Skimmer for aeration only?

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use my skimmer to aerate only because I’m getting ready to start raising nutrients and fight some Dino’s with the “ugly treatment “.
I haven’t confirmed exact species yet but I’m working on that now.
my question is:
If I raise the collection cup or even remove it, can I just run the unit for aeration? Seems logical but I still wanted to ask.
I have a aquamaxx hob 1.5

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use my skimmer to aerate only because I’m getting ready to start raising nutrients and fight some Dino’s with the “ugly treatment “.
my question is:
If I raise the collection cup or even remove it, can I just run the unit for aeration? Seems logical but I still wanted to ask.
Yes, you can run it without the cup for aeration/gas exchange.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my question is:
Yes. Mine is run primarily for aeration. Leave the cup on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
my question is:
If your fighting dinos, you want to leave cup on to collect waste and flagellates and empty it daily

OP
OP
b breef

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fighting dinos, you want to leave cup on to collect waste and flagellates and empty it daily
I thought you would want skimmate collection off to raise nutrients And only remove wastes and toxins by means of GAC and filter floss with manual cleanings as needed. I don’t plan to dose no3 or po4. Going the natural route first to try and beat the Dino’s at first. I have Dino x in hand if I decide to nuke it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I thought you would want skimmate collection off to raise nutrients And only remove wastes and toxins by means of GAC and filter floss with manual cleanings as needed. I don’t plan to dose no3 or po4. Going the natural route first to try and beat the Dino’s at first. I have Dino x in hand if I decide to nuke it.
That comes after getting rid of Dino
Removing slimy waste and the flagellate is priority. I run at .02 phosphate and 4-5 on nitrate and Dino/cyano free

Back