Shrimp die off

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp die off

I have had 2 cleaner shrimps for about 1 yare now, healthy and fine. I have also added 5 peppermint shrimps for about 2 weeks ago. Both cleaner shrimps have died the last weeks. And I have lost 2 peppermints as well. the system is 210gallons in total.

Tank tread for more info about the system:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/210-gallon-sps-dominante-system.538984/

I am waiting for an ICP test answer from Triton, but would be nice to find something that could be the cause before all shrimps are dead.

What can be the cause for them dying? :eek::(

Measurements:
ALK: 9,4dkh
CA: 390
MG: 1260
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
PO4: 0
Copper: 0
ORP: 400
Salt: 1.025
Temp: 25-25,3 celcius

50437924_414611415947889_7168000353428832256_n.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are highly sensitive to metals, so perhaps an ICP test could answer that option, or at least eliminate it. I lost 2 cleaners and a Peppermint. I had elevated Zinc levels, but not certain that was the cause. Frankly I wondered if the Peppermint killed the Cleaners then met his own demise in some other way. The Peppermint I had turned out to be a real jerk and later research showed this happens with them sometimes. Could be your Peppermints killed some of their own too, but I am no expert.

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the above mentioned above heavy metals are a common issue. Look at your heaters, inverts are usually super sensitive to Copper, you may want to see if your have a cracked heater or if there is condensation forming in it.

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are highly sensitive to metals, so perhaps an ICP test could answer that option, or at least eliminate it. I lost 2 cleaners and a Peppermint. I had elevated Zinc levels, but not certain that was the cause. Frankly I wondered if the Peppermint killed the Cleaners then met his own demise in some other way. The Peppermint I had turned out to be a real jerk and later research showed this happens with them sometimes. Could be your Peppermints killed some of their own too, but I am no expert.
Thank you guys,

I’ll have a look at the heater, both are 6months old and ehimes so hope they still are good. I couldn’t measure any copper with the test set, still waiting for the ICP answers from triton.

It all happened after 5 new peppermint shrimps got added to the tank, so they kill other shrimps??

I have never heard about that before but that could explain everything

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my long term pair of cleaners due to high levels of Zinc in my tank. (ICP test)

Turned out I wasn’t washing my hands well enough to remove my zinc enriched face cream. ☹️
Could be that, but have to wait for the ICP test then :/ but i haven`t had my hands in the tank for 3 weeks tho.
I think it might be that the peppermint killed the cleaner shrimp.. looks like outher people have had the same happen

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over dosing of iodine is often another possibility, not sure if you dose that or not, but that can cause excessive shedding and stress

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over dosing of iodine is often another possibility, not sure if you dose that or not, but that can cause excessive shedding and stress
I will share my ICP test when it`s ready, i got my GF to add some carbon to take out toxsins. but i do have 3 shrimp left, just one in the display tho.
i guess it could be the killer. :confused: i will have to wait and see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Metals likely cause. Elevated nitrate and low calcium also contributor. I would take some water to your LFS for a second opinion/comparison to your test results

OP
OP
alexjoha

alexjoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metals likely cause. Elevated nitrate and low calcium also contributor. I would take some water to your LFS for a second opinion/comparison to your test results
Don`t have a local shop :confused: but i have sen`t it in to Trioton, an ICP so guess ill wait for that then. I did add some carbon to take out anything.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back