Sixline with shrimp

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anyone who have kept a cleaner shrimp with a wrasse ? He’s not aggressive towards other fish in the tank the clowns and goby chase him away .

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few flatworms starting to show up. I was thinking of getting a 6 line wrasse, but was concerned about the same thing, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Also heard they eat feather dusters and snails. True?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Peppermint Shrimp and a Coral Banded Shrimp with my Six-line and Melanurus. No issues at all.
No issues with the 6 and the melanarus?

I made the mistake of adding a six line early. I would love to have more wrasses but always read of the horrors of the six line.

Mine currently is peaceful and doesn't bother anyone in the tank

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few flatworms starting to show up. I was thinking of getting a 6 line wrasse, but was concerned about the same thing, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Also heard they eat feather dusters and snails. True?
I have a feather duster with the 6 line and it hasn't bothered it.

Ichthus1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine will not allow another wrasse in the tank. I added a red headed solar fairy wrasse one time. It got chased into the rocks, and trapped there, by the six line. It only lived two days. It will only bother snails if they are on the sand upside down. I never had an issue with it bothering feather dusters in my other tank.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I made the mistake of adding a six line early. I would love to have more wrasses but always read of the horrors of the six line.

I did the same.. lol. I was told by LFS sixlines were fine and honestly it mostly has been. but you read the horror stories on here, especially the ones that talk about how they get a lot worse with time. The only aggression I've seen from it was some chasing of a cleaner wrasse I tried (bad idea all around) and it chased my springer damsel one day, several circuits around the tank, but they've been fine after that.

but yeah, if I could go back and not add a sixline, I would. melanarus and christmas wrasse look a lot prettier and don't seem to have the massive negatives associated with them. although my CUC probably wouldn't love those two.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same.. lol. I was told by LFS sixlines were fine and honestly it mostly has been. but you read the horror stories on here, especially the ones that talk about how they get a lot worse with time. The only aggression I've seen from it was some chasing of a cleaner wrasse I tried (bad idea all around) and it chased my springer damsel one day, several circuits around the tank, but they've been fine after that.

but yeah, if I could go back and not add a sixline, I would. melanarus and christmas wrasse look a lot prettier and don't seem to have the massive negatives associated with them. although my CUC probably wouldn't love those two.
Ya I'm totally on the fence. I do really like the six line but I have the fear of him losing his mind one day as is well documented by many. I'm considering a fish trap but they may be a huge waste of time

Bpain05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Wrasse get along great. My fish show no aggression toward each other. I have a Purple Tang, Clown and the two Wrasse.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anyone who have kept a cleaner shrimp with a wrasse ? He’s not aggressive towards other fish in the tank the clowns and goby chase him away .

Give it time, it will likely chase or kill the others. The problem with sixlines is that they are often considered to be "a ticking time bomb" where they are perfectly fine when younger, and then hit sexual maturity and go on killing sprees (including inverts).

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm totally on the fence. I do really like the six line but I have the fear of him losing his mind one day as is well documented by many. I'm considering a fish trap but they may be a huge waste of time

Fish traps are well worth the money (or effort if you do a home made one), BUT I agree it's poor planning to simply buy a fish with the idea that you can trap it if it goes wrong. Traps are incredibly useful but they aren't 100% and the 6 line is small and quick.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Halichoeres Wrasses definitely find CUC tasty. I have a juvie Melanurus and it periodically picks off snails and hermits.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time, it will likely chase or kill the others. The problem with sixlines is that they are often considered to be "a ticking time bomb" where they are perfectly fine when younger, and then hit sexual maturity and go on killing sprees (including inverts).
I’ve had him for 6 months now , he’s not a baby

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish traps are well worth the money (or effort if you do a home made one), BUT I agree it's poor planning to simply buy a fish with the idea that you can trap it if it goes wrong. Traps are incredibly useful but they aren't 100% and the 6 line is small and quick.
I agree. I wouldn't intentionally buy a fish just to remove it later. I am very fond of the six line and for now he is peaceful and entertaining but if he is young to terrorize other fish down the road it's not worth it.

Right now he is harmonious with the firefish, clowns, black cap basslet, flame hawk and lawnmower.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back