Skimmer Q&A Thread

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I've just received my DELTEC protein skimmer. It's quite a daunting piece of equipment.

I wanted to what is this red knurled-screw is for?

and what is that for?

Thank in advance.

Red Screw no idea but it looks like it is holding that T fitting in place. Whatever it is it is securing something in place

The cup thingy next to the collection cup is an air silencer to keep the noise down. After you get that thing installed and running remove it and you will know why it is there

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I've got one for you guys. I just picked up a new 210 6' tank. I've got a 4' 75g that I'm going to turn into the sump and a Deltec TC-2560..... it's a monster. I realize the TC is an external skimmer... but would it be possible to run it in sump? If so... Help :)
fullsizeoutput_85d.jpeg
IMG_0949.JPG

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pumps looks to be a internal/external pump which is some of the reason why some skimmer can be run internal. With that in mind the only other issue I would see is keeping it internal changes the head pressure inside the skimmer so I would pay attention to the water depth but with a little trial and error with dialing it in (as with any skimmer really) I dont see why I could not run internally. They make an internal and external model and I really dont see much difference between the 2

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your sump be under your tank? If so I'd be concerned about clearance to remove that beast from the sump for cleaning! The only other issues would be getting the right depth in the water and any back pressure on the outflow like you have already mentioned.

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That’s a concern as well. I could run it external but still in the cabinet but then I’m lit of room. No ato resivoir or dosing containers.

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your sump be under your tank? If so I'd be concerned about clearance to remove that beast from the sump for cleaning! The only other issues would be getting the right depth in the water and any back pressure on the outflow like you have already mentioned.

It does have the auto neck cleaner squeegee, and the top bits come off easy without having to remove the entire skimmer. Still it’s a monster. I’ll have just under 300g in the whole system and this thing is rated for 550-650g. Any idea what it would sell for? It’s used but super clean.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough question to answer usually if it is in good shape I would say 50% of what it would cost new is a safe asking price and see what people offer. This model has been discontinued so its hard to find one for sale online. I did find one overseas for 1200 euros which is about $1400. So around 600-700 would seem like a good asking price IMO.

Steve509

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much skimmer experience but the Aquamaxx cone s co-1 I used on my 65 gallon worked very well and required little break in.

Matthew the clutch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1518036506.972266.jpg

So idk what happened to my skimmer last night. I saw that it was overflowing so I emptied it out and cleaned it and when I came back to put the cup back on I noticed the water level in the skimmer was really low. It’s not coming back up to the right spot and is building up waste way to low. I didn’t touch anything when I took the cup off soo?? Anyone know what might have happened?? No matter what I do with that knob that you turn to open it up and close the air nothing helps the water come up. Is something broken ??

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthew the clutch Time for a cleaning. :)

Make sure the air intake line is not blocked at all. Especially check the opening in the pump where the hose connects...salt creep can build up there. It's especially likely with an open air-intake since the air can be so dry.

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the pump itself. I like to vinegar clean my pump and impeller regularly. The needlewheel impellers are very good at getting algae or chaeto stuck in them and that will affect performance and can break your impeller.

So idk what happened to my skimmer last night. I saw that it was overflowing so I emptied it out and cleaned it and when I came back to put the cup back on I noticed the water level in the skimmer was really low. It’s not coming back up to the right spot and is building up waste way to low. I didn’t touch anything when I took the cup off soo?? Anyone know what might have happened?? No matter what I do with that knob that you turn to open it up and close the air nothing helps the water come up. Is something broken ??

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I can hook up a Bubble Blaster HY1000 to a Reef Octopus 150ext Recirculating skimmer? Trying to see if that would help it be more efficient in terms of DOC removal. Thanks!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sounds to me like maybe somethings stuck blocking water into the intake. if the air venturi were clogged the water level inside would rise, not lower.

other two maybe's are impeller assembly is spinning, or pump is nose diving

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am looking for a replacement skimmer for my 120-gal. I had a Bubble Magus BM series and the pump just went up a couple weeks ago. According to Bubble Magus they no longer make the replacement pump and the recommended replacement pump requires an upgrade kit that is no longer available.... so, i am looking for a new skimmer and figured i would try here first. I would like to stay in the $200 to $250 range and i need an internal (inside sump) style pump. i believe i have a medium to heavy bio-load system. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out the overstock for reefdynamics INS135S ($ 240.00). just google INS135S.
they use common sicce pumps that are easily replaced down the road.

i would give you the retailer but dont want to get in trouble. I have a INS80s and it's the best performer I've used. sorry for the sideways pic.
reefdynamics ins80s.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back