Sierra_Bravo's "What did I get myself into??" 120g in-wall build thread

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bud! Hang in there! There are highs and lows in this hobby... Those with endurance are rewarded in the end!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this hobby is not for sissies! Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Sorry about all this trouble and loss of corals and fish
Unfortunately most of the mistakes in this hobby are due to human error. Luckily with a clear head you'll find a way to get this sorted.
Before you start, please get back first:
  • My patience.
  • My mind
Good luck!

Sorry bud! Hang in there! There are highs and lows in this hobby... Those with endurance are rewarded in the end!

I just needed to document my frustration. It's only time and money. I'm already up and working on testing, cleanup, and mapping a plan to get everything stable. I need a solution for my business travel, however. Hey Ty - want to drive down to San Antonio and stay at my house for a few weeks every once in a while? My wife is a great cook - she could add some much needed weight to you like she's done to me. :p:D

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just needed to document my frustration. It's only time and money. I'm already up and working on testing, cleanup, and mapping a plan to get everything stable. I need a solution for my business travel, however. Hey Ty - want to drive down to San Antonio and stay at my house for a few weeks every once in a while? My wife is a great cook - she could add some much needed weight to you like she's done to me. :p:D
Haha, but who's gonna look after my tank? [emoji50]

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my posts lately have been on the negative side. I took some pics of the tank that were not affected by my recent issues; I've got nothing to complain about. :)

EMe4zggl.jpg

Gt3QMaOl.jpg

jhHq4gRl.jpg

3a4M6K6l.jpg

HQhsl4El.jpg

uKej16Ul.jpg

9eb62Bql.jpg

ZslESAil.jpg

pQpsfEol.jpg

SwUxQcql.jpg

Z4AugPNl.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My odd growing slimer. Only horizontal growth and all from the bottom - top has just become a little bushier. I'm guessing it has to be due to downward flow from my Gyres. It's in a place where the opposing current often comes together and diverts downward. WWC Yellow Tip right beside it has the same thing going on, although the original stalk is growing vertical.

zpvWVc3l.jpg

8o1VYJil.jpg

Happy about my Palmer's Blue Millie finally taking off. Sat idle for a long time.

9mQpFdNl.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My odd growing slimer. Only horizontal growth and all from the bottom - top has just become a little bushier. I'm guessing it has to be due to downward flow from my Gyres. It's in a place where the opposing current often comes together and diverts downward. WWC Yellow Tip right beside it has the same thing going on, although the original stalk is growing vertical.

zpvWVc3l.jpg

8o1VYJil.jpg

Happy about my Palmer's Blue Millie finally taking off. Sat idle for a long time.

9mQpFdNl.jpg

The green slimer direction of growth is indeed very depending on the flow.
Mine went sideways as well due to the one directional flow.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grow, darn you, grow! FTS under evening blues. Not too bad for a cell phone. I didn't see it until after, but if you look on the orange monti sitting on the bottom in the middle of the tank you'll see my little red scooter blenny perched on top taking it easy. :)

OaKBWEvh.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grow, darn you, grow! FTS under evening blues. Not too bad for a cell phone. I didn't see it until after, but if you look on the orange monti sitting on the bottom in the middle of the tank you'll see my little red scooter blenny perched on top taking it easy. :)

OaKBWEvh.jpg

Great shot.
The tank is looking top notch.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, Frags, and Corals look great. Gives me an Idea where my tank full of baby frag will be someday. I hope.

I know the feeling about watching slow, SLOW, painfully Slow SPS Growth.

And the one thing about seeing your Tank at this Stage that SCARES ME, is the Frags do get bigger, and I've go mine too close together.

I did a rewind on your thread, and you put in Coral in you tank approx. Dec 2017. So you are about 10 months old.

However that's a problem I look forward to, so I have some time.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tank I think I will do a little better with my rockwork. If I were to do it over I'd have used less rock, created more space in the middle and made the islands height's unequal. At this point I've got so many frags glued to it I'm not going to remove anything.

FTS with mostly blues/actinics:

3nDJFU5h.jpg

Hey Scott,

Just noticed this. That Arch that makes the Cave Like opening... on YOUR right side Rock Island...

Is that a "CaribSea Shape" argonite rock? It looks very familiar.

I think I have the exact same piece, but my Carib Arch in my 110G is on the left side (making similar Cave opening like your rockscape)

45421074101_cefae844e5_z.jpg

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this female spot breast swallowtail.
Yup. I got one a couple of years ago. Cute as Button, since it was a bit smaller than yours.
It will get bigger, and FATTER and in my tank became the Dominant Bully. Not terrible just fully in charge of tank.
I moved him out to another tank, to give new fish a chance with my new setup.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, Frags, and Corals look great. Gives me an Idea where my tank full of baby frag will be someday. I hope.

I know the feeling about watching slow, SLOW, painfully Slow SPS Growth.

And the one thing about seeing your Tank at this Stage that SCARES ME, is the Frags do get bigger, and I've go mine too close together.

I did a rewind on your thread, and you put in Coral in you tank approx. Dec 2017. So you are about 10 months old.

However that's a problem I look forward to, so I have some time.

There are frag racks behind both islands that are full and not helping with the visual clutter.

The montis have been in there a year this month. The majority of the acros went in Jan-April of this year. I am very guilty of buying too much, too soon, and putting them too close together. I know I'll have problems this next year and will need to trim and cull some out, but buying those frags at the beginning was just so darn addictive!

Hey Scott,

Just noticed this. That Arch that makes the Cave Like opening... on YOUR right side Rock Island...

Is that a "CaribSea Shape" argonite rock? It looks very familiar.

I think I have the exact same piece, but my Carib Arch in my 110G is on the left side (making similar Cave opening like your rockscape)

45421074101_cefae844e5_z.jpg

No, it came from Tampa Bay Saltwater with the rest. It's Walt Smith 2.0 and all random shapes.

I've mentioned it before, but I wish I had left more open space in mine and scaled back the rock - yours looks really nice. Our tanks are not far apart in development at all.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are frag racks behind both islands that are full and not helping with the visual clutter.

The montis have been in there a year this month. The majority of the acros went in Jan-April of this year. I am very guilty of buying too much, too soon, and putting them too close together. I know I'll have problems this next year and will need to trim and cull some out, but buying those frags at the beginning was just so darn addictive!
I had the same addiction. I sought Physiological Treatment (Wife noticed bank account) :) I keep telling her. Frags are an investment with a possible good rate of return :) :)

No, it came from Tampa Bay Saltwater with the rest. It's Walt Smith 2.0 and all random shapes.
I've mentioned it before, but I wish I had left more open space in mine and scaled back the rock - yours looks really nice. Our tanks are not far apart in development at all.
Exactly the reason when I stumbled on your thread I joined in The 120G title gave me hint, we have same size tanks & Similar setup. Approx Same start time too. Frag about same point.
Heck even you rocks cape, Seaswirl position is similar but reversed left-right. In wall too!!
This very interesting for me, to compare your journey on Frag Growth, Water Chemistry, and things that come along the way. (That's priceless to me....Way better than looking at someone's 5 year old point, or more...Drooling)
Maybe you posted this, what is you current water chemistry. Most interested in Nitrates and Phosphates the most, since mine are a bit high N=25 P=0.19

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same addiction. I sought Physiological Treatment (Wife noticed bank account) :) I keep telling her. Frags are an investment with a possible good rate of return :) :)

Exactly the reason when I stumbled on your thread I joined in The 120G title gave me hint, we have same size tanks & Similar setup. Approx Same start time too. Frag about same point.
Heck even you rocks cape, Seaswirl position is similar but reversed left-right. In wall too!!
This very interesting for me, to compare your journey on Frag Growth, Water Chemistry, and things that come along the way. (That's priceless to me....Way better than looking at someone's 5 year old point, or more...Drooling)
Maybe you posted this, what is you current water chemistry. Most interested in Nitrates and Phosphates the most, since mine are a bit high N=25 P=0.19

Last time I tested was Saturday. Mag is a tad higher than normal; other than that I'm where I like to keep it. I dose as needed a nitrate and a phosphate solution to keep them between 3-5ppm and .02 to .04ppm, respectively. Without dosing they can go to zero on me.

3o7sTRal.png

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose as needed a nitrate and a phosphate solution to keep them between 3-5ppm and .02 to .04ppm, respectively. Without dosing they can go to zero on me.
Our Water Params are almost dead on expect for N&P.
That's a head scratcher for me. I had Nitrate around 5, and Phosphates around .05-.1 when I started tank.
Slowly they rose and won't come down. P was higher but I started using Phosguard (just recently)
I have an Algae Scrubber with Cheato (restarted recently)
MAYBE IF FEED MY FISH TOO MUCH, and 2 Times a Week I Feed Corals Reef Roids, and some Aminos.
I'm not complaining, since I rather feed fish then have to add stuff to bring up N&P.

I need to rewind and read about your Filtration. Especially how you bring down Nitrates.
Maybe the few months you are ahead of me, is predicting my future.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back