Size for Return Pump

HouseofstoriedTails

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am in the process of making a 20 gallon sump for my new 75 gallon saltwater tank. What size of a return pump should I go with, and what are the contributing factors that determine the size? Brand-wise i am going to go with either ehiem or sicce.

Thank you

Also - for the tubing hooking up my overflow box with my return pump, what do you recommend?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the things that will contribute to what size return pump you should get would be;
1. Overflow size (GPH rating)
2. Head height (how far up the water will have to travel before it makes its way back to your display tank)
3. Your own personal goals, are you going to be running a bunch of reactors or running triton method ect..
I personally prefer the Sicce syncra pumps. Very quiet and never given me an issue in the time i've used them.
You can either PVC hard plumb your drain and return, otherwise rubber/vinyl tubing. Can you provide some pictures of your overflow and return setup?

OP
OP
H

HouseofstoriedTails

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the things that will contribute to what size return pump you should get would be;
1. Overflow size (GPH rating)
2. Head height (how far up the water will have to travel before it makes its way back to your display tank)
3. Your own personal goals, are you going to be running a bunch of reactors or running triton method ect..
I personally prefer the Sicce syncra pumps. Very quiet and never given me an issue in the time i've used them.
You can either PVC hard plumb your drain and return, otherwise rubber/vinyl tubing. Can you provide some pictures of your overflow and return setup?

--

1- I planned on going with this one - http://www.aquacave.com/eshopps-pf800-overflow-box-125-gal-tank-single.html - it works for 75-125 gallon tanks ( i felt that going with the overflow box would probably be best, if it doesn't make a difference then I may go to the size below this one that does 30-75 gallons in order to save a few bucks

2- it will have to travel upwards roughly 6 feet

3- I for sure want to go with the triton method. As for the photos of the setup, I don't have any yet. I am in the process of gathering supplies in order to start my design (although I do have an overall idea in my head based on sumps I have seen). It's tricky, because every piece of supplies I need to buy, relies on a different piece. if that makes sense.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of hang on overflow which can fail drill back, if not tempered, and install ghost overflow. Fail safe and dead silent

Can’t go wrong with eheim hobby pumps. Low heat, quiet, and last for decades. The 1260 would fit nicely

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--

1- I planned on going with this one - http://www.aquacave.com/eshopps-pf800-overflow-box-125-gal-tank-single.html - it works for 75-125 gallon tanks ( i felt that going with the overflow box would probably be best, if it doesn't make a difference then I may go to the size below this one that does 30-75 gallons in order to save a few bucks

2- it will have to travel upwards roughly 6 feet

3- I for sure want to go with the triton method. As for the photos of the setup, I don't have any yet. I am in the process of gathering supplies in order to start my design (although I do have an overall idea in my head based on sumps I have seen). It's tricky, because every piece of supplies I need to buy, relies on a different piece. if that makes sense.
The PF800 is rated for a maximum of 800 gallons per hour. Any chance you'd be interested in a drilled setup instead of hang on back? I know the one regret I had starting out was to not go drilled when I had the chance. I used the PF300 for a year and a half and then upgraded to a drilled tank and never looked back. For your 75 I'd do the Eshopps Eclipse M which is also rated for 800 gallons per hour. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3753+3757+4855+5036&pcatid=5036
Or the Eshopps Eclipse L which is rated for 1,000 GPH
(Better to have more than not enough :) )

It's more money than the PF800, but replacing a floor when it potentially fails is more expensive ;)
Anyway! Back to the subject at hand. If you're looking to do 10X turnover (which is what triton recommends) i'd look at this pump here:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-5-0-pump-1321-gph.html
At a head height of 6 feet, this pump would probably be more than enough. Nice thing is they're adjustable, so if wide open is to much, you can close the door on it to dial down the flow, or add a ball valve in your return line.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 75 about a week ago.
If you use a HOB overflow I strongly suggest you get the Eshoppes PF-1000 instead of the 800. I just fought with the 800 single drain and got tired of listening to it and installed the dual drain 1000 and it is silent.
I am running a Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post.... I setup my 75g mixed reef in a 3/4in tempered glass aquarium so I had to do a hang on overflow box,& drilled 2 holes so it had 3 altogether n did a bean style. It's been going strong for over a year now no problems, ninja quiet w/ 1465gph return running through it. I also made an acrylic lid for the box. Good Luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back