Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone please show me where can i get this drain plumbing parts fitting for my skimmer cup?
I'm planning to drill and add a draining hose to my skimmer cup, unfortunately this is the reef octopus 110 and side drilling is my only option. I can't add uniseal because the smallest size of uniseal is 1/2" and its a little large for my skimmer cup.
Any suggestions anyone?
Thank you

e8ef76be1cfd638ab437268c5bde623e.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned about my skimmer:
  • I just set up the new tank
  • Simplicity 120 DC
  • I ran my skimmer in vinegar bath for about 2 hours prior
  • When I first setup the tank, the skimmer was overflowing like crazy wide open with the pump on full blast, it was glorious
  • I understand it takes a week for the skimmer to break in, at least, and since I'm just cycling with dead rock, no skim is probably normal
  • I had turned off the skimmer momentarily, and turned it back on. Now even with the pump full blast, full air, and water level adjusted as high as possible, the bubbles don't make it halfway up the body of the skimmer
The thing that concerns me is, this is usually what all my past tank setups have been like. A great skimmer that did nothing but have bubbles halfway up for years.

Is this normal? Am I just stupidly hypersensitive to this right now?

36852068400_cc8b7b2758_b.jpg

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with a oceanic 14 biocube protein skimmer fitting and working in a jbj nano 12 gallon (I want to put one in one of the rear compartments.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah!! @Dirtrider225 that's from posting too late....

DOC Skimmer 9410
(9410.000)

Recommended for salt water aquariums up to
1,000 liters (265 USgal.).
Immersion depth from 140 to 240 mm (5.5 to 9.5 in.) without setting.
Dimensions without post-filter (L x W x H): 250 x 180 x 415 mm (9.8 x 7.0 x 16.3 in.)
Water flow rate: 900 l/h (237.7 USgal./h)
Air capacity: 600 l/h (158.5 USgal./h)
Energy consumption: 11 W, 230V/50Hz (15 W, 115W/60Hz)
Skimmer cup volume: 0.7 liters (0.2 USgal.)

Instructions for use
1: Deutsch, English, Francais (x9410.8888) 2: Italiano, Espanol, РУССКИЙ (x9410.8882)
All suitable spare parts
pfeil_schwarz.gif
movie.png
Video - Doc Skimmer 9410

329.99 USD

There's a DC model too.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone
I have a question about my Skimmer. It is a NYOS quantum 160 running since Feb/17. For some reason it will run good for 2-4 wks with no issues then all the sudden it wants to pull too much water into the cup even though nothing has changed, nothing added nothing dieing etc. It usually happens after I clean it which is done 2 time a wk or more if needed. It sits in about 8" of water. I have tried anywhere from 6.5 to 9", water & air 1/2 to completely closed all the way to fully open to fix this issue with no luck. IF I leave the drain plug off to keep it from filling in 30 seconds it sometimes fixes itself after 2-3 days but this is not good for the tank I think. Any ideas????
My tanks is 185gl with a Trigger ruby 30 sump setup for reef. I don't have any dosing stuff setup ($) but the corals I have seem to be fine.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone
I have a question about my Skimmer. It is a NYOS quantum 160 running since Feb/17. For some reason it will run good for 2-4 wks with no issues then all the sudden it wants to pull too much water into the cup even though nothing has changed, nothing added nothing dieing etc. It usually happens after I clean it which is done 2 time a wk or more if needed. It sits in about 8" of water. I have tried anywhere from 6.5 to 9", water & air 1/2 to completely closed all the way to fully open to fix this issue with no luck. IF I leave the drain plug off to keep it from filling in 30 seconds it sometimes fixes itself after 2-3 days but this is not good for the tank I think. Any ideas????
My tanks is 185gl with a Trigger ruby 30 sump setup for reef. I don't have any dosing stuff setup ($) but the corals I have seem to be fine.

When you say "clean it" are you referring to the collection cup only or the skimmer body and pump?
How are you cleaning it?

doc_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at the Regal 250INT 10" Internal Protein Skimmer (VarioS) - Reef Octopus. Does anyone have any feedback on this skimmer? Approx 160gal of total water vol. now. I know its over kill. But planing to go up to 300gal. In a couple years.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy for what you have now.

It's hard enough without involving "what might be". :)

If the skimmer you get is a poor fit for the next tank, then you can sell it and switch. You'll have a whole tank's worth of gear to dispense with anyway.....don't start sweating that now with your skimmer choice. ;)

For example, a DOC Skimmer 9410 would be about right for your current setup.....but probably on the small side for the next system.

The DOC Skimmer 9415 would be about right for a 300 gallon setup, but probably overkill for your current setup. The larger neck is likely to require more organics than a little system will provide, plus the skimmer is huge compared to the right size.

Of course the DC versions of those skimmers provide somewhat of a grey area....but not enough to warrant cross-over skimmers. IMO, selecting "middle of the road" between your current tank size and the hypothetical future tank size just leaves you with mediocre skimmer performance....and not really any advantage that I can think of.

The right size skimmer is a better choice. Sell it with the rest of the old system when you're ready to move on. Keep it simple. :)

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys feel about
Reef Octopus Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer? Just ordered that to replace my Bubble Magus Curve 5 which I been trying to dial in for over a month... btw I have Red Sea Reefer 350

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangerous to ask AFTER you ordered! ;)

It should be pretty similar to the curve to dial in I would think. What problem have you been having?

Jonathan Nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo-

In your experience what would be the best skimmer for a 55 gallon mixed reef (bang for buck)? In sump type would be preferred.

Currently have a cheapo JEBO that is not impressive to say the least.
I have been using a Skimz Kone SK181 from BRS and it works great. easy to tune and great foot print with the pump being internal. Large collection cup as well.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the circumference of the body of the tunze doc 9415 or 9430 skimmers. I have a 8.5" space that they have to get through. Not sure how large these actually are.

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many options out there for skimmers. Wondering what the options are for a 230 gallon roughly sps dominated reef these days. The constraints are it must fit through a 8.5 inch hole between stand and sump. And height is an issue. Must not be taller than 23"

I am currently running a vertex omega 150 but think it is undersized for my needs. Let me know your suggestions on good skimmers I should look at.

Ones I have been eyeing up are the simplicity 540dc, the RO 200int elite (would barely fit do to width and height), eshopps x200.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back