Shy Fish

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a little help with my shy fish.

I had them set up in a 72 gallon and the they would come out to meet me all the time. My Blue tang would follow me up and down the tank. If I took my phone out for pictures he would try and get in the way and always wanted his picture taken. The other fish were pretty social as well, but not nearly as much as Blue.

At the end of January I upgraded to a 120G! Since that time, all the fish seem to be scared and nervous every time I come close to the tank. they run and hide, and even when I am feeding them it takes them a while to realize that the food is there and they aren't going to die going for it. Once the food is gone, they head back to hiding in the rocks. I have my couch to watch TV right beside the tank, and as the evening progresses and I start to watch tv, they will come to that side of the tank and seem to chill with me and watch tv as well. Once I get up to go sit in front of the tank though, they will run and hide. Eventually, they will slowly come back out, but maybe after 30 minutes or more and are still really skittish, if I move, or get closer to the tank, they hide.

Is there a reason for this? Will they eventually get used to me again and come out when I come around? Is there a way to speed this process up? I like watching the fish swim around and play through the rocks. I have bought a new fish, and he stayed out for a while, but after a couple weeks has gone the way of every other fish and hides when I come around the tank.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many/what fish are in there? Sometimes adding a couple of smaller, active fish will help draw out the shy ones :)

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and stand by my tank for a little everyday to help shy fish get used to seeing me. Can't say if it really work (I have one shy fish now but it only been about a week). On my old tank it worked but I also had many fish where this current tank only has two right now.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also try and stand or sit by the tank every day, some days it doesn't work out and some days I get to enjoy it for quite a while!

My current stock is 4 tangs (they all get along, and if they stopped I have a couple different options for keeping the peace) blue, yellow, tomini and Achilles.
I have two clown fish, they seem to host the back wall not the anemones...
royal gramma
Yasha goby

I don't want to add to many more so that the tangs still have a lot of space to swim. Any suggestions would be great though!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also try and stand or sit by the tank every day, some days it doesn't work out and some days I get to enjoy it for quite a while!

My current stock is 4 tangs (they all get along, and if they stopped I have a couple different options for keeping the peace) blue, yellow, tomini and Achilles.
I have two clown fish, they seem to host the back wall not the anemones...
royal gramma
Yasha goby

I don't want to add to many more so that the tangs still have a lot of space to swim. Any suggestions would be great though!
A group of green chromis or sturdy anthias would help 'pull' fish out in the open.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A group of green chromis or sturdy anthias would help 'pull' fish out in the open.

would I have to get all the same? or could I mix and match green and blue chromis, or a bunch of different anthias species? or best to stick to all green, or all lyrtail anthias

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would I have to get all the same? or could I mix and match green and blue chromis, or a bunch of different anthias species? or best to stick to all green, or all lyrtail anthias

You can mix and match. I would suggest maybe dispar or carberryi, or maybe one of the saddled anthias like the flavoguttatus.

And I think every tank needs a wrasse or two :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha my current shy fish is my Purple Queen Anthias but this is the first time having an Anthias
Purple queens are a difficult species and have a difficult time thriving as the sole specimen of their species.

They can be mixed to a degree. I would get a group of any species you decide and you can have multiple groups.

You can mix and match. I would suggest maybe dispar or carberryi, or maybe one of the saddled anthias like the flavoguttatus.

And I think every tank needs a wrasse or two :)
For first time anthias keepers I would recommend against any of the saddled anthias and rather stick with lyretails and bartletts or dispar and randalls.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For first time anthias keepers I would recommend against any of the saddled anthias and rather stick with lyretails and bartletts or dispar and randalls.
Hm, I thought I read the flavos were more hardy than some. Good to know, I was thinking about some myself ;)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Would you suggest a pair or at least 3?
Always groups. 3 would be the minimum, but more is better.
Hm, I thought I read the flavos were more hardy than some. Good to know, I was thinking about some myself ;)
Hardier than ventralis and tiger queens, but not nearly as hardy as dispar, randalls, or carberryi.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to go check out what kind of chromis and or anthias are at the LFS.

I have a request at one of the LFS for a Potters wrasse, have been waiting a few months and they still haven't gotten one yet unfortunately.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back