when we get a bigger tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back