OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I was wondering about a fang blenny. So is there any aggressive fish I can put in there that will not get bullied, like a dottyback or something?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I was wondering about a fang blenny. So is there any aggressive fish I can put in there that will not get bullied, like a dottyback or something?
Dottybacks and sixlines often fight violently with each other.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a Kamohara blenny that's about the same size as the sixline maybe a tad bigger. So far the sixline acts tough but runs from the blenny if he looks at him.

Storagetech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse and a pygmy angel and they are the best buddies, always swimming around together, had an arabian neon dottyback in my tank and that fish tried to kill the pygmy so I had to trap it and took it back to the store, almost immediately the 2 buddies started to venture around the tank and picking at the little cridders, the pygmy seems none the worse for that experience and the 6 line seems content with his swimming mate again, they always are close together, one following the other, some will say Im lucky but I read other stories about the 6 line and pygmy angels that state the same behaviour.
Will also state the 6 line was first in the tank as most 6 line haters will state that causes aggressive behaviour since they are territorial but no issue, also have a banggai cardinal that neither will mess with so just giving you something to look and and research ! They make a great pair for me.

beau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be one of those odd six line success stories. I started a 29 gallon reef about 8 years ago with one and a pair of clowns. Eventually I added a Midas blenny and a firefish. A year ago I upgraded and now he is with a pair of firefish, the original pair of clowns, the original Midas blenny, a flame angel, 5 Chromis, a purple dottyback and a yellow clown goby. He’s never picked on anyone and aside from some occasional fin flaring, he has been a model tankmate for 8 years. Glad I got a good one but he’s been great.

BM7325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. I think six lines get a bad rap. Mine is the most model citizen in my tank and he was the first to go in, just because he was the first I could catch when I did my tank transfer. I have 2 tomato clowns, a yellow tang (who is the bully) a powder brown tang (who keeps the yellow in line) 2 mandarins, a copperband butterfly (who was the last to go in) and a couple of chromis. The yellow picks on the copperband occaisionally but fortunately the coppeband out swims the yellow. The sixline just wants to be included in the social activities and swims right along with all the others, never being mean or aggressive.
Same.my six line is like a therapist to a nervous Bengali.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse and a pygmy angel and they are the best buddies, always swimming around together, had an arabian neon dottyback in my tank and that fish tried to kill the pygmy so I had to trap it and took it back to the store, almost immediately the 2 buddies started to venture around the tank and picking at the little cridders, the pygmy seems none the worse for that experience and the 6 line seems content with his swimming mate again, they always are close together, one following the other, some will say Im lucky but I read other stories about the 6 line and pygmy angels that state the same behaviour.
Will also state the 6 line was first in the tank as most 6 line haters will state that causes aggressive behaviour since they are territorial but no issue, also have a banggai cardinal that neither will mess with so just giving you something to look and and research ! They make a great pair for me.
Never heard of six lines causing problems back in my hay day.. I currently have one in my 60gal cube and he’s best friends with my coral beauty! They swim together all day haha! And my six line doesn’t bother my baby storm clowns or chalk bass.. everyone gets along great!

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think a poll should be started on six lines experiences.

I’ve owned 5 over the years and never had a single negative experience. It’s a fish I always say I’d have in every reef tank, for their flatworm eating skills. But I’ve always kept them in large aquariums which probably reduces chances of territorial aggression.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think a poll should be started on six lines experiences.

I’ve owned 5 over the years and never had a single negative experience. It’s a fish I always say I’d have in every reef tank, for their flatworm eating skills. But I’ve always kept them in large aquariums which probably reduces chances of territorial aggression.
Mine is full grown about 2” and came with my tank.. I just added some baby clowns and he could care less.. I have a 60gal on cube. Not sure when these guys got such a bad wrap! I was seeing if they’re compatible with a yellow corrise and stumbled across this thread lol..

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juveniles are peaceful. As adults they get territorial. Since they are constantly scavenging for live food throughout the entire tank, the entire tank becomes their territory. You will see aggression with fish the same size or less. Some will survive with damaged fins and most will die from strees. Beginner aquarists don't want to hear no, so they end up gaining experience the hard way and not easily taking advice from the experienced.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juveniles are peaceful. As adults they get territorial. Since they are constantly scavenging for live food throughout the entire tank, the entire tank becomes their territory. You will see aggression with fish the same size or less. Some will survive with damaged fins and most will die from strees. Beginner aquarists don't want to hear no, so they end up gaining experience the hard way and not easily taking advice from the experienced.
This. Although now we have alternatives such as Pseudocheilinops ataenia and Wetmorella species the Sixlines are still incredibly popular and many get them even though we warn them about the issues they can cause with other cave dwellers.

Back