OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped Dino-X after 10 days as it seems to have done its job. Still a little bit of die off of some various algae, but otherwise it looks pretty clean. Started the UV and skimmer back up, did a small water change, cleaned the glass, etc.

Decided to take a quick FTS with my phone:
IMG_7537.jpeg

Still looking crowded even after selling a few hundred dollars of frags to a LFS the other day!

Going to take another batch once they heal up and are free of the recent chems.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery acro is looking a little brown after the recent Alk and Phosphate spike and dino-x round. That's also an accidental frag as I bumped it the other day.

IMG_7548.jpeg

Interesting specimen, just showed up one day, no idea where it came from, though currently growing like a weed. I must have gotten a polyp tag-along on something at some point. It is green on the flat areas, yellow in vertical and new growth, red/pink on the tips with red polyps (though the polyps are a bit brown right now, they should color back up)

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Not the best picture, I need to get a real camera...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex ATK ATO had been acting up recently, so I took out the sensors and found this:

IMG_7501.jpeg

It's not even a year old! That's scary. I took out the sensors, this one is shot, but the other one, while it still works is showing signs of rusting as well.

IMG_7502.jpeg IMG_7503.jpeg

I contacted Neptune, not sure if they'll do anything about it or not...will report back.
Neptune got back to me right away. I sent them the pics and they overnighted me new sensors. No problem at all!

I am very impressed. This is the kind of support I like to see!

IMG_7584.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread and the tank is looking good!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple new pieces that I got at last week's frag swap (under whites, I'll try to get a good blue pic...once I get a new light):

ARC Fireworks (closed up, I'll try to get a pic after feeding...again, once I get a new light)
IMG_7662.jpeg

JF Enchanted Forest Birds Nest:
IMG_7676.jpeg

Green Torch
IMG_7677.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, check this out...At the end of the day I have my Radions go to full blue for a bit before the go off for the night. Noticed the rainbow BTA was in full "rainbow" mode. Since the QT tank lights don't do this, the nem was always orange with a green body like in the pics above.

Tonight it was full on neon rainbow, wow! I quickly grabbed my phone and took a few pics. I had to adjust them a bit to get it as close to what I'm seeing as possible given the strong blue, but it really does look just about like this to the eye...

IMG_7778.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks, the rainbow has lost many of its bubbles. Hopefully that's just going through QT and lower light levels. I have been feeding it mysis with acro power twice a week, and gradually increasing the light intensity. I am hoping that after it settles in it might plump back up. It otherwise seems quite happy, it is already considerably bigger when it stretches out than it was and the clown seems to love it.

Here are a couple daylight pictures in orange color mode. Crazy how different it looks than at night under blues...
IMG_7872.jpeg
IMG_7910.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this mystery green monti or encrusting acro is impossible to photograph it's so bright green it washes out with any filter or setting. I'm going to have to experiment on the lighting, or filters to get a good image. It really is that blindingly bright green to the eye as well.

(And I believe that's a verminted snail sticking up out of it...going to have to super glue the tip of the tube or something...)
IMG_7897.jpeg
IMG_7898.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Bojangles is out today as well.
IMG_7893.jpeg

That hammer on the bottom in this image is bright yellow, but no amount of tweaking with filters or photo app can get it right...the other colors in the image are about right though.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying hard to get good pics of my mystery green/yellow/red/pink acro with my phone. The green is mostly on the flat parts, fading to yellow on vertical growth, with slightly pink tips. The polyps are a deep red/maroon color. It appears mostly red when feeding, but if startled, the polyps quickly retract and it flashes bright yellow/green. It is just bright green under blues.

I have no idea what it is, if it has a name, or even where I got it, but it's been growing like a weed for the last few months.
IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

Here are a couple pics of accidental frags, top down view with flow off.
IMG_7930.jpeg
IMG_7933.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is absolutely stuffed with frags...going to head to the LFS this week to unload:

IMG_7911.jpeg

IMG_7916.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

And boy that RFA in the back corner is getting huge. I got it a few years back about the size of the quarter, now it's probably 6-8". I'm a bit worried for the clowns, though they seem to know to stay away from it...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another couple pics of the green one. The rest of the images are a bit off, but you can see the polyps now at least...

IMG_7905.jpeg
IMG_7907.jpeg

And yeah, I think I'm going to have to deal with that snail in the center of it...and maybe several others now that I look closely...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, when looking at my unusually low pH, it occured to me that I haven't calibrated the Apex pH probe in like 2 or 3 years... (I know, right?) At that time, I have bought some bottles of calibration solution, planning on calibrating regularly.

So, a couple weeks ago I cleaned the probe by soaking it in a light vinegar solution for a few hours and then rinsing it. Then I calibrated it using the calibration solution that I had. When I was finished, I was amazed at how much higher it was reading. Then, later that day it kept climbing, 8.3, 8.4, then I started to question just how calibrated it was.

Here was the before and after:
pH - Calibration.png

I figured that old solution must be bad, so I ordered a new batch and calibrated again a few days later. Testing the new solution, and the old after the recalibration shows it was only reading about +.1 at 7 and +.3 at 10, so not too bad. However, I stupidly decided to clean the skimmer on the same day, so the pH dropped significantly, and it was hard to look at the before and after:
pH - Re-Calibration.png

But the cool part is a few days after that, when I put the skimmer back on, with the outside air intake connected. The daytime high wasn't much higher at about 8.17, but the nighttime lows were way higher at just below 8.0 rather than almost 7.75. So clearly the combination of skimmer air plus lower CO2 outside makes a measurable difference, and this is without a CO2 scrubber.
pH - Re-Calibration with Skimmer.png

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some slightly better pics of the two frags of my cool green, yellow, and red mystery acro. Still no idea what it is, but I'm liking the bright colors so far:
IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8073.jpeg

I'm going to need to move them down lower and use the tripod. Otherwise they are always blurry...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rainbow BTA is doing really well. In fact, since these pictures were taken last week, the bubbles have grown back even more!

IMG_7989.jpeg

They nearly went away after the QT, and then moving again to the DT, and finally, lowering the lights for the last few weeks to acclimate it and some other corals to the Radion XR30 Pros. I have been feeding large mysis shrimp with aminos regularly and it has almost doubled in size since I got it, and the colors are getting pretty bright.

IMG_8051.jpeg

Clown is loving it as well, won't let anyone else, including the glass scraper anywhere near it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%

Back