20220320_110236.jpg
20220320_110333.jpg
20220320_110113.jpg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just use an orange lense but I tried just for fun taking a picture (with the lense on) through the orange filter glasses and this is the result. I kinda like it it’s definitely even more realistic of what stuff looks like under the blues.
5F03290D-B5CC-4696-ABE3-EBCDDCAF4DEE.jpeg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just use an orange lense but I tried just for fun taking a picture (with the lense on) through the orange filter glasses and this is the result. I kinda like it it’s definitely even more realistic of what stuff looks like under the blues.
5F03290D-B5CC-4696-ABE3-EBCDDCAF4DEE.jpeg
Nice:D Calling dibs on a booger!

TDiefRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color lens kit yall using to take pics? I need more options to get true to life pics dialed in! Yellow and orange alone or combined just aint getting there in any configuration!
20220321_172910.jpg
20220321_172845.jpg
20220321_172838.jpg
20220321_172820.jpg
20220321_172814.jpg
20220321_172753.jpg

@MERKEY hows your looking?:D
20220321_172727.jpg
We've gone through all the lenses and nothing is true to color, the orange is the closest and what we've been using.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @DiefsReef I'm stacking yellow and blue, and have run through a few different options, none giving you perfectly true to life color.
Any tips on getting mushrooms to actually split? I've got a few but nothing is splitting yet, and feeling more and more like I may have to intervene. (was hoping to have at least one split first in case they didn't take the cutting well.
What sort of mushroom are we talking about?

Essentially they split when they are very happy, or quite stressed. I'm not a huge proponent of inducing stress, and some very happy, slow to propagate mushrooms will only split every so often. Some will split once a month.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With filters for the cade I stack yellow & orange, it gets the closest and my tank isn't even blue to the eye, just the way my phone picks up this light system. The lifegard gets just an orange.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching everyone talk filters, if you looked in my tank these are the colours you would see in person, we all know how much of a fan of blues I am! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x716).jpg

DSC_0009 (1024x684).jpg
True that Simon the best true to life pix ive been able to get are by using your technique. Right up close to the glass no color lenses or filters, in pro mode with everything auto and jist shooting raw dog. Since my phone force updated me my cam has a real hard time focusing without blocking out the lamp. Super frustrating man!
Any tips on getting mushrooms to actually split? I've got a few but nothing is splitting yet, and feeling more and more like I may have to intervene. (was hoping to have at least one split first in case they didn't take the cutting well.
Everything @Lost in the Sauce said.. I'm not a huge advocate of cutting my shrooms. I like to let them settle in and find sweet spot they sprawl out and do the best in. From there i like to move them just out of that spot and make them walk back to it.. I've had great success using gravity as well by just gluing plugs to disc so my shrooms are up in the air and want to walk back down to solid ground.. Once the foot starts stretching out away from the base you can clean cut that and remove it from mom and should get a nice little booger from it.
I don’t at the moment I was just playing around with lenses haha but I’ll get some later tonight after classes
Still waiting lol. Curious what the color of cap is. My buddy has a nice disco I think he picked it up as Creamsicle or sherbert or something like that. Its not JB orange but more of a Creamsicle orange if that makes sense.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @DiefsReef I'm stacking yellow and blue, and have run through a few different options, none giving you perfectly true to life color.

Essentially they split when they are very happy, or quite stressed. I'm not a huge proponent of inducing stress, and some very happy, slow to propagate mushrooms will only split every so often. Some will split once a month.
Running through your thread yesterday I figured out im going to try the ice cap filters and probably pick up some of those orange glasses next time I'm at lfs. With all that I may just be able to get a decent pic lol That and probably upgrade phone!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running through your thread yesterday I figured out im going to try the ice cap filters and probably pick up some of those orange glasses next time I'm at lfs. With all that I may just be able to get a decent pic lol That and probably upgrade phone!
See if you can find a Google Pixel 4 for sale used and just keep it as your coral picture Taker. Just keep it charged and hooked up to Wi-Fi.

The P6 software is quite a bit different. It actually makes it more difficult to pick up the colors we love seeing.

Luna Lagoona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Largely thinking of discosoma mushrooms like the superman and other flat skin discos.

I've had them for a couple months and based on what I had heard I thought they would split themselves and make new mouths but haven't seen that happen yet.

@LRT that's an interesting idea about just cutting a piece of the foot. In other YouTube videos of mushroom propagation they usually cut the flesh in half across the mouth. (ouch!)

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean about plug placement to get the Mushroom to move on it's own.

Generally I do everything in my power to keep mushrooms as attached as possible as I've had a heck of a job trying to get them to reattach after they become free floating.

Your mushroom herding skills are clearly next level

See if you can find a Google Pixel 4 for sale used and just keep it as your coral picture Taker. Just keep it charged and hooked up to Wi-Fi.

The P6 software is quite a bit different. It actually makes it more difficult to pick up the colors we love seeing.
This is a clever idea. I take it you want the pixel 4 for the free google photo storage or something? :p

20220312_180746.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largely thinking of discosoma mushrooms like the superman and other flat skin discos.

I've had them for a couple months and based on what I had heard I thought they would split themselves and make new mouths but haven't seen that happen yet.

@LRT that's an interesting idea about just cutting a piece of the foot. In other YouTube videos of mushroom propagation they usually cut the flesh in half across the mouth. (ouch!)

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean about plug placement to get the Mushroom to move on it's own.

Generally I do everything in my power to keep mushrooms as attached as possible as I've had a heck of a job trying to get them to reattach after they become free floating.

This is a clever idea. I take it you want the pixel 4 for the free google photo storage or something? :p

20220312_180746.jpg
No, the Pixel 4 is the best phone camera for reef tanks that I've ever seen. I upgraded to the Pixel 6 and still Keep my p4 for shooting the tanks.

I'm not sure I've ever even seen one of my disco mushroom split. They always walk leaving little bits of foot behind them which become the new mushroom.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LRT what is the name of this one? Is it a hairy mushroom? I have a momma that has split a few times and now her babies are splitting too. The family of them is staying close together and not wandering so I guess that's good?

Copy.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220312_180746.jpg
Hi Luna thanks for the kind words. From old system to now its been a super steady shroom only build trying to get kinks worked out and dialed in to meet quite a few of my premadonna shrooms needs lol.
Here's what I mean about placement.
When I got my Og godzilla it was on a frag plug. I took frag plug and glued it to disc so its sitting up instead of laying flat like here.
20220323_125036.jpg

Over time they naturally want to climb down to lay flat especially if you get them room to do that around them. Over time she's probably dropped me 7 or 8 babies while she walked down the plug onto disc and finally onto tile like shown here.
20220323_125127.jpg
20220323_125242.jpg

This technique has worked for all the shrooms ive tried it with.
20220323_125054.jpg
20220323_125146.jpg
20220323_125224.jpg

And yes I dont like to cut shrooms in half. In my experience most shroom are super susceptible to pathogens and my success rate after year 3 has been about 2 out of 15 shrooms honestly.
That being said I look around the feet for little pieces of foot stretching away from base of stem like a little booger with a empirical cord attached. I just cut the cord and break the little booger off and thats what ive seen the most of with Discos. You don't want to damage the base though.
Also you may see a little piece of foot that looks webbed out around the base. These are just natural babies your cutting off and will speed up the process with them turning into mini shrooms lol.
Here's a piece of webbing I'm trying to describe.
20220221_164415.jpg

Just cut it at base of stem and remove it from mom and should end up with a nice little baby in no time.
Copy.jpg

I have a foot booger thread in mushroom forum showing progress on some booger ill go grab a link:)
Here's that link:)
20220323_125224.jpg 20220323_125146.jpg 20220323_125054.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 117 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back