Sixline wrasse tank mate recommendations

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline wrasse in an im 25 lagoon and I want to add another fish that won't be bullied. I was thinking a flame hawkish or maroon clown maybe? Anyone have any recommendations?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a small sixline, you may be able to add whatever you want as long as it's bigger. I'm not on board with the all six lines are demons, I've personally never had issues with them. I buy them small like 1-1 1/2".But I have had issues with aggressive fairy wrasse.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a small sixline, you may be able to add whatever you want as long as it's bigger. I'm not on board with the all six lines are demons, I've personally never had issues with them. I buy them small like 1-1 1/2".But I have had issues with aggressive fairy wrasse.

I agree with you. I think six lines get a bad rap. Mine is the most model citizen in my tank and he was the first to go in, just because he was the first I could catch when I did my tank transfer. I have 2 tomato clowns, a yellow tang (who is the bully) a powder brown tang (who keeps the yellow in line) 2 mandarins, a copperband butterfly (who was the last to go in) and a couple of chromis. The yellow picks on the copperband occaisionally but fortunately the coppeband out swims the yellow. The sixline just wants to be included in the social activities and swims right along with all the others, never being mean or aggressive.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps with your much larger tank, (based on all the tangs you have), the sixline aggression is muted. However, the OP is running an IM25, a drastically smaller tank where territory is limited. In my BC29, my 1.5" sixline started out as a model citizen and then devolved into the devil incarnate. Luckily, while I was doing water parameter tests, he tried to go carpet surfing... back to the LFS he went. I was very fortunate not to have to dismantle my tank to get him out.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to catch the sixline (a pain, I know) and put him in a social acclimation box before adding another inhabitant, that would be your best bet.
I
If you're able to catch the sixline (a pain, I know) and put him in a social acclimation box before adding another inhabitant, that would be your best bet.
I made the mistake of adding the sixline first. So he thinks the whole tank is his.

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's in first then any fish that is bigger than him he'll only punk fish his size and smaller...usually

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's in first then any fish that is bigger than him he'll only punk fish his size and smaller...usually
Not always true. I've had sixlines go after newly added tangs and angels, other wrasses larger than them, anthias larger than them, basslets larger than them, and tilefish larger than themselves.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 6 lines for years never had a bad one. Luck? I don't believe so. I believe the secret is to keep them in pairs. My current pair are model citizens and bother none of my other small fish like my 4 Royal grammas, stary damsels clowns etc etc.

Zak Duncan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line that got along fine with my pair of clowns. Keep in mind the clowns were there first. Any new addition after the six line was killed by that little monster. A bottle trap and quite a bit of patience earned him a trip back to the lfs. No problems with new additions after he'd been removed. So I guess it would seem adding a six line last would be a good recommendation. Unfortunately for you that he's already in there. They are a serious pain to catch. Good luck.

daniel0123456789

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pure evil. Got rid of a bristle worn problem, then started territorial, long story short it started creating figueres in the sand bed invoking satan. They never stopped killing, I had to sentence him to sell-row. But refused the right to an attorney and committed suicide by jumping out of the QT.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 52 fish in four systems... The only fish I've ever had kill another fish in any of my systems is a sixline killing a naoko wrasse. I have a maroon clown pair and a harem of spotcintus clowns (separate tanks), none of whom have ever managed to kill any other fish, despite their aggression. Even my carpet and ritteri anemones have never killed a fish (outside of one dying and nuking half the fish in that tank).

Zoolife xD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my six line wrasse, he isn't overly aggressive at all, he holds his own in a state down with an occelaris and a blue damsel, and he checks out the blue spotted sleeper goby added after him but has never shown aggression toward him. Maybe I won the wrasse lottery

cesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I had a six line and never did I notice any kind of aggression towards any tank mate. Had him for years until he decided to go carpet surfing.

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a six line in a 28 gallon AIO for over a year with two clown fish. Over the last few months I've added and removed a bicolor Blenny and than added a watchman goby. He could care less about the blenny and goby.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back