Silicone question

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought one those "Fijicube AIO DIY" kits found here and the thing floats. The magnet that came with it isn't strong enough to hold it in place, and the clamps, well let's just say they're worthless (the screws aren't even long enough to reach the glass on both sides). So I had BRS thick super glue, and aquarium silicone on hand. I figured with how easy it is to actually get the BRS glue to come off of frags/rocks that with either the weight of the box or the pressure trying to float would just overcome it. So I used the silicone, my question is how long should I let this cure for? The silicone is not actually for any tank integrity or keeping anything from leaking, it's literally just being used as an adhesive basically. Would 24 hours be long enough ya think?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honestly i would wait 48 let fully cure :)

MarineVet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used parts siliconed in as little as one hour for non sealing/load bearing applications. I would recommend longer than that but you should be fine in say 4 hours or so. From memory, my skimmer went a little nuts so empty beforehand and clean

OP
OP
Trylobyte

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used parts siliconed in as little as one hour for non sealing/load bearing applications. I would recommend longer than that but you should be fine in say 4 hours or so. From memory, my skimmer went a little nuts so empty beforehand and clean

Sweet I was just hoping I didn't have to wait 7 days. It's been over 24 hours now (closer to 36) so I think I am gonna go ahead and do the transfer!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back