OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the weather eases a bit on my end, happy to ship you some frags.

I ran the damsels through QT and mostly added them as three groups of 20 odd.

I think my comment was something like 'space helps, but if two fish decide they hate each other no amount of tank volume will prevent them from trying to kill one another'. Probably said it more eloquently LOL.

Once I get my sons through college I am going to retire and build myself a stupidly huge tank .... something like 1,600 gallons. Perhaps that will be big enough ......

U

User1

View Badges
When the weather eases a bit on my end, happy to ship you some frags.

I ran the damsels through QT and mostly added them as three groups of 20 odd.

I think my comment was something like 'space helps, but if two fish decide they hate each other no amount of tank volume will prevent them from trying to kill one another'. Probably said it more eloquently LOL.

Once I get my sons through college I am going to retire and build myself a stupidly huge tank .... something like 1,600 gallons. Perhaps that will be big enough ......

Lol - think of the number of damsels in that monster :)

Side note - still have one in college (covid isn't helping any) but my daughter just finished last week. So one more to go.

Edit: forgot to say thanks btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 an update for how that damsel intro goes would be great. Also a FTS placed in my thread would be great!

Hey young lady. I will let you know how it goes. They are in transport now and should be here tomorrow morning. Already have the bath ready for them :)

As for the photo let me see. My tank is a wreck at the moment full of cyno and a few pieces of SPS that are going through a bleaching or RTN or something or other. Not sure but will take a photo never the less because, well, it is what it is :) It will pass.

U

User1

View Badges
Had to google it ..... don’t recall ever having had one. Looks pretty cool. Agree that most chrysiptera are mellow (ish). Blue devil the notable exception.

So the Surge damsel - interesting fish. Jumper. That or just getting used to my display. After the freshwater dip with methylene blue which lasted about 8 minutes he/she jumped out of the 5 gallon bucket (half full so he/she got some air and hang time). I caught it (I stay near with timer to observe) and then proceeded to place into the display. Jumped a few more times and is now roaming the tank. All of it.

Open water, rocks, up and over the gyres, eating mysis, pellet, and lrs reef frenzy. Color is mostly brown with verticle white stripes or markings. Upper half of body along back and fins is a sapphire blue that sparkles. I have no idea if it gets its name but wondering if it is found in the shallows atop the reef crest - hence surge.

The seven sapphire damsels are also in which paired up in a group of 4 and 3 oddly enough. Mixed sizes for BIOTA's captive bred. Few pretty small with 3 large. Bit bigger than my Azure which is 9 years old.

In any case the surge could be something to look at later. I am impressed so far but wondering if the color will turn dull or more common as it ages. Right now though pretty neat. I'm a ways off your numbers but have to say I like the movement in the tank. Will be interesting where they end up at night and then hang out in the morning.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures .....

file1-21.jpeg
file2-9.jpeg
file-73.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a joke in a video a few years ago about my $25 yellow tang beating on a $500 gem tang. Final trickle of wild caught yellows on DD are $550. How’s that for irony. My $500 gem better not get cross eyed at my $550 yellow.

3” Achilles ain’t going anywhere close to the display. God knows how much they’ll be .... if you can even find one.

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve moved my YT up the pecking order now she’s Queen of the tank!!

Attachments

• F504F27B-53CE-4F9C-A9EC-E705C6AD4D7B.jpeg
    F504F27B-53CE-4F9C-A9EC-E705C6AD4D7B.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 90

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1,600 gallon tank? That would be at least decades away from me haha. If I had a tank like that I would be flowing with joy.

And it’s really heartwarming to know you’re there for your kids when they’re in college. I’d definitely be the same when I have kids someday.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium.

Have a few random questions if you dont mind. I am in the process of building a 450 gallon acrylic tank with the dimensions of 72"x48"x30". Are you happy you went acrylic? are the scratches/ scratch prevention manageable? Also, do you think i can safely get away with a wood stand for my tank?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium.

Have a few random questions if you dont mind. I am in the process of building a 450 gallon acrylic tank with the dimensions of 72"x48"x30". Are you happy you went acrylic? are the scratches/ scratch prevention manageable? Also, do you think i can safely get away with a wood stand for my tank?

Acrylic tanks do scratch really easily, so you have to be careful. I spent silly $$ on a top quality magnet cleaner and set up my lights to minimize algae growth on the front panel. Even so, there are a few minor scratches but its been up for more than 3 years :). You can buff them out of course. Mostly the pros of acrylic have outweighed the cons for me.

Wood stand should be fine, that's what I did. Go back and look at the fist couple of pages of this thread and you will see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back