Silicone Seal Concerns

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have recently set up a 75 gallon aquarium and one of the silicone seals appears to have algae growing underneath it in a few spots. The tank has only been set up for three months and was never previously set up so it is almost brand new. I do not want to name the brand in case it can reflect poorly on them as I am currently in contact with them. Is this something that I should be concerned with because I am currently nervous about these seeming weaknesses in the silicone seal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

IMG_3065.jpg IMG_3066.jpg IMG_3067.jpg IMG_3068.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Looks like an air bubble that waters now getting into. I would strip the tank down clean the seams with alcohol and reseal. That's a fair amount of work though. And it takes practice to do right.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inner filet of silicone is just "window dressing"(no structural adhesion). As long as the silicone between the panes is ok, then your fine. I doubt the manufacturer is going to do anything.

All my tanks eventually have grown algae on the silicone, and in removing it, I have massacred the "window dressing", but the structural between the pane silicone is just fine.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inner filet of silicone is just "window dressing"(no structural adhesion). As long as the silicone between the panes is ok, then your fine. I doubt the manufacturer is going to do anything.

All my tanks eventually have grown algae on the silicone, and in removing it, I have massacred the "window dressing", but the structural between the pane silicone is just fine.
Thank you, the silicone between the panes seems to be good, so hopefully that will prevent anything too major.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Looks like an air bubble that waters now getting into. I would strip the tank down clean the seams with alcohol and reseal. That's a fair amount of work though. And it takes practice to do right.
Thank you, it’s certainly frustrating to deal with on a brand new tank. I am hoping I can avoid resealing, but if I have to I’ve done it once with solid success, but I’d also have to re-plumb it and figure out a situation to hold the livestock.
Hello everyone,

I have recently set up a 75 gallon aquarium and one of the silicone seals appears to have algae growing underneath it in a few spots. The tank has only been set up for three months and was never previously set up so it is almost brand new. I do not want to name the brand in case it can reflect poorly on them as I am currently in contact with them. Is this something that I should be concerned with because I am currently nervous about these seeming weaknesses in the silicone seal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

IMG_3065.jpg IMG_3066.jpg IMG_3067.jpg IMG_3068.jpg
The manufacturer has simply sent a picture of a large bubble under a seal and says if it doesn't look like this it will be fine. I told him how disappointing it is for a tank that is only three months old to have any issues with the seal at all. Unfortunately this is not a Red Sea or Waterbox tank who stand by their products with their warranty.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back