silt versus a fish's gills ??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so , do You think silty water irritated a fish's gills? I started stirring up a relatively new sand bed as I starting to see "little" HA ( I hate this stuff) on the surface . I didn't rinse the sand before putting it in the tank . I did about a 1/3 of it & the water silted up some what. I have always had issues with Ha growing on the sand beds in the past. I'm trying to stir up the stuff that feeds it. As before I end up siphoning a bunch of sand with said HA & end up with very shallow sand beds !
any sand sifting critters You want to refer? Thanks

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so , do You think silty water irritated a fish's gills? I started stirring up a relatively new sand bed as I starting to see "little" HA ( I hate this stuff) on the surface . I didn't rinse the sand before putting it in the tank . I did about a 1/3 of it & the water silted up some what. I have always had issues with Ha growing on the sand beds in the past. I'm trying to stir up the stuff that feeds it. As before I end up siphoning a bunch of sand with said HA & end up with very shallow sand beds !
any sand sifting critters You want to refer? Thanks
I had really bad cyanobacteria on my sandbed, diamond goby cleaned it in one day:)

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , These fish get pretty big don't they? That's no prob really. This is a 180 FO tank. so Fish that will seriously stir things up would be good. Only if they don't "need" the algae to survive. as there isn't that much. YET!
Time for some research.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , These fish get pretty big don't they? That's no prob really. This is a 180 FO tank. so Fish that will seriously stir things up would be good. Only if they don't "need" the algae to survive. as there isn't that much. YET!
Time for some research.
They don't get _that_ big, they get a few inches but can be kept in pretty small tanks.
And yeah, they will eat other food besides algae:)

Back