Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. cchomistek

cchomistek Active Member

Anyone know the circumference of the body of the tunze doc 9415 or 9430 skimmers. I have a 8.5" space that they have to get through. Not sure how large these actually are.

2. cchomistek

cchomistek Active Member

Too many options out there for skimmers. Wondering what the options are for a 230 gallon roughly sps dominated reef these days. The constraints are it must fit through a 8.5 inch hole between stand and sump. And height is an issue. Must not be taller than 23"

I am currently running a vertex omega 150 but think it is undersized for my needs. Let me know your suggestions on good skimmers I should look at.

Ones I have been eyeing up are the simplicity 540dc, the RO 200int elite (would barely fit do to width and height), eshopps x200.

3. Ferrell

Ferrell Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Ok here’s one for you Skimz guys. Just filled my tank and sump and all working well. Skimmer is REALLY working. Skimz model SM167. What I mean to say is i have it running at half speed in 8” if water and wide open flow and it was going crazy. Made a 1” egg crate stand this morning when I got home from work and started back up, half speed and wide open flow and air and it was fine. Now when I get up it’s flowing over like mad. Is this normal for break in? It’s been some years since I had a skimmer (about 15 ) so not sure. No vids to speak of and virtually no instructions.
    Any help or comments appreciated.

image.jpg

4. Khh27

Khh27 Valuable Member

Yes clean it with vinegar really well but it still may overflow a while till fully broken in. Run a pretty low speed so it's going just enough to coat everything then slowly ramp it up every few days to coat some more and break in. It's just had to get all the new oils off of it and coat with crud.

Ferrell likes this.
  5. Khh27

Khh27 Valuable Member

Or take the collection cup off for a few day and let it overflow that way to coat it

6. Ferrell

@Khh27 thanks I washed it initially with just water and then after a day of going wild I took it apart and cleaned it again and made the stand so it was only in the minimum required depth, 7”. I had it running at 50% and it was flooding so I putzed around with the speed until it kinda leveled out. For now it’s okay but goes wild from time too time. Patience is the key I guess. Just getting excited it’s finally coming together. Thanks

7. Ferrell

And the micro bubbles. Will they go away after break in?

8. Khh27

Khh27 Valuable Member

Yes.

9. Ferrell

Thank goodness. Appreciate your quick input

10. Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck Member

Hey everyone!
    I'm still in the set-up/purchase mode for a mixed reef on a 60x24x24 and have been for about two years now. I have a trigger 34 sump and plan to run chemipure and chaeto. I never really considered not running a skimmer, but the BRS reports on the effectiveness of a chaeto refugium and the fact I will have a mixed reef vs. a SPS dominant set-up has me reconsidering. Well, OK it's about trying to stay within budget too. I know that you absolutely can have a successful reef without one, but why then do so many reefers have them? If I go skimmerless will I be in for major algae issues that I would not have otherwise? I guess what I am wondering is what would be the ramifications for not using a skimmer? Not a wise idea or really not a bad idea? What do you all think?

11. schaNYC

schaNYC Member Partner Member 2018

Looking at similar group of skimmers:

RO elite 150INT- leaning toward this as I’m not finding negative reviews really. Just not many reviews in general. Float valve and 3rd party controller friendly are nice features. May also do the RO varios 6 for return pump and keep in all in the same family.

NYOS 160- lots of varied flow features I wouldn’t use. Some quality issues reported with pumps failing and some have difficulty in running consistent foam after break in period. Looks like a Ferrari and some have zero issues with it so still a contender.

Vertex 180i- broken impeller issues reported and poor customer service apparently. This may explain the 40% discount I’m seeing on BRS, along with the poor reviews. Discount juicy enough to be a contender.

Thoughts?

12. Shelbytwp123

Shelbytwp123 Active Member Partner Member 2018

Question no model in particular just brand ... skimz vs vertex vs reef octopus...

13. Dirtrider225

Dirtrider225 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I ended up going with a used BK mini 180 gen 3

14. pdiehm

pdiehm Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

looking at replacing my EM200. Having some issues, some pieces have broken off of the needlewheel. Black friday deals are as good as any.

120 gallon tank, sps dominated, probably 10-12 fish when it's all filled up.

Skimmers I am looking at are the Aquamaxx FC-180 and the Vertex Omega 150. Any preference? If not either of them, which would you recommend?

15. Shelbytwp123

Shelbytwp123 Active Member Partner Member 2018

I would go with Skimz DC pump my self

16. Empress

Empress Well-Known Member

I'm about ready to build my own sump for a bigger skimmer and I need to know what the water level is but I can't find the information anywhere.

This is what I'm looking to buy:

Bubble-Magus Curve B11. Does anybody know what the recommended water level is for this product?

17. frcarvajal

frcarvajal Active Member

Hello everyone!

I'm actually building my new 140-gallon system. I have a skimmer question. I'm actually running a Bubble Magus Curve 5 on a 80-gallon system, and I don't know if that skimmer will be enough for my new system.. My stocking lists is just a purple tang, yellow tang, pair of clownfish and a few corals colonies. I also have an AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 but I think that will be overkill! any suggestion?

18. mcarroll

mcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

DOC Skimmer 9415:
    [​IMG]

DOC Skimmer 9430:
    [​IMG]

The bottom does not come off, but the pump and outlet assembly do. The rest of the dimensions for each model are under the links.

19. kashman100

kashman100 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Anyone have the new Reef Octopus Essence 130 skimmer? Just wondering how you like it

Kallor likes this.
  20. Daniel Chandler

Daniel Chandler New Member

I have a SWC skimmer no clue on size as I got it used from someone leaving the hobby. The pump has issues, it will start to kinda vibrate now and water gets pushed up and then sucked out of the air hose anyone have an idea to get it working properly again so I can stand to run it and not worry about it stopping anymore?

Draft saved Draft deleted