Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new skimmer for a medium stocked 120 (40 sump). I currently have an older SWC 160 skimmer (Sicce psk 2500 pump) I bought used and have run for a couple years. Budget is 500ish (can go higher but of course would love to go less :)) I feel performance has dropped off and I'm considering replacement. I was reading about recirc vs non and watching videos but opinions are conflicted. What skimmers would you purchase and why? Longevity is important - I fear change :)

LFS likes Curve 7 any experience with Bubble Magus?

the BB Magus curves have the rock or DC pumps and longevity seems to be an hit or miss in many threads. I had one of the early NAC6 skimmers and the rock pump died after 2 months. They can perform really good though.

I would look at a skimmer with a sicce for longevity at that price range.

JNS CO2 or 3, Aquamaxx (essentially JNS), eshopps axioms and maybe the INS80S or INS135S.
The INS series are the the now defunct reefdynamics skimmers and there should be some overstock available. their design has no bubble plate and their reaction chamber is really good. the sicces are pretty much interchangeable.

I am currently running an ATB nano one skimmer at home with their jecod DC pump and it's performing great. But jury is still out on the new jecod pumps that ATB switched to (think they are on sale). I have an reefdynamics INS80S that I've run which is a skimming machine. It's (INS80S) sitting standbye while I run this ATB skimmer for a while.

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reetivo, I've tried several depths and just don't seem to get much. Set my Hydor skimmer next to it and got a little skimmate for about a week but it has slowed also.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reetivo, I've tried several depths and just don't seem to get much. Set my Hydor skimmer next to it and got a little skimmate for about a week but it has slowed also.

10-4

hopefully the tank is doing okay during the search. Another line thats non DC pump is the ice cap line that use a solid pump. You mentioned something that would last so i listed some non-DC units (lots more out there) but if you decide you may try the DC driven skimmers, ATB usa has a sale "I think" on the 840's and the Reefocto regalINT's get good reviews along with the simplicity skimmers. All are around or below your price range. Wish i still had my old 840 with the askoll pump. Sold it due to down sizing but it was a no fuss no muss skimmer.

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey random question and probably a pretty noob-ish question. I've never ran an external skimmer and never looked into them until now. I have a Reef Octopus SRO-5000ext. My question is, does the drain have to be above the water level of my sump. AKA does it have to gavity drain or does head pressure matter? It would only be 6" or so

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question I use the Reef Octopus SUPER REEF OCTOPUS SRO-3000SSS. It says my recommended depth is 6 to 6.5 inches deep
will I decrease the performance if I am not quite that deep? I need to make a new skimmer stand. Let me know thanks.

Rmarget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I will be picking up a 130 gallon seamless bow front tank this weekend. I am looking for advice on what skimmer you would recommend for a tank that size. I plan on buying a trigger systems sapphire 34 sump. Skimmer section measures 10”x14”
Thanks.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new skimmer for a medium stocked 120 (40 sump). I currently have an older SWC 160 skimmer (Sicce psk 2500 pump) I bought used and have run for a couple years.

DOC Skimmer 9410 if you gotta upgrade, but what's wrong with the skimmer you have?

Hi everyone, I will be picking up a 130 gallon seamless bow front tank this weekend. I am looking for advice on what skimmer you would recommend for a tank that size. I plan on buying a trigger systems sapphire 34 sump. Skimmer section measures 10”x14”
Thanks.

DOC Skimmer 9410, as above. :)

The AquaC EV-120 would also be an excellent candidate for either of you....loved both skimmers. :)

skittulici

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
What is your opinion on second hand skimmers? Is it worth it. I mean I found one year old skimmers on ebay that look brand new at half the price of new one. Are there any parts that could fail faster or age faster? The brand I’m looking for is Bubble Magus Curve 5 for a 45 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump.
Thank you

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer using the search feature. Does use of activated carbon visibly reduce the amount of skimmate produced?

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
What is your opinion on second hand skimmers? Is it worth it. I mean I found one year old skimmers on ebay that look brand new at half the price of new one. Are there any parts that could fail faster or age faster? The brand I’m looking for is Bubble Magus Curve 5 for a 45 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump.
Thank you

Any equipment can fail! but in my experience, I have bought second-hand equipment and they still running great for years! I also bought brand new equipment that failed within a week or two. I would say it depends on your luck... the only difference is, there's no guarantee on second-hand equipment while on brand new (bought from authorized sellers ) you can have a full warranty.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of getting a 225 gallon tank and 50 gallon sump. I would like a Skimmer recommendation. I want something that is reliable. Does not need to be the newest must have. Budget is up to $800. I would be happy spending less Thank you!

Matthew England

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of setting up a 75 with a 29 sump. I've still got to build the stand, which I hope to get done this weekend. I have a new reef octopus classic 150 internal. My question is this- is it ok to "break in" the new skimmer in regular tap water with dechlorinator, or does it need to be done in saltwater? I just finished building the sump, and was water testing it with tap water, then just thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak, and set the skimmer in too.. Will this make a difference?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of setting up a 75 with a 29 sump. I've still got to build the stand, which I hope to get done this weekend. I have a new reef octopus classic 150 internal. My question is this- is it ok to "break in" the new skimmer in regular tap water with dechlorinator, or does it need to be done in saltwater? I just finished building the sump, and was water testing it with tap water, then just thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak, and set the skimmer in too.. Will this make a difference?

needs to be in salt water and have a bio load to break in. If there is no bio load, the slime coat will never develop and the skimmer won't be able to be tuned.

if you want to run it in tap water with some vinegar to help clean residual production oils/chemical etc., that would be fine, but a skimmer won't break in without salt water and bio load.

Tivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of getting a 225 gallon tank and 50 gallon sump. I would like a Skimmer recommendation. I want something that is reliable. Does not need to be the newest must have. Budget is up to $800. I would be happy spending less Thank you!
check out the Reef Octopus elite series. The 200INT would be a good fit. solid reviews!

also the JNS coneS series CO-3

Matthew England

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needs to be in salt water and have a bio load to break in. If there is no bio load, the slime coat will never develop and the skimmer won't be able to be tuned.

if you want to run it in tap water with some vinegar to help clean residual production oils/chemical etc., that would be fine, but a skimmer won't break in without salt water and bio load.

Tivo
Thanks

Elwood Dowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a skimmer that I promised not to name directly by brand or model until it is released for sale.

I dont know a ton about the technical aspects of a skimmer and what we are really looking for in terms of air/water flow, body size etc.

I am currently running a Bubble magus curve 5 on a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. It does a great job.

Here are the specs on the skimmer i was given:
Dc controlled
Max 4000rpm
330 gph max adjustable air intake
668 max adjustable water intake
Acrylic wine glass body
Plastic 1/2 gal collection cup
20" tall
11.5" x. 9" base
External drain tube with a valve

Based on stats is this worth giving a go?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back