Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you wanting the skimmer in the AIO chamber or a traditional hang on?

if you have room in the AIO chamber maybe an aquamaxx NF1 or even reef glass airstone skimmer would work pretty well.

if traditional hang on outside of the AIO chamber then i would look at the Aquamaxx Bullet 1 for low profile

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you wanting the skimmer in the AIO chamber or a traditional hang on?

if you have room in the AIO chamber maybe an aquamaxx NF1 or even reef glass airstone skimmer would work pretty well.

if traditional hang on outside of the AIO chamber then i would look at the Aquamaxx Bullet 1 for low profile
was thinking hang on - so thanks, will check it out

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimz sp187 skimmer. It will run for several hours, then stop with an E4 error message. Means pump ran dry. It is not out of the water. Any suggestions?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be controller or the thermal sensor in the pump. hard to say.

problem with those is the E4 error is very common. Skimz parts are gone from BRS and getting replacements will be a challenge. i would first search the quietpro 2.0DC pump and the controller separately and see what you find.

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Innovative Marine Fusion 20 AIO and am curious if anyone has had any experience with the

NuvoSkim DC AIO Protein Skimmer IM makes to fit in the Back chamber?

I have seen lots of bad reviews, but seems like many of them are actually for the older Ghost model.

Space is a challenge to keep it neat and contained within the footprint of the tank.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a few days i am having this really strange popping noise from my skimmer.
I have tried dissembling and cleaning it and i have also tried cleaning the airline tubing with very hot water to dissolve any salt buildup. Neither made any difference.

anyone know what it might be? Right now im stumped as to what to try.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of sounds like loud air draw. is there an air silencer on the skimmer?

if not, then check a few other things:

make sure the bearings at both ends of the impeller are in place. if one is missing then you can get magnet rattle which can scar the magnet and ultimately damage the pump.

check for very small snails in the impeller. if they get caught in there, they can throw the impeller out of balance a bit.

also check the magnet for any swelling and report back

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of sounds like loud air draw. is there an air silencer on the skimmer?

if not, then check a few other things:

make sure the bearings at both ends of the impeller are in place. if one is missing then you can get magnet rattle which can scar the magnet and ultimately damage the pump.

check for very small snails in the impeller. if they get caught in there, they can throw the impeller out of balance a bit.

also check the magnet for any swelling and report back
Thanks for the tips. I couldn’t figure out how to open the pump housing enough to get to the bushings so i have opened a support ticket to get this info

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
send me a pic of the pump and i can most likely help

looks like a jump skimmer (maxspect)
yep, that’s correct
7EB6F935-87C2-4BF4-8B15-4C0F4508BFF0.jpeg
DAE0BF91-572C-461D-B7DF-D242148CC116.jpeg
35721E60-AEDF-49EF-89ED-A37252CD0548.jpeg

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a new Aquamaxx DFC-80 in my sump yesterday. There was a good sale on BRS. I have heard good things about Aquamaxx and this was a DC skimmer. I expected much quieter for a DC pump. Will this getting better with time? It sounds almost like a vibration, almost like it is out of balance. If I turn it up to 100% it sounds like a plane about to take off. I am running about 75% and there is a very loud hum and again almost sounds like a vibration. It seems it has a new bubble plate because that didn't match the online pictures, the instructions or any of the videos I found online. Anyone have experience with this skimmer?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, that’s correct
7EB6F935-87C2-4BF4-8B15-4C0F4508BFF0.jpeg
DAE0BF91-572C-461D-B7DF-D242148CC116.jpeg
35721E60-AEDF-49EF-89ED-A37252CD0548.jpeg
thanks

pump body looks fine and no cracks. the ceramic bearing shaft looks fine too. does the primary needle wheel look free from snails, pin bends or missing pins like in the attached pic below? Also does the secondary stationary pin insert on the volute look bent up or missing and pins? check to see if the stationary pin inserts have any play or are loose. if they are, they may contribute to some rattling. If all looks fine then re-assemble and run the pump (only) in a bucket of salt water unattached from the skimmer to see if you hear anything that sounds off. you will hear a lot of air draw if you dont connect the silencer and that may mask any other noises you are looking for so if you can keep that connected.
1677073627692.png

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a new Aquamaxx DFC-80 in my sump yesterday. There was a good sale on BRS. I have heard good things about Aquamaxx and this was a DC skimmer. I expected much quieter for a DC pump. Will this getting better with time? It sounds almost like a vibration, almost like it is out of balance. If I turn it up to 100% it sounds like a plane about to take off. I am running about 75% and there is a very loud hum and again almost sounds like a vibration. It seems it has a new bubble plate because that didn't match the online pictures, the instructions or any of the videos I found online. Anyone have experience with this skimmer?
not normal for a DC to have a lot of vibration. i would completely disassemble the pump and BB plate, inspect everything, then snug up, re-assemble and report back;-)

if you need help breaking it in and tuning it let us know.

Last edited:

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not normal for a DC to have a lot of vibration. i would completely disassemble the pump and BB plate, inspect everything, then snug up, re-assemble and report back;-)

if you need help breaking it in and tuning it let us know.
Following this. I just installed one and having the same vibration. Also do you run it 24x7?

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this. I just installed one and having the same vibration. Also do you run it 24x7?
Is it the Aquamaxx? I am running 24/7 and have been for a couple of weeks. I am trying to get it settled in. With mine I have determined that the vibration and very loud screaming sound is from the gray piece on the intake side that attaches the Venturi to the pump. This seems a very poor design on mine. I have taken it apart 3 times and thoroughly cleaned it and reassembled. I have to loosely fit that piece and not let it fit all the way flush with the connection and it has been working fine now. The thing is that any slight movement and I will be right back in the middle of the mess. I have been traveling this week but will be back this coming week. This will help me make up my mind whether I keep or return this. The only thing I like about it so far is the price and the size and that it does have a DC pump. I run it at 85%. I was trying to hold out for the new Red Sea DC setup. I feel thought that is too big for my 200G2 and that is why I went with this unit. I haven't gotten the skim dialed in yet because I have been waiting to see if the sound would settle down.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the Aquamaxx? I am running 24/7 and have been for a couple of weeks. I am trying to get it settled in. With mine I have determined that the vibration and very loud screaming sound is from the gray piece on the intake side that attaches the Venturi to the pump. This seems a very poor design on mine. I have taken it apart 3 times and thoroughly cleaned it and reassembled. I have to loosely fit that piece and not let it fit all the way flush with the connection and it has been working fine now. The thing is that any slight movement and I will be right back in the middle of the mess. I have been traveling this week but will be back this coming week. This will help me make up my mind whether I keep or return this. The only thing I like about it so far is the price and the size and that it does have a DC pump. I run it at 85%. I was trying to hold out for the new Red Sea DC setup. I feel thought that is too big for my 200G2 and that is why I went with this unit. I haven't gotten the skim dialed in yet because I have been waiting to see if the sound would settle down.
Yes the dcf 80. Mine is skimming already I'm still messing with the adjustments. I have it set on like 96 or something. But it does vibrate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back