Skimmer Q&A Thread

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 70 gal display tank and 20gal sump, the nyos 160 seems to only to form up to the cup 40% of the time but then again i only got a yellow tang,2x blue chromis and a athahias(sp) fish.

Imo, if i would do it again, i go another brand. It looks pretty but too bubbly, bubbles galore in sump unless you have bubble trap. anytime of meds and it seems to be way overeating as in i ogtta lift by 15cm off ground. Its not the most quite.

Reef 450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm looking at HOB models but being a corner tank they all seem to be huge!! And kinda defeats the corner tank thing. Any help on an internal that will fit or a rear that won't protrude to much. Incase you didn't read my first post on this its for a 100 gallon acrylic AIO corner tank. Thank guys n gals. I will keep my fingers crossed!!

If you have 100gal I would recommend a hob reef octopus http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-...9XB5vhHbzqWKQyR_tBV9KQ0zjKwLgqFM75RoCPz3w_wcB and don't overload ur tank or get 2 bh1000 and go nuts

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question (not sure if it should be in here):

I have setup a second-hand Aquamedic T5000 4' skimmer a week ago and it's still not producing any foam head. Does anyone have any experience with this specific model?

General Info:
  • I do dose vinegar from time to time to keep my pH from sky rocketing (whole separate discussion) which in turn should increase skimmate production
  • I have it plumbed directly from my overflow box with a ball valve on the input and output so to control water level
  • It has the Aquamedic OR3500 re-circulating pump with needle wheel propeller installed
  • I have already tried playing with air bubble size using a water dripper valve but stopped doing that as manufacture recommends to not put any kind of restrictor on air vent
  • There is plenty of air in body but no foam what so ever
  • I did clean the skimmer when I got it as it was filthy (this way I know it was working) but with just water and a rag then let it dry for 3-4 weeks

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much hate for the Remora; I actually loved mine. Ran it on a 40g with a Mag 7 and it was a little work horse up until '09 when we moved.

On another note, Marine Depot has picked up Deltec so there is a major US player offering their skimmers (they have four models available right now) and hopefully replacement parts soon. I've been running an SC1350N which is for all intent and purpose, the SC1351 and absolutely love the skimmer. Now that we have a large distributor within the US, the major draw back -availability- to running a Deltec is hopefully a thing of the past.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question (not sure if it should be in here):

I have setup a second-hand Aquamedic T5000 4' skimmer a week ago and it's still not producing any foam head. Does anyone have any experience with this specific model?

General Info:
  • I do dose vinegar from time to time to keep my pH from sky rocketing (whole separate discussion) which in turn should increase skimmate production
  • I have it plumbed directly from my overflow box with a ball valve on the input and output so to control water level
  • It has the Aquamedic OR3500 re-circulating pump with needle wheel propeller installed
  • I have already tried playing with air bubble size using a water dripper valve but stopped doing that as manufacture recommends to not put any kind of restrictor on air vent
  • There is plenty of air in body but no foam what so ever
  • I did clean the skimmer when I got it as it was filthy (this way I know it was working) but with just water and a rag then let it dry for 3-4 weeks

If you haven't already, I would take it apart and put it back together one more time...especially the foamer pump. Make sure the air-intake port where the hose connects isn't clogged....sometimes they clog on the INSIDE where it's hard to see, to use a toothpick.

If it still doesn't work, then I'd have to guess your foamer impeller might be toast.

Have you measured the skimmer's output to know what your feed pump is actually doing?

Can you post a video of it running?

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the air-intake port where the hose connects isn't clogged....sometimes they clog on the INSIDE where it's hard to see, to use a toothpick.

This is definitely not the case as I had to replace it as it was leaking and even tried running it without air hose to make sure the hose is not clogged.

Can you post a video of it running?
Here you go:

Thanks a lot! :)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Now that is over-driven!! I ran the same pump on my EV-90....on paper only slightly bigger than the Remora. It was also a beast.
Think that was what was recommended back when I got it (Mag 3, 5, or 7) around 2000 or so.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely not the case as I had to replace it as it was leaking and even tried running it without air hose to make sure the hose is not clogged.

Here you go:

Thanks a lot! :)

Its just re breaking in, nothing to worry about. In a day or two or three.... it will start skimming again. I would lower the water level in it as it may overflow once the foam head kicks in.

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just re breaking in, nothing to worry about. In a day or two or three.... it will start skimming again. I would lower the water level in it as it may overflow once the foam head kicks in.

Thanks guys. Will definitely keep an eye out. Just out of curiosity, how did you figure it out? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I'm still new to saltwater and would like to learn

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Will definitely keep an eye out. Just out of curiosity, how did you figure it out? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I'm still new to saltwater and would like to learn

I have been probably ran over 75 different skimmers in the past 10+ yrs. Looking at your skimmer its full of air but the top is just popping like soda fizz. That tells me its just breaking in and it will eventually start skimming. When you have a skimmer breaking in its better to lower the water level in it because when it starts skimming it could overflow all over the place. Start low and raise as needed is kinda the advice I would give. Many things will make a skimmer break in or react by not skimming. New saltwater, new equipment(oils on it), food, additives, chemicals, glue's....etc. Some cause the foam head to go away, others cause the skimmer to overflow.

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been probably ran over 75 different skimmers in the past 10+ yrs. Looking at your skimmer its full of air but the top is just popping like soda fizz. That tells me its just breaking in and it will eventually start skimming. When you have a skimmer breaking in its better to lower the water level in it because when it starts skimming it could overflow all over the place. Start low and raise as needed is kinda the advice I would give. Many things will make a skimmer break in or react by not skimming. New saltwater, new equipment(oils on it), food, additives, chemicals, glue's....etc. Some cause the foam head to go away, others cause the skimmer to overflow.

Thank you so much, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. So glad to be part of this community :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to all...

If there was any lack of consistency in the bubbles down in the body, or overall bubble size was large then it might indicate something else.

As it is, it's looks exactly like a skimmer that's happily waiting for a bioload. :)

How new/old is the tank it's on?

Dylan Grech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to all...

If there was any lack of consistency in the bubbles down in the body, or overall bubble size was large then it might indicate something else.

As it is, it's looks exactly like a skimmer that's happily waiting for a bioload. :)

How new/old is the tank it's on?

Tank is almost 4 months old. Bio load is minimal due to many reasons but I'm sure there is potential for skimmate :)

2x Sapphire Damsel
2x Clown
4x Chromis Virdis (apple green damsel)
2x Torchus snail
1x Caulerpa refrugium

Next week hopefully will get a sand sifting gobby and if lfs get maybe even the blue tang.

Nh4 0, NO3 1ppm, PO4 0.3ppm

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Khh27 -- I haven't cleaned it since it was put into operation nearly a year ago. o_O . I'll clean it this weekend. I'm assuming I take her offline and just run her in a vinegar bath for a couple hours? What's the best method to clean a skimmer and not keep it offline for too long?
Hi isaacalves,
I have the Nyos Quantum 160 and love it. Yes, about every 2-3 months I completely disassemble the skimmer and give it a vinegar bath when it won't restart on its own and that solves the problem. Also, instead of blowing into the airline, pick the skimmer up just out of the water in the sump and it will start up again until you have time to clean it.

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the market for a new skimmer. I was going to go with a NYOS but I just saw the Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer and now I'm leaning in that direction only because it has all the bells and whistles that I'm looking for (overflow switch, DC pump, and Apex connectivity). Does any one have any experience with this skimmer?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the market for a new skimmer. I was going to go with a NYOS but I just saw the Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer and now I'm leaning in that direction only because it has all the bells and whistles that I'm looking for (overflow switch, DC pump, and Apex connectivity). Does any one have any experience with this skimmer?

Sorry I can't comment more specifically, but I can say generally that cones aren't efficient in terms of footprint and that seems like a lot of donero for the bells and whistles.

For $584, this seems like a heck of a deal by comparison, and with a modest footprint and short height. Although it admittedly lacks the Apex/etc features:
csm_9415.000_61d9501e68.jpg

Recommended for salt water aquariums up to
1,500 liters (400 USgal.).
Immersion depth from 100 to 200 mm
(4 to 8 in.) without setting.
Water flow rate: 900 l/h (238 USgal./h)
Air capacity: 1,000 l/h (264 USgal./h)
Energy consumption: 15 W, 230V/50Hz (15 W, 115V/60Hz)
Skimmer cup volume: 2 liters (.5 USgal.)
Dimensions of the skimmer cup including lid: ø215 x H.218 mm (8.46" x H. 8.58")
Dimensions (L x W x H): 350 x 300 x 440 mm (13.8 x 11.8 x 17.3 in.)
To be able to take off skimmer cup it must be raised by 71 mm (2.80") at least.

At the very least – BUMP! :D

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't comment more specifically, but I can say generally that cones aren't efficient in terms of footprint and that seems like a lot of donero for the bells and whistles.

For $584, this seems like a heck of a deal by comparison, and with a modest footprint and short height. Although it admittedly lacks the Apex/etc features:
csm_9415.000_61d9501e68.jpg

Recommended for salt water aquariums up to
1,500 liters (400 USgal.).
Immersion depth from 100 to 200 mm
(4 to 8 in.) without setting.
Water flow rate: 900 l/h (238 USgal./h)
Air capacity: 1,000 l/h (264 USgal./h)
Energy consumption: 15 W, 230V/50Hz (15 W, 115V/60Hz)
Skimmer cup volume: 2 liters (.5 USgal.)
Dimensions of the skimmer cup including lid: ø215 x H.218 mm (8.46" x H. 8.58")
Dimensions (L x W x H): 350 x 300 x 440 mm (13.8 x 11.8 x 17.3 in.)
To be able to take off skimmer cup it must be raised by 71 mm (2.80") at least.

At the very least – BUMP! :D

Thanks! I like that it's self adjusting. I'll take a closer look at it

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Nano Reefer, the under tank sump has a stable fixed water depth of 7-3/4".

I need an in-Sump Protein Skimmer, the issue is that the sump in the Red Sea Nano has very little clearance between the outside wall of the sump and the inside of the stand (1") which makes any unit that is not free standing all but impossible to install.

Can someone provide a recommendation for this 28 gallon Nano system, my bio-load should be medium maybe a bit more.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back