Skimmer Q&A Thread

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here’s one for you Skimz guys. Just filled my tank and sump and all working well. Skimmer is REALLY working. Skimz model SM167. What I mean to say is i have it running at half speed in 8” if water and wide open flow and it was going crazy. Made a 1” egg crate stand this morning when I got home from work and started back up, half speed and wide open flow and air and it was fine. Now when I get up it’s flowing over like mad. Is this normal for break in? It’s been some years since I had a skimmer (about 15 ) so not sure. No vids to speak of and virtually no instructions.
Any help or comments appreciated.

image.jpg

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes clean it with vinegar really well but it still may overflow a while till fully broken in. Run a pretty low speed so it's going just enough to coat everything then slowly ramp it up every few days to coat some more and break in. It's just had to get all the new oils off of it and coat with crud.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or take the collection cup off for a few day and let it overflow that way to coat it

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes clean it with vinegar really well but it still may overflow a while till fully broken in. Run a pretty low speed so it's going just enough to coat everything then slowly ramp it up every few days to coat some more and break in. It's just had to get all the new oils off of it and coat with crud.
@Khh27 thanks I washed it initially with just water and then after a day of going wild I took it apart and cleaned it again and made the stand so it was only in the minimum required depth, 7”. I had it running at 50% and it was flooding so I putzed around with the speed until it kinda leveled out. For now it’s okay but goes wild from time too time. Patience is the key I guess. Just getting excited it’s finally coming together. Thanks

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I'm still in the set-up/purchase mode for a mixed reef on a 60x24x24 and have been for about two years now. I have a trigger 34 sump and plan to run chemipure and chaeto. I never really considered not running a skimmer, but the BRS reports on the effectiveness of a chaeto refugium and the fact I will have a mixed reef vs. a SPS dominant set-up has me reconsidering. Well, OK it's about trying to stay within budget too. I know that you absolutely can have a successful reef without one, but why then do so many reefers have them? If I go skimmerless will I be in for major algae issues that I would not have otherwise? I guess what I am wondering is what would be the ramifications for not using a skimmer? Not a wise idea or really not a bad idea? What do you all think?

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to upgrade to a 120 fatboy. Tank is going to be mixed reef likely, may favor lps corals and anemones however. Going to use a 40 breeder as a sump and may try the triton method so i will likely have a large refugium. I have the choice narrowed down to 3 skimmers.

Reef Octopus Elite 150INT $549
Nyos Quantum 160 $500
Deltec 1455 $430

I dont want to go any higher in price and will likely look for a used one of these. Whats everyones opinions on the 3 listed?

Looking at similar group of skimmers:

RO elite 150INT- leaning toward this as I’m not finding negative reviews really. Just not many reviews in general. Float valve and 3rd party controller friendly are nice features. May also do the RO varios 6 for return pump and keep in all in the same family.

NYOS 160- lots of varied flow features I wouldn’t use. Some quality issues reported with pumps failing and some have difficulty in running consistent foam after break in period. Looks like a Ferrari and some have zero issues with it so still a contender.

Vertex 180i- broken impeller issues reported and poor customer service apparently. This may explain the 40% discount I’m seeing on BRS, along with the poor reviews. Discount juicy enough to be a contender.

Thoughts?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at similar group of skimmers:

RO elite 150INT- leaning toward this as I’m not finding negative reviews really. Just not many reviews in general. Float valve and 3rd party controller friendly are nice features. May also do the RO varios 6 for return pump and keep in all in the same family.

NYOS 160- lots of varied flow features I wouldn’t use. Some quality issues reported with pumps failing and some have difficulty in running consistent foam after break in period. Looks like a Ferrari and some have zero issues with it so still a contender.

Vertex 180i- broken impeller issues reported and poor customer service apparently. This may explain the 40% discount I’m seeing on BRS, along with the poor reviews. Discount juicy enough to be a contender.

Thoughts?
I ended up going with a used BK mini 180 gen 3

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at replacing my EM200. Having some issues, some pieces have broken off of the needlewheel. Black friday deals are as good as any.

120 gallon tank, sps dominated, probably 10-12 fish when it's all filled up.

Skimmers I am looking at are the Aquamaxx FC-180 and the Vertex Omega 150. Any preference? If not either of them, which would you recommend?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about ready to build my own sump for a bigger skimmer and I need to know what the water level is but I can't find the information anywhere.

This is what I'm looking to buy:

Bubble-Magus Curve B11. Does anybody know what the recommended water level is for this product?

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm actually building my new 140-gallon system. I have a skimmer question. I'm actually running a Bubble Magus Curve 5 on a 80-gallon system, and I don't know if that skimmer will be enough for my new system.. My stocking lists is just a purple tang, yellow tang, pair of clownfish and a few corals colonies. I also have an AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 but I think that will be overkill! any suggestion?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the circumference of the body of the tunze doc 9415 or 9430 skimmers. I have a 8.5" space that they have to get through. Not sure how large these actually are.

DOC Skimmer 9415:
csm_9415.000_e47077cfd4.jpg

DOC Skimmer 9430:
csm_9430.000_2ffdec7e38.jpg

The bottom does not come off, but the pump and outlet assembly do. The rest of the dimensions for each model are under the links.

Daniel Chandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SWC skimmer no clue on size as I got it used from someone leaving the hobby. The pump has issues, it will start to kinda vibrate now and water gets pushed up and then sucked out of the air hose anyone have an idea to get it working properly again so I can stand to run it and not worry about it stopping anymore?

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had Nyos 160 it was a piece of crap. my old BM Curve 5 worked better than that how ever it looked like a supermodel. So i got rid of it and got
31nlwnP6GdL.jpg
best skimmer i have ever owned yet. its sitting in 9.75 inches of water and i dont think it had brake in period well i dont even think i washed it at all droped it in water and let it rip... dark stinky skim-mate and after shut down for clean up always i mean always goes back to setting . Havent adjusted it yet since the original fine tune

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi isaacalves,
I have the Nyos Quantum 160 and love it. Yes, about every 2-3 months I completely disassemble the skimmer and give it a vinegar bath when it won't restart on its own and that solves the problem. Also, instead of blowing into the airline, pick the skimmer up just out of the water in the sump and it will start up again until you have time to clean it.
shouldn't have to go thru all that with 500$ skimmer...what happens when you not at home for few days and power flickers or goes out?again may or may not be a big deal but i returned mine not willing to deal with that. in this hobby we already have way to many things that could and do go wrong dont need to pay 500$ and than knowingly deal with it

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back