OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB : Here's an image of the right side of the tank looking down somewhat distorted because I'm shooting at an angle through the glass. They are close, but not right on top of one another. And some are at different elevations that the top pic is having a hard time showing.

A few will be a problem - that Garf Bonsai spread out way more than I thought and is affecting the sarmentosa to it's below right; however the sarmentosa is growing away from the rock while the Garf is going vertical. The WWC Yellow Tip next to the green slimer in the rear will probably eventually be an issue. We'll see. The Red Dragon needs to be relocated for sure.

If you didn't have to make changes every once in a while it would be boring, right? :)

gXCdyBul.jpg

OrzyCWGl.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm concerned, I'm not overly hung up on the placement, and here's why:
  • Everything is more or less 4" or more from one another. I kind of like the idea of a wild garden and letting everything sort itself out as it grows with a little help.
  • I'm looking forward to having the ability to frag to share and to trade.
  • Colonies can come off the rock, even when encrusted, and relocated with reef putty and glue. What encrustment is left can be covered or scraped, so it isn't necessarily a permanent thing.
  • A lot of my frags are actually on a small rock or putty ball so I can move them if needed.
  • I did a lot of planning before placement: Plating acros are under branching acros or placed to create future ledges/shelves. Large, fast growers were placed high and behind. The direction of the lighting was considered. Acros that I knew would need to be fragged often are placed on removable rocks.
What I did wrong:
  • Encrusting montis. I was warned; did it anyway. My Jedi Mind Trick is on a piece of base rock and it is already a problem.
  • Not letting frags at least start to develop axial coralites before placing. I had "the perfect spot" for some frags and mounted them before seeing if they even would take off on a frag rack. I've got some wasted real estate that I used up on duds.
Besides, if the tank in the picture below worked, I can make my slightly crowded placement work for sure! :eek::D

Trusheim-Main-Front.jpg
Yup. If that tank worked...we have nothing to worry about.

Heck last year I was crying I had to keep replacing dead frags....so a few overlaps on healthy growing colonies is a positive pain I can't wait to experience.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB : Here's an image of the right side of the tank looking down somewhat distorted because I'm shooting at an angle through the glass. They are close, but not right on top of one another. And some are at different elevations that the top pic is having a hard time showing.

A few will be a problem - that Garf Bonsai spread out way more than I thought and is affecting the sarmentosa to it's below right; however the sarmentosa is growing away from the rock while the Garf is going vertical. The WWC Yellow Tip next to the green slimer in the rear will probably eventually be an issue. We'll see. The Red Dragon needs to be relocated for sure.

If you didn't have to make changes every once in a while it would be boring, right? :)

gXCdyBul.jpg

OrzyCWGl.jpg
It's hard to judge distance from a photo. You certainly have thing spread but good abundant selection.

Looks great now. Will only get better.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Encrusting montis. I was warned; did it anyway. My Jedi Mind Trick is on a piece of base rock and it is already a problem.
  • Not letting frags at least start to develop axial coralites before placing. I had "the perfect spot" for some frags and mounted them before seeing if they even would take off on a frag rack. I've got some wasted real estate that I used up on duds.
Tell me more about the Encrusting Monti problems. Some are already encrusted and plating like my Pink Mystic and Sunset (too late, but contained).
The Beach Bum (type) monti is contained to a movable rock and quite nice if it ever got bigger. It's a keeper and grows super slow.
My "JF Party Crasher" is so nice that if it covered my whole rockscape it would be Amazing (also slow grower so far)

I have a few others that are still contained to Plugs. Like Aquaman, and Superman, ChristmasPresent. Should I remove them and just place in Frag Tank for Amusement....Sale/trade?

BEFORE IT's TOO LATE?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me more about the Encrusting Monti problems. Some are already encrusted and plating like my Pink Mystic and Sunset (too late, but contained).
The Beach Bum (type) monti is contained to a movable rock and quite nice if it ever got bigger. It's a keeper and grows super slow.
My "JF Party Crasher" is so nice that if it covered my whole rockscape it would be Amazing (also slow grower so far)

I have a few others that are still contained to Plugs. Like Aquaman, and Superman, ChristmasPresent. Should I remove them and just place in Frag Tank for Amusement....Sale/trade?

BEFORE IT's TOO LATE?

They do what they do best - cover rock. And they will continue to try to increase their surface area as long as there is light and something to grow on. Unlike an acro, you can't just trim them back or mount them on a movable rock to relocate them.

I really appreciate them for their aesthetics and am glad I have them, but I didn't have the foresight to realize that little 1.5" piece was going to become 8" and it wasn't stopping there. :) I put mine on a piece of supporting base rock and have no good way to stop it. I think if you plan the fast growers for an isolated island or separate rock you'll be better off. The slower ones are probably not as much of a concern.

My example: Jedi Mind Trick. Look at this cute little bugger when I first attached it only eleven months ago:

AlXOTW2l.jpg

Now. . . :eek:

vPByURTl.jpg

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do what they do best - cover rock. And they will continue to try to increase their surface area as long as there is light and something to grow on. Unlike an acro, you can't just trim them back or mount them on a movable rock to relocate them.

I really appreciate them for their aesthetics and am glad I have them, but I didn't have the foresight to realize that little 1.5" piece was going to become 8" and it wasn't stopping there. :) I put mine on a piece of supporting base rock and have no good way to stop it. I think if you plan the fast growers for an isolated island or separate rock you'll be better off. The slower ones are probably not as much of a concern.

My example: Jedi Mind Trick. Look at this cute little bugger when I first attached it only eleven months ago:

AlXOTW2l.jpg

Now. . . :eek:

vPByURTl.jpg
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful Monti, but WOW it got big.

Yours is at bottom, so not too bad.

But you just convinced me to MOVE TWO Monti's on PLUG that are at Top and in Premium space

2019-01-05_MontiMove.jpg

Things are crammed enough (acro's can be moved later)....... but Two Encrusting Monti's have to go!!

THANKS FOR THE IN-ADVANCE...Warning.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another oddity: WWC Yellow Tips

Uuq0hejl.jpg

I love the symmetry on the Base, and the straight Column going up......in the Last SPS photo.

Looks like a slow motion OF A ROCKET TAKING OFF, with the Plumes of Smoke Curling behind it.

Nice Colors too!!

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree Red Dragon. I love the delicacy and simplicity of this coral. I know it's a PIA when it gets larger, but I am very much enjoying it now.

U5U5blph.jpg

He SB, gorgeous coral.
How can this become a PITA?
I would not mind a tank with only this coral blooming everywhere.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He SB, gorgeous coral.
How can this become a PITA?
I would not mind a tank with only this coral blooming everywhere.

I'm not really complaining! :) But it does grow like a weed and can really get too big. I'll borrow a shot of one in gig 'em's tank as an example, and this is after he was recovering from some issues:

c1376bde4de1a09cca7dfb2c808771e7.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really complaining! :) But it does grow like a weed and can really get too big. I'll borrow a shot of one in gig 'em's tank as an example, and this is after he was recovering from some issues:

I see what you mean.
That tank has a lot of pest corals... ;Woot;Woot;Woot

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha, yes it was a fast grower. Unfortunately it largely no longer exists. My tank has been on a roller coaster from some unidentified cause and I lost 99% of it last month. All that’s left now is a branch that was lower on the colony [emoji22]

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes it was a fast grower. Unfortunately it largely no longer exists. My tank has been on a roller coaster from some unidentified cause and I lost 99% of it last month. All that’s left now is a branch that was lower on the colony [emoji22]

Well, give it three months. . . :p

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree Red Dragon. I love the delicacy and simplicity of this coral. I know it's a PIA when it gets larger, but I am very much enjoying it now.

U5U5blph.jpg
One of my Favourites from the Deep Water SPS.
I have both the Red & Purple type.

They grow medium-slow for me which is fine.

And who cares if they get too big. They are easy to frag and trim to your liking.
Yours looks great now (Color & Shape), and I see perfect clusters you can trim, when it gets too big.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back