OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched my phosphates climb for the last month from .012 to .092 and I haven't been able to come up with an explanation for why. I'm seeing hair algae growing between and around the edges of the rocks at an alarming rate. Relunctantly, I am starting back up my GFO reactor, which I haven't had on the system for half a year.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move my Fraghouse Corals Do-Si-Doe to take a frag from another colony and it ended up close to the glass. Opportunity to take a quick pic! :) I actually "thought" I had sold this as a frag to someone, after having decided not to keep it. I don't know what the heck I ended up giving that person, but I ended up with the wrong one.

NMNvTm3l.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? I have a myagi tort and the growth is laughably slow.

Well, we are right at a year now. About four-five months ago I bought a second frag from the same colony and glued it up with the original just to get a little mass since I'm trying to make this a highlighted piece in the tank. A switch seems to have finally turned on and the two of them have joined and started showing some movement.

Here's the original frag in the upper left of the group:

UFuO9g9l.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we are right at a year now. About four-five months ago I bought a second frag from the same colony and glued it up with the original just to get a little mass since I'm trying to make this a highlighted piece in the tank. A switch seems to have finally turned on and the two of them have joined and started showing some movement.

Here's the original frag in the upper left of the group:

UFuO9g9l.jpg

Cool! Yours seems to be growing better than mine. Perhaps the addition of the extra frag somehow made it achieve critical thicknesses (or something) to start pushing some growth.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are clean looking! Question...where did you get those little fittings for the pump wires...and the brush edges? I built screen tops with the BRS do-it-yourself kits and am in the process of redoing them since the gaps are too big and my flame wrasse still finds ways to jump out.

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually spend a minute or two and browse through a build thread that I haven't seen before... Rarely do I do what I just did and spend an hour and a half combing thru one. This is an awesome tank and setup my friend.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are clean looking! Question...where did you get those little fittings for the pump wires...and the brush edges? I built screen tops with the BRS do-it-yourself kits and am in the process of redoing them since the gaps are too big and my flame wrasse still finds ways to jump out.

I was having the same problem. The wire thru-ways are 3-d printed by a guy here in San Antonio and sold by a LFS. The brush is actually a soft-bristled aluminum door sweep.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually spend a minute or two and browse through a build thread that I haven't seen before... Rarely do I do what I just did and spend an hour and a half combing thru one. This is an awesome tank and setup my friend.

Made my day - thanks! It's been a journey!

PS - I won't even razz you about being a Tennessee fan (Gator here) :p

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own screen tops since my plumbing prevents me from using manufactured and custom tops are ridiculously priced. I made them a little different than what we typically see with the available kits. I thought they came out pretty well.

T5QrCR0l.jpg

xbPGVy3l.jpg

x0qHftTl.jpg

yJVeZNXl.jpg

DzJHUMal.jpg

2cYIUOtl.jpg

GeGT2khl.jpg
Love the DIY screen.
I want to make one too since, I have some custom shaping I need to deal with. Also want a multipiece one like you did.
So what did you use for the Edging Frame? How did you join corners? and How did you attach screen?
I got a couple of Firefish in QT, so a better Net TOP is a must!!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the DIY screen.
I want to make one too since, I have some custom shaping I need to deal with. Also want a multipiece one like you did.
So what did you use for the Edging Frame? How did you join corners? and How did you attach screen?
I got a couple of Firefish in QT, so a better Net TOP is a must!!

Hey Wally, hope all is well. So the frame is standard 3/8 by 3/4 screen frame that you can get at Home Depot. Instead of using the plastic 90 degree miter corners, I bought internal aluminum corners off eBay which allowed me to do much cleaner 45 degree cuts and tighter turns. I used super glue to strengthen the joint. The netting is from BRS and it is held in by a standard screen spline sized to fit. Not hard, but it helps to have done a little woodworking or other projects where you have a little experience cutting miter joints.

The brush material that I'm using to follow the contour of the return pipes are really soft-bristled aluminum door sweeps.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wally, hope all is well. So the frame is standard 3/8 by 3/4 screen frame that you can get at Home Depot. Instead of using the plastic 90 degree miter corners, I bought internal aluminum corners off eBay which allowed me to do much cleaner 45 degree cuts and tighter turns. I used super glue to strengthen the joint. The netting is from BRS and it is held in by a standard screen spline sized to fit. Not hard, but it helps to have done a little woodworking or other projects where you have a little experience cutting miter joints.

The brush material that I'm using to follow the contour of the return pipes are really soft-bristled aluminum door sweeps.
Thanks.
Your frame because it's black, made me think you found some kind of ridged plastic, or fibreglass.
So I guess using Metal is ok (since the top of my tank does get mist/salt creep coating)? Aluminum is obviously immune to corrosion, so probably ok (since it's not like water off it drip back into Tank).
Pretty simple if just screen frame. I already have enough of the clear nylon aquarium netting, but I just kind of bungee cord wrap around tank corners. (Works but not perfect).

I see now looking again, you have your frame PERFECTLY fitting into the Tank Rim. Nice. I can't do that since I have a Glass Euro Top (so Frame will sit on top).

What I've be trying to build but haven't found a way, is a screen that is on a spring loaded blind roller. Just like blinds on a window, but you pull horizontally across tank top (Thin roller mounted on wall).
Was looking for a roller tube/mechanism and then use the netting (somehow).
Probably impossible to do, so your way should work for me.

Nice craftsmanship on your project. I bet those 90 degree turns which you had to re-enforce were a bit of a challenge (to keep Screen tight)
I see you got Cable guards,
and openings for a Feeder portal (Is there a safeguard in there? My fish (of the Past), targeted any opening to find their way to the DRY FLOOR :( ).

AND WOW. I first looked at your CORNER Pieces on Ebay, thought $27 is insane for one or 4, but it's for a pack of 100 (much better).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back